Gimmito 450 gal L-shaped display

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Happy New Year to you too! Yes I am a big fan of the Wavy Seas! Your equipment list is impressive and sound choices. I look at it this way. It is better to spend a little more money now on premium quality equipment rather to spend more money replacing inferior equipment later. I hear from fellow reefers all the time. This and that equipment is too expensive but then they go and spend that same money on corals that sometimes they end up losing because they fail to get the proper life support for thier system. I just don't get it sometimes. The LS most of us keep and care for will cost more than your entire system hands down so why not spend a little extra $$$ to properly support and maintain a healthy enviroment for your expensive precious LS. Any how you are doing the right thing. Take your time and think everything through. As a system your size. Mistakes can be costly. Patience is your #1 friend:) in this hobby.

Sarang

Like minds think alike my friend. :lol:

photo-23.jpg

I haven't updated in a while...been working on the house.
I bought a bunch of schedule 80 bulkheads, uni-seals, & a hole cutting kit at Bulk Reef Supply (20 % off the schedule 80 plumbing ). The hole saw set was less than 15 bucks...you can't beat it. I drilled the frag tank stand for the bulkhead to go through. I wanted to drill out either the frag tank or sump underneath for a quick water change...what do you guys think ? I'm also going with a 2" bulkhead and elbow for the return pump, since I don't have alot of room to play with next to the sump.
Up next is to buy a bunch of 8' x 12' sheets of formica to line the hood, sump, & frag tank area and order the reeflo hammerhead so I can start plumbing.

photo-29.jpg

I traded some frags with a fellow reefer for this used quarantine tank. It measures roughly 2' x 2' and has 6 cubicles that measure 8" x 11" x 8". I remember talking to Matt Wandell during the SF Tank Tour, he mentioned they use similiar systems to acclimate their fish and inverts at the Steinhart Aquarium. It's made by a company named Minireef...anybody heard of these them ?

photo-37.jpg

I got a chance to finish up the electrical for the tanks. I added 15 additional outlets for the main display, frag tank, fuge, & qt. Now I have to rock it and cover the rock w/FRP (Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic).

photo-30.jpg

photo-36.jpg

I finished the manifold the other day. It has five 1 1/2" outlets that will probably be reduced to one 1". I'm thinking of using the new Oceans Motions omniflex nozzles. The flow can be fine tuned by the 5 tru unions ball valves which can be broke open for easy service.

What's up Sarang,

You know me...little by little. ;)

I'm shooting for sometime during the summer to have things running. I'm going to be using about 250 lbs. of Marco Key Largo rock. I'm trying to decide whether to use schedule 80 for the framework or fiberglass rods and thorite. Any thoughts ?

What's up Sarang,

You know me...little by little. ;)

I'm shooting for sometime during the summer to have things running. I'm going to be using about 250 lbs. of Marco Key Largo rock. I'm trying to decide whether to use schedule 80 for the framework or fiberglass rods and thorite. Any thoughts ?

Jim....Marco Key Largo rock is great and really pourous too. Im not sure what you should use as I always played the balanceing game with my aquascape.

Here's some pic's of some nice fiji totoka live rock that I got from Patrick (FinalPhaze987). Some really large interesting pieces w/red & purple coralline. I'm cooking them right now while I get to installing those frp panels.

photo-53.jpg

photo-55.jpg

photo-54.jpg

I'm thinking of using cement pavers as a base for the aquascaping. Although, I think cinder blocks might be easier to drill into for rods and zip ties. Any thoughts ?

Back