Jiddy's 220g MASTERPIECE!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

My god this thread gets away from you fast, lol

Signs of coral stress are usually not opening up all the way or shrinking like a prune. Xenia will sometimes stop pulsing even if not stressed.

Watts per gallon isn't a good figure to use. It really depends on how deep your tank is. Fluorescent tubes, even VHOs, don't penetrate water quite like halides, so having your corals toward the top of the tank would be best. With your soldiers already in the tank go ahead and leave the lights on; they need something to kill.

Glad to hear everything is going good, even the horribly traumatized critters in the dropped bag :)

Clayton

LoL, Well dont let the thread get away from you then

thats what i figured about the signs of stressed corals

How deep can 160w VHO buld effectly penetrate? And does my glass top greatly effect this? Obviously i should be scrapin the salt creep off it

The dropped bag was expected, i need to go out and buy some clothes pins for stuff like that

For low-medium light those tubes can work pretty well, but for bright lighting fluorescents don't penetrate well after about 15". Anything deeper than that and you should really use halides. Eventually you might want to think about using your VHOs for actinic supplements, and use some 400W halides as your main lighting. The glass shouldn't hurt too much, but light doesn't pass through salt creep very well. :) It's mostly just UV rays that don't pass through glass easily.

Clayton

They're not as expensive as you might think. Hellolights sells a retrofit kit for $89 that comes with everything but the bulb. Add another $69 for an XM 10K bulb and you have a 400W system for under $160. Of course you would need a few of them, lol

http://www.hellolights.com/40methalretk.html

I just watched one of my Trochus snails send out a cloud of eggs; thousands of them. It's amazing when that happens. The snail doesn't look big enough to hold all of them.

Clayton

Well my night will include tippin back over my astrea's because you didnt tell me they werent capable of doin it themselves

It's all about the experiences Jid. How boring would all this be if we let you in on everything? lol

They'll usually fix themselves given time. It's something how far they can stretch. The hermits will fall off rocks and land upside down too. It's funny to watch them laying there staring straight up, probably wondering "What the $&)# do I do now?" Eventually they'll crawl out and fix themselves too though. Even though I do sometimes help them with a long acrylic stick I have, I sometimes have to remind myself that there's no giant stick around in the ocean; so they must be capable.

Clayton

Jiddy if your top is completely covered with glass you may want to take them off completely, let the air flow across the top water surface for beter cooling, it is a good thing. I tossed mine before even trying to keep it covered.

Its not a full cover scooty, its about a half, and the lights are all fan cooled and they are right above the open water. The glass takes up half of the lights it what im tryin to say

OMG - did someone pour fertilizer on this thread....I swear, this thing grows faster than Caulerpa in an old sandbed!

Jiddy - love the pic of the caught wrasse. I think your little one was smiling so much because he's the one that caught it! :D

LoL, then his big mean daddy took the jar and the credit! LoL, like stealin a fish from a baby! Thanks Nikki

And yes the thread does grow quite large at night, most of it doesnt make any sense to you daytimers, lol!

NaH2O said:
OMG - did someone pour fertilizer on this thread....I swear, this thing grows faster than Caulerpa in an old sandbed!

Jiddy - love the pic of the caught wrasse. I think your little one was smiling so much because he's the one that caught it! :D

They poured something on it. :D :D :D

Anyways since the capture of the Lunar Wrasse my wife wants to get another wrasse. She likes the fact that he was always active and swam in and out of the rockwork with its many caves. Of course Lunar's are mean, can someone rec another wrasse or similar fish?

Back