Gimmito 450 gal L-shaped display

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

You might check with a HVAC contractor. Personally I wouldn't think it would be any different than using the plastic flexible duct as they use on AC central units, unless you run some extreme heat through it.

If you go with the PVC or ABS, use a friction fit and SS sheet metal screw to lock in place for modifications down the road if needed.

IMG_0818.jpg

A nice way to start a monday...my new vortech mp40 gen2 came in.

A plug for Tom at socaltropicalaquarium...good price & service !

IMG_0819.jpg

It's nice to see that the guys at ecotech marine are continually improving their products. The new wet seal looks solid and I can't wait to sync & upgrade the firmware on my other mp40.

Now if I can only find a deal on a 48" MH/T5 fixture. ;)

IMG_0816.jpg

Scored a 29 gal truvu sump/fuge from a buddy. I also ordered a 1" bulkhead, durso stand pipe, filter socks, flex hose, & two 1" eductors.

Now if I can only score a deal on lights ! :D

Everything is coming along nicely here!! You are collecting some great life support for your new system!! How many Vortec are you planning for? I now have 3 total still waiting on the wetside for the 3rd but man I will have major major flow once the 3rd MP40 is in the tank. With my Tunze and the vortec I will have about 19000GPH that is 70x turn over on the 270.

I have 2 vortechs for the frag tank and I want to try the eductors for the returns. I also am waiting for a new wetside from ecotech marine. I talked to Steve over there about the 450 and he suggested building a dry overflow box so I could line 4 vortechs and make a x-pattern...I'll have to give it some thought. I'm interested to see how those eductors workout ! :D

70x turnover ??? That's some serious flow buddy. :eek:

Last edited:
I have 2 vortechs for the frag tank and I want to try the eductors for the returns. I also am waiting for a new wetside from ecotech marine. I talked to Steve over there about the 450 and he suggested building a dry overflow box so I could line 4 vortechs and make a x-pattern...I'll have to give it some thought. I'm interested to see how those eductors workout ! :D

70x turnover ??? That's some serious flow buddy. :eek:

Yup 70x I love flow and so does my Tangs.

IMG_0015.jpg

I had time this weekend to work on the frag tank stand w/ a buddy. It's made of 2x4's and 2x6's w/simpson hangers. I have a friend who's selling a used sunlight supply maristar 2x150 and 2x54 watt T5's. I can go w/12k reeflux bulbs, that way the corals will acclimate easier to the main tank (when that gets going !). I'm thinking of going w/ati blue plus bulbs for the T5's.

IMG_0018.jpg

We also built a ledger out of 2x8's. I hope to put 3-55 gallon tanks up there. I would like to have a mixing station for saltwater, r/o water, & the last will be a gravity fed fuge. I'm entertaining the idea of incorporating a constant water station up there also.

I plan to build another ledger below it for a qt, culture tanks, breeding tanks, & what not.

IMG_00362.jpg

H&S 110/F2000 skimmer w/ehiem 1048 feed pump for the frag tank. This is the little brother of the H&S 250 skimmer I'm considering for the 450. I've never used a recirculating skimmer and I'm interested in seeing the skimmate production.

IMG_00291.jpg

I thought I would post a picture of my red sea max. I traded a vortech pump for it w/a fellow reefer...not bad eh ? I got it b/c I had to down size from a 75 gallon due to the remodel. It's mainly zoa's, lps, & a rbta which has split twice in a year since I've had it.

Its been awhile since my last post...been busy with the house, soccer, volleyball, cub/girl scouts, etc. I've been scouring craiglist and picked up a truvu 40 breeder and truvu 30 gallon for the qt.

I'll post some pics soon.

Here's a pic of the 40 breeder. I'm going with a deep sand bed (about half way) and the rest w/chaeto & maybe some graciella for any future tangs. Do you guys think 8" is enough to denitrify the 450 ?

photo-3.jpg

Back