Gimmito 450 gal L-shaped display

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Sweet thanks for the response and I have already looked at aquatic gallery online and it looks like a nice place which is good especially coming from up here in washington where i have alot of support haha. I was thinking on about 2-3 hundred really depends on how much space me new place will have. I dont think ill be able to talk the wife into removing the fireplace like you did haha. I was gonna have all the sump and pump work in the garage also just want it to be nice and quiet in the house and incase of way overflow it will get the garage wet not the house.

Sweet thanks for the response and I have already looked at aquatic gallery online and it looks like a nice place which is good especially coming from up here in washington where i have alot of support haha. I was thinking on about 2-3 hundred really depends on how much space me new place will have. I dont think ill be able to talk the wife into removing the fireplace like you did haha. I was gonna have all the sump and pump work in the garage also just want it to be nice and quiet in the house and incase of way overflow it will get the garage wet not the house.

Bright minds...think a like.

so hows the tank coming along? done any plumbing yet

Funny you should mention that. I'm still debating on using my 100 gallon sump or having a custom one made. I'm also debating on using schedule 40 or 80 pipe. I did order schedule 80 bulkheads from marine depot...those things aren't cheap ! I've been scouring craigslist & ebay for any deals.

Jim

i know i went down to like lowes for home depot and got some schedule 80 bulkheads before for way cheaper then MD. Also is your 100 gal drilled at all and you should be fine with just that.

i know i went down to like lowes for home depot and got some schedule 80 bulkheads before for way cheaper then MD. Also is your 100 gal drilled at all and you should be fine with just that.

Does Lowes or Home Depot carry heavy duty schedule 80 bulkheads ? That's what I went with at Marine Depot. The sump is predrilled for 2 returns which I will use for the reeflo dart gold pumps.

if my memory serves me right lowes and them do carry 80's but its been awhile since i was in the building phases of tanks lol. I would go with that 100g for your sump but move it to the garage and get one of those fake fireplace's to put in that opening haha would look nice lol.

photo-21.jpg

A buddy in the car painting business helped me paint the acrylic black on the top and bottom to hide the vortechs. Looks a bit like a flag at this point, but we'll see how it looks with the aquascaping in there.

I can always get another piece of acrylic.

photo-18.jpg

photo-19.jpg

photo-16.jpg

photo-15.jpg

Stocking up on schedule 80 true union ball valves, tees, elbows, etc.
I have way more than I need so let me know if any of you guys need any...will trade or sell at a good price.

photo-21.jpg

A buddy in the car painting business helped me paint the acrylic black on the top and bottom to hide the vortechs. Looks a bit like a flag at this point, but we'll see how it looks with the aquascaping in there.

I can always get another piece of acrylic.

Man, nice job! Can't wait to see water in this thing.

Man, nice job! Can't wait to see water in this thing.

Thanks Chichas... added some recepticals today (you can never have too many !), need to get about ten 4' x 8' sheets of white formica to water proof the interior of the the hood, stand, & frag tank area, & installed some bulkheads (those schedule 80 heavy duty are huge).

Here's my equipment list so far:

4 vortech mp40 gen2's
5 lumenbrites regular or wide
5 selectable lumentek 250/400 electronic ballast
4 reeflux 10k or 12k se 400 watt bulbs
1 reeflux 10k or 12k se 250 watt bulb
1 reeflo hammerhead gold pump
1 bubbleking 300 internal

What do you guys think ?

sounds good you need to get some water in this thing lol. so which tank are you running the 250watt bulbs on

sounds good you need to get some water in this thing lol. so which tank are you running the 250watt bulbs on

Hey Slim,

I've seen some of your postings on BARS...did you move down yet ? Be sure to checkout the tank tours (I attended the san francisco one) and the annual swap meet.

I need to get my return pump so I can plumb this bad boy. I already installed the bulkheads in one overflow and Gen will come by and redrill the other drains for the heavy duty shedule 80's. The 250 watt bulb will be for the frag tank by the way. I'm throwing around the idea of using just one fixture over the frag tank on a light rail. What do you think ? I'll use 400's for the main display though. :cool:

I will actually be up living there this week and found an apartment place near moffett naval base. The 250 on a light rack would be cool cause u can simulate the sun more as long as u got some type of moving motor on that light bar to move it around. And I got a really good idea for my tank just have to see the size of the room before I can see how big I can go lol. But I won't have the garage so pumps and sump in stand :(

I've been throwing around the light rail idea for awhile...my only concern was shading. I saw Jar's (Jon) 215 dt on the s.f. tank tour and I saw no noticable shading. I might implement them for the dt also.

Best wishes on the move...maybe I'll see you during a south bay tank tour or one of the BAR meetings.

Last edited:
Back