Fishroom Frezny

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

now that is how u clean steel. u need to give eric a few pointers. ps ocean's by design ate up all my wire and gas. are we doing this next weekend or week after?

Cool thats what he gets for practicing on our steel:clap2:

Mojo

The stand or the back of the tank?

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.

The stand may be yellow, havent got the material for that yet.
The back of the tank is going to be something very very different. I have yet to see a tank with this type of background.

Cool thats what he gets for practicing on our steel:clap2:

Mojo

Practice, practice, practice.... makes perfect!!!! LOL
Mine looks better cause I cheated. I made a jig so I could sit down while I was doing it. On top of that I didnt have to race anybody, or feel I needed to catch up or keep up. LMAO !!!!!!

I cut 10 more gussets today and smoothed out the feet.
Talked to Nick and got the OK to cut the rest of the pieces. Should have every thing cut and prepped by the end of the week

Practice, practice, practice.... makes perfect!!!! LOL
Mine looks better cause I cheated. I made a jig so I could sit down while I was doing it. On top of that I didnt have to race anybody, or feel I needed to catch up or keep up. LMAO !!!!!!

Oh man no racing on ours, just looking to keep you and Eric in metal...well and getting enough out their to have a smoke break:smokin: I would say cutting all that steel got old around the 10th piece...it got brutal around the 50th piece, lol We will be passing on that job next time:painkiller:

Oh man no racing on ours, just looking to keep you and Eric in metal...well and getting enough out their to have a smoke break:smokin: I would say cutting all that steel got old around the 10th piece...it got brutal around the 50th piece, lol We will be passing on that job next time:painkiller:

I know of a union guy that could cut up your steel!!!!

hmm.... go union or go home. why make a 15$ an hr. when u can make 45.90$ an hr on the check and 76.30$ total package. kinda no brainer if u ask me.

I know of a union guy that could cut up your steel!!!!

Ahhhh we had one!! but he ended up having to spend to much time having to sand them square??:tape:

hmm.... go union or go home. why make a 15$ an hr. when u can make 45.90$ an hr on the check and 76.30$ total package. kinda no brainer if u ask me.

thats what China keeps saying to!?!?!

mojo

dont be jealous. and the uniun guy sanding to get square sounds like a carpenter not a tinbender.

BIG, BIG, day for my build.
I threw my cut and ground pieces of steel into the back of the Ford and headed off to Senjay's house to weld it all together.
standbuild001.jpg

Nicks tool of choice for this stand
standbuild002.jpg

Didnt take long for Nick to get busy
standbuild003.jpg

Top platform all layed out and ready for some beads
standbuild005.jpg

Two of the 8 legs sticking up
standbuild006.jpg

That didnt take long!!
standbuild010.jpg

Next to be welded up are the bottom platform members
standbuild011.jpg

Before I go on I have to give props were props are due.
As some of who have followed some of my previous builds, you know I can be quite meticulous, and pay very close attention to detail. So when I asked Nick to weld my stand I knew I would be there to see that it would pass my tolerance test.
I am here to tell you Nick's attention to detail and tolerances are second to none. Nothing was tacked or welded until it was SPOT ON. His knowledge and welding talents soon proved to me I was in good hand, and would drive away a happy man with a quality steel stand.
Thanks Nick!!!!!!!! You ROCK buddie.

I have a few more shots of the build

I like it straight
standbuild013.jpg

standbuild014.jpg

standbuild015.jpg

It dont get any straighter than this
standbuild016.jpg

Stay tuned!!

standbuild016.jpg

standbuild016.jpg

It dont gat any straighter than that!!!!

Last edited:
SO now all of the bottom platform members are in place and tacked
standbuild018.jpg

Today I was taught how to rack and square a 3 dimensional cube. We had to pull out one of the heavier straps to pull the unit into square
standbuild019.jpg

standbuild020.jpg

standbuild021.jpg

Some of Nick's handy work. 90% of these beads will NOT need to see the ugly side of a grinder. The other 10% are on the top of the platform and have to be ground to allow the plywood to set flat.
standbuild024.jpg

standbuild026.jpg

was happy to help and any1 who wants it. i know it sucks being a perfectionist and with steel nonetheless. no easy task. but me and metal are one it behaves for me and i wont have to hit it with a sledge to keep it inline. lol

As most of you know this tank and stand will sit in the garage, and be viewed thru the wall. Needless to say a garage floor is never level.
This is a simple solution for a unlevel floor. Nick assured me that a 3/4'' bolt would hold the weight of the tank, so I used 1'' bolts. LOL
The foot is 6'' X 6'' X 1/4''
standbuild027.jpg

standbuild028.jpg

standbuild029.jpg

I used two different size of washers to disperse the weight and keep the bolt centered on the bottom of the leg
standbuild031.jpg

standbuild032.jpg

standbuild034.jpg

standbuild035.jpg

How about I just call you SHAGGY??? You know the guy on Scooby Do. LOL

SENJI SENJI SENJI SENJI SENJI

I am practicing

Back