Fishroom Frezny

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I moved the mess to the shop today. The 2 100gal divided tanks I bought for the sump and frag/ QT need a little TLC. The tanks are built with 1/4'' material and some of the seams look a little shake. I am going to put in some gussets in all the inside corners.
fishroom012-1.jpg

I ran both sides of these thru the router table do dress the edges, then I put a champfer on both edges. Then I will run them thru the table saw at 3/4''. The champfer will set towards the inside corner of the tank. That will insure the gusset will set flat on both sides of the corner.
I will round over the outside corner so no sharp edges are in the tank
fishroomsump003.jpg

30 some odd pieces ready for round over
fishroomsump004.jpg

A little action with the heat gun and the paper peels right off
fishroomsump005.jpg

I lost count on how many times I had to rotate this tank to weld all of these on the flat
fishroomsump006.jpg

A dash of crazing going on but it will be better than it was. I keep telling myself " Its a Sump"
fishroomsump007.jpg

Now I have to do the top. I gotta crawl up in there!!
fishroomsump009.jpg

I hope this holds!! LOL
fishroomsump010.jpg

fishroomsump008.jpg

Next I will plug some return holes in the overflow boxes. Then I need to figure out how to divide this puppy up for the skimmer and a few reactors.

Looks good Dave let me know if you need a hand

Mike

Thanks Mike,
I will need to pick your brain on how I want to lay out this sump. Or should I say on how this sump needs to be set up!! LOL

It has to house a air driven skimmer, 3 reactors, 40 to 50 lbs of rock, and a small race way.

thats the sump, im going back and doing some reading. I thought that was ur dt peppie! I enjoy ur builds btw keep it up! the race way should be the easy part...

So after a little brain picking session with Mike, he pointed me in the right direction to get this sump functional. His first suggestion was to elevate the sock holder section so that just the bottom few inches of the sock will be in the water. Also the pellet reactor that feeds the skimmer should be sucking in the water straight from the DT.
So that is where I started . I cut out some of the eruo bracing to make it all fit into an 8'' section. I really didnt want to cut the eruo brace. But here it goes.
Dont you just love it when someone cuts up a perfectly sound tank to make it better?????

Mike this cut is for you!!!!

fishroomsump001-2.jpg

The overflow box was in the way.. BYE BYE !!!!!
fishroomsump002-2.jpg

This is the start of a the sock box. This wall will direct the incoming water to the pellet reactor pump.
fishroomsump004-2.jpg

Here are my tools of choice today, less the tablesaw and drill.
fishroomsumpsockbox001.jpg

This will get rid of the sharp edges on the 1/4'' material
fishroomsumpsockbox002.jpg

I think I will need a porthole to get the sock in and out more easily.
fishroomsumpsockbox003.jpg

Some pre assembly
fishroomsumpsockbox004.jpg

fishroomsumpsockbox005.jpg

Some more weld up. The top of the box will be 8'' above the tank and 10'' above the water line. That will put the bottom 4'' of the 4'' sock in the water.
fishroomsumpsockbox006.jpg

fishroomsumpsockbox007.jpg

Front view
fishroomsumpsockbox009.jpg

fishroomsumpsockbox010.jpg

Almost done. Not sure this is how I want the top. I may want it to be removable, and set down on a lip around the inside of the walls
fishroomsumpsockbox011.jpg

fishroomsumpsockbox012.jpg

fishroomsumpsockbox013.jpg

Now don't make me take my Custom Sump/Fuge apart to make it better than yours!...lol

N-I-C-E W-O-R-K as usual Dave, going to be an awesome system when complete my friend.

Cheers, Todd

Thanks guys,
Still rethinking the top. Not sure I will be able to change out socks as easily as I thought originally!
Mojo has once again peed in my cheerios. LOL

I may have to remod my remod.

Mike I was feeling your affection when I was standing on my head cutting out my beautifully shaped side wall!!!

Thanks Jeff, I think if I need protein that bad I will take a slug off my skimmer jug. LOL

So I did as I was advised, I make sense to have full access for the sock instillation
sumpsockholder001.jpg

sumpsockholder003.jpg

This is the shape of the top
sumpsockholder004.jpg

It is hard to see here, but I cut a dado in the circle so the plastic top of the sock will sit down in the circle.
sumpsockholder005.jpg

center brace. dont know if it is needed but it will be there
sumpsockholder006.jpg

It will look something like this
sumpsockholder007.jpg

The bench is so cluttered I had to use a stool to glue the top on
sumpsockholder010.jpg

Wedges in place I'm ready to squirt the seam
sumpsockholder012.jpg

This is the finished dodad to catch fish crap
sumpsockholder013.jpg

sumpsockholder015.jpg

sumpsockholder016.jpg

This shows where the pellet reactor will sit. It will have a Mag5 500gph with a ball valve to tune down the flow. The out put of the pellet reactor will feed directly into the skimmer.
sumpsockholder018.jpg

sumpsockholder019.jpg

sumpsockholder020.jpg

sumpsockholder022.jpg

Next up is a Beast Jr. counter current air stone skimmer!!! I cant wait. LOL

Just a quick update.
I know someone out there will say I am building a Wedding Cake!! LOL
I couldnt help myself when Mike offered me a piece of 12'' X 1/4'' acrylic tube about 13'' tall. I just had to incorporate it into my skimmer. I was advised to use a piece of 10'' right out of the 15'' tall square box that sits in the sump. I just couldnt do it.

So it goes 15' square
12'' X 13'' tall
10'' X 6'' tall
8'' X 8'' tall
6'' X 16'' tall
cup is 10'' x6'' tall
All said and done it will stand a little over 60'' tall, Now set the sump on a 16'' or so stand WOW!!!

Water in will be at the lower part of the 8'' tube, that will give me about 20 gals of water in the mixing chamber at about 33'' of height. Should be able to get some good contact time in that configuration.

OK who will be the first to piss in my cheerios????? LOL
skimmer008.jpg

Just one question here.. Is it strawberry or raspberry filled? I want a piece either way. :D

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Back