Gimmito 450 gal L-shaped display

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

My friend Ethan helped me run some double wall duct to my solar attic fan. I'll be installing a panasonic whisper quite fan which will be controlled by a thermostat I bought from Jon (Jar).

photo-63.jpg

photo-65.jpg

photo-72.jpg

photo-73.jpg

I picked up a panasonic whisper quite fan from House of Fans in the city to keep the hood area cool. I'm going to use a temperature controller I bought off Jon to kick on once it hits a presetted temp.

photo-70.jpg

The H&S A150 sitting next to its (dirty) lil brother the H&SA110/F2000 which I'll use for the qt. I'm picking up a H&S A250 for the main display. It seems like I'm a rep for H&S skimmers. ;)

I'm thinking of using cement pavers as a base for the aquascaping. Although, I think cinder blocks might be easier to drill into for rods and zip ties. Any thoughts ?

Why not just drill the live rock directly? You could insert acrylic rod into them and then the rods into acrylic plates under the sand.

What up Chichas01,

I've thrown around that idea...just wasn't sure if the base would be sturdy enough with all that weight. I do like the idea of being able to move sections of the reef if needed. I'm also throwing around the idea of using fiberglass grating (think of eggcrate on steriods). They use it in public aquariums and whatnot. How's your tank doing ?

Jim

Things are great! Acrylic plates drilled out to accept what ever size rod you go with are pretty study. I think I'm using 3/8" rod and plates in my setup and I have no worries about how sturdy it is. You could go with 1/2" if You are stacking things higher. The nice thing about going this route is that you can lay it all out before it ever goes in the tank and know exactly what it will look like.

Things are great! Acrylic plates drilled out to accept what ever size rod you go with are pretty study. I think I'm using 3/8" rod and plates in my setup and I have no worries about how sturdy it is. You could go with 1/2" if You are stacking things higher. The nice thing about going this route is that you can lay it all out before it ever goes in the tank and know exactly what it will look like.

I forgot you did the acrylic rods...very cool :exclaim:

photo-74.jpg

I got a chance to remove a "non-bearing header" that the contractor installed under a glue-lam. This will enable me to install a light rack similiar to the one Steve Weast used in his setup. I'll wrap it up with frp also.

Please excuse the sheetrock dust.

photo-76.jpg

I picked about 50+ lbs of fiji rock from the now close Ocean Treasures (LFS). This brings my total to about 225 lbs of lr...I'll probably need about 25 or so lbs more. I need to order fiberglass grate to start the rockscaping.

photo-81.jpg

Finally got my Kold Sterile Filter hooked up. I had unions & ball valve added for easy removal. A hose bib was added for easy hook up to a boat hose.

photo-84.jpg

photo-83.jpg

Gen stopped by and dropped off my qt with lids and a larger qt that fits nicely on top for larger fish. I was thinking of using it as a online or offline fuge, but thought it would be too much hassle when adding medication. He also took measurements for a light rack, not sure if I want to put a actuator on it or heavy duty drawer pulls for easy axcess.

Back