Gimmito 450 gal L-shaped display

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

photo-179.jpg

Update on the sump for the frag tank:

I added some chaeto & gracialla (Big thanks Christina), fuge light, & cleaned up the cords via corrugated tubing.

photo-189.jpg

photo-191.jpg

Finished the plumbing of the return pump to the fuge (bottom 1 1/2" pipe reduced to 1") and the drain from the fuge (1" pipe w/blue ball valve). I'll probably drain it to the right front of the tank, where I'm sure there will be a line of fish waiting for a snack.

Next is to finish plumbing the returns into the tank and I'll be done w/the plumbing. I took apart the manifold I previously made. I'm leaning towards 2 returns into 2 wavy seas.

IMAG0024.jpg

Pic of left rear return. The plumbing goes from 1 1/2" to 1" omni flex nozzles. This is most likely a temporary return setup so I can do a water test. I plan on getting a couple of vertex mocean 3500's down the line.

IMAG0024.jpg

Pic of right rear return...please excuse the dirty acrylic...too tired to clean it.

Again, plumbing goes from 1 1/2" to 1" omni flex nozzles. I'm thinking about building a couple of "wet boxes" (6x6x16) for tunze streams and placing them along the length of the overflows and siliconing them in. The idea is to hide as much plumbing as possible via the rockscaping. Any thoughts ?

0470de68.jpg

Gen finished my drip tray. I originally was going to use filter socks, but I saw Dan Riggle's tank that used a drip tray w/filter floss. I glued ribs w/Weldon 16 and taped them w/blue painters tape. Next, I need to drill out some holes for water flow.

a76a9342.jpg

Gen also made me 2 wetboxes. These will be attached via suction cups and hidden in the rockwork. I plan on using 2 Tunze 6205's in each box pointing through the canyon and especially in dead spots. There are removable lids to access the pumps for cleaning and keep critters out.

Can't wait to see everything up and running! So much planning and effort was put into this build I really like it!! :)

This thing is coming along now. I took a quick look at the first few pages as a refresher and realized that you started this project in July of "09" and it the display still hasnt seen LR. Your through wall plumbing is just plain sexy and this system is very well planned. You are truely one of the most patient reefers I've ever seen when it comes to the planning. IM sure this will be a very beautiful thriving reef when you get it fully up and running.

Thanks for the kind words fellas. This build has been a long time coming. I'm trying to juggle finishing a second story addition, 2 kids, and keep the wife happy at the same time (other wise I might sleeping with the fishes). :rip:

e2b8c4e4.jpg

I also got to work on the standpipes on the right overflow box. I'm doing a Herbie standpipe method, which simply is one standpipe will be the main drain and the other acts as a backup/emergency drain. The main drain is about 8" below the water line and the secondary drain is about a 1/4" below the waterline. You might notice couplings on both standpipes, it's similiar to a skimmer standpipe and will allow me to adjust the standpipe 1 3/8" up or down. The standpipes will be controlled by ballvalves to dial them in and eliminate the dreaded "gurgling sound."

Back