Fishroom Frezny

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Doesn't get much better watching playoffs and enjoying your sharing! Good stuff:):popcorn:

Thanks Spinner.
I am pretty sure someone out there will get a new idea for something they may build in the future. I know I have stole many design and ideas from something I have seen in the past.
It doesnt get much better when you are able to make something that will work the way you designed it to work.

Play Day!!!!
I got started with cutting up the 6'' neck.
SkimLoc-cup001.jpg

I needed to cut 2 pieces, The short one is 2'' it will go between the twist lock flange and the base of the cup.
The larger one is 4'' and it will go inside the cup
SkimLoc-cup002.jpg

I went to my silicone gasket supplier and got a small piece to test the seal between the base of the twist lock and the top of the twist lock. It is a 3/16'' diam gasket so I cut a 7/32 wide slot in the base of the twist lock to insert the gasket in
SkimLoc-cup003.jpg

I wish I had a constructive use for this white fuzz LOL
SkimLoc-cup005.jpg

The top piece of the locking flange needed to be thinned down to allow for the thickness of the gasket it will sit on (smush down) after a couple of tests, I ended up reducing the thickness by about 3/16''.
You can also see I have marked the ears to have a slight decline at the ends. All the ears, on both ends will have this tapper. It will force the top down on to the gasket and compress it.
SkimLoc-cup008.jpg

Couple of 10lbs clamps
SkimLoc-cup009.jpg

Sometimes I wonder how I get any thing done in a mess like this. Men are Pigs!!! LOL
SkimLoc-cup010.jpg

Last edited:
OMG bud. You are starting to look like my workspace after a typical hour in it. Where did I put that tape measure again??? Of yeah it's right there under the masking tape, hammer & sandpaper with the my cell phone balancing on top so I can check RF for the latest. Nice work my friend. I don't think there will be a piece in this build that you haven't laid your fingers too by the time it's complete (if it ever will be complete).

OMG bud. You are starting to look like my workspace after a typical hour in it. Where did I put that tape measure again??? Of yeah it's right there under the masking tape, hammer & sandpaper with the my cell phone balancing on top so I can check RF for the latest. Nice work my friend. I don't think there will be a piece in this build that you haven't laid your fingers too by the time it's complete (if it ever will be complete).
Thanks Eric,
Once I get on a roll it is hard for me to stop and clean up. Before I turn on ANY tools next time out to the shop, I will have to organize for sure!! There will be a few things in this build that will be store bought, the key word is few. LOL
I am almost finished with the skimmer and skimmer section. I am pretty sure that windows are next on my to do list. (Damn) There goes Play Days for a while.

I spent the day getting my sump set up and running, I had to redo my plumbing. I will get some pics up as soon as I get my new fish out of quarantine. I talked my wife into going up to Barrier Reef for their sale, she bought 4 Banggai Cardinals and a Royal Gramma to put in the tank. They are in quarantine right now but as soon as I get them transferred I will get pic's posted.

After I got all the flanges and bases welded to the neck pieces I needed to cut out the 6'' centers
SkimLoc-cup011.jpg

Welding the top twist lock neck flange to the bottom of the cup. It had to be flush on the inside of the neck. That is what the pointed wood is for.
SkimLoc-cup012.jpg

SkimLoc-cup013.jpg

A couple of shots of the bottom half of the twist lock. The seams look good, bubble free
SkimLoc-cup014.jpg

SkimLoc-cup015.jpg

SkimLoc-cup016.jpg

The cup is 10'' diam by 6'' tall, The 6'' neck is 2'' short of the top. I installed an 8'' foam diffuser on the lid
SkimLoc-cup017.jpg

SkimLoc-cup020.jpg

This is a shot of the tappered ears. This will allow me to turn the cup left or right to force it down on to the gasket
SkimLoc-cup019.jpg

Thats a long way down!!
SkimLoc-cup023.jpg

SkimLoc-cup024.jpg

Here comes the money shot!!!
SkimLoc-cup021.jpg

SkimLoc-cup022.jpg

I wish this pic showed a cup full of gunk. Sorry to say it will be close to a year before it needs to be emptied.
SkimLoc-cup025.jpg

looks good, but how is this going to fit under a stand? looks awful tall.

I havent built the stand yet. I can make it any height I choose. As the sump sits now (on the floor) the top of the skimmer is at 57'', so I figure if I build the inside of the stand to be 60'' I will be able to just barely remove the cup for cleaning.
I could possibly cut a hole in the floor and drop the sump to the ground in the crawl space under the house. That will gain me an additional 36''. LOL

Now that looks alot better then the Wedding cake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

Thanks Mike,
That means a lot to me , coming from you. I think the function aspect of the design will be much better this way also.
I might have to go out and buy my Boss Hog stones and a huge air pump and skimm some rocks for a test. LOL

My filtration cabinet will be 10'-6'' long by 8' wide by 10' high. Not as much room as you have Kirk, but much more than most. I think I will have enough room in there to hang up some of my favorite pics of the family, and not have to stand on my head to see them

Way past due for an update!!
It is now officially a "FISHROOM"

fragfish003.jpg

This is the second Pyramid Butterfly Ive bought, the first succumbed to MI.
He will stay in the frag tank for 6-8 weeks before going to the DT.
He has a buddy (Yellow Tang) in the frag tank, just seems to be a little camera shy.
As you can see I added some rock to make them feel a little more like home.
fragfish014.jpg

fragfish011.jpg

fragfish007.jpg

fragfish017.jpg

HUGE, HUGE, news break!!

The wife has just givin me the OK to build the New Tank into the livingroom wall. Hot Damn!!!

5' wide ,4' deep, 30'' tall. That will put me in the over 300gal+ Club.

Going to be a different build than I have done in the past!!!

nice...welcome to the club..looks like your new tank will be close to my gallonage (if that is a word)..lol..

where did u get the yellow face bf? IMO, the only ones that are hardy are from hawaii

Back