Jiddy's 220g MASTERPIECE!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jiddy - I thought I might confuse you...sorry. I didn't want to get into too much detail because I was so tired. As the bioload changes in a tank, bacterial populations have to grow to meet the needs of the tank. Once they are reached, and the wastes or die offs are used up, then the bacterial populations will cut back a bit. The dead bacteria releases the nutrients when it dies, and algae is right there to clean it up - combine that with excess nutrients from waste that hasn't been processed yet, and/or die off from live rock.....YUM algae food! Then you'll see the algae die off, which sets off some nutrients and will fuel a new round of algae. New tanks get algae - all different types - that's part of it. Some tanks don't get it so bad, some get a ton of algae....it all depends on the nutrient load, and even with low nutrients you see blooms. You are skimming, so that's helping to remove the DOCs, when doing water changes - siphoning up the algae will help export the nutrients, too. Our tanks are ever changing....even once the nitrogen cycle is "over", there is still ammonia getting broken down to nitrite, then nitrate....it happens at a much more efficient rate, so you don't see a spike, unless you add too high of a bioload (i.e. put in uncured rock, etc). Hope this clears up a bit.

Yeah when Calupera goes white, its either dying or going into sexual repro mode and will make a mess of your tank. Thats why I said to put it in a strainer and hang it at the top of the tank so you could keep it from colinzing your tank and it would be able to get plenty of light. I have some in my 55 in the garage and every once in a while I fed some to the naso tang and the blueface. They seem to like it.

Thanks you two! I get it Nikki, im just waitin to get some money so i can buy another Mag to do WC's and some PH's so i can circulate my RO water. Can i mix SW up with no circ in my trashcans?

Thanks steve, the main problem is i dont have a place to put the algae yet, and ive had the last off 2 outta the last 3 days, to help with the Sliz-Ime. Imma have to figure something out soon, i feel like its a tickin bomb!

I went to my LFS to pick up my sand and bought a filter sock, and then went to the store and bought a new toilet brush. I used the brush to clean off the rocks and my wife skimmed the water with the net, and the socked gathered whatever was drained. I didnt do that great of a job, just wanted to see how rapidly it would grow back, its an experiment, not a solution!

Also, i got that LMB a few days ago. He was fine for about 2-3days, swimmin and have a fav perch spot. Then for 1-2days he kept sittin in one spot on the bottom of the tank, not moving (to much anyways) now he has been gone for 3 days with no sign? I thout that LMB were very personable fish? What do you think? Maybe he is kick'n it with my pep shrimp who is MIA also, they have a inCave base they dont let the humans know about.....

I don't know jiddy, doesn't sound good. Have ya tested for Ammonia lately, might be an indicator if they are still alive.

I would be tempted to take a water sample to someone to double check your reading. I had someone bring something over and the reading on my refractometer was 1.032, I told them to use my water to mark where on the hydrometer it went to, doesn't mater if it reads right as long as you know where the correct mark is. Worth a shot anyhow. Am I getting closer?

Mia for 3 days just didn't sound good for 2 items. Just trying to check on some of the simple things that may not come to mind at first, and some things I have learned the hard way and would like to help you avoid. What are you insinuating?

The shrimp was happy the first day i had him, then never seen him again. I kept askin you guys what to feed the LMB, but no one help, shoulda kept the wrasse.... I could understand the shrimp still being alive, but i dunna about LMB

What areyou implying?

I had a LMB pass on me also, but had him for a month or so, he was eating, and I could see his bite marks on the back glass also, don't know what happened. I still think some fish are just doomed from the get go from the collecting and stress of the whole ordeal.

I hope your not thinking what I think your thinking!

Well ill right them off and hope i see them again....its funny how with that much rock you cant find clues & facts

Do you think the cyano will grow back?

It will keep growing unti it uses up all the resources it uses, or you remove them. You might want to cap off one of the outlets on each of your maniflods and see if they put out a little more pressure to help with movement in the tank.

Lets see I found these:

Because they're more closely related to bacteria than other algae they are often the scum on polluted, under-aerated/circulated, over-fertilized waters. They are typically slimy to the touch. Forms include single cells, clusters, threads and chains. The presence of this group is a danger sign in marine aquaria; usually something is seriously amiss filtration/circulation wise.

The most prevalent ones, though, are the red slimy types hence the name most hobbyists use to refer to them. Then again, not all types are slimy (as the articles in the SW Library of our web site explain). It should also be noted that the slime you "see" is not the actual algae or cyanobacterium agglomeration, but what it/they exsude. The actual algae are underneath.

To truly rid the tank of them, you will need to first eliminate those nutrients and then follow a "maintenance" approach, to prevent the D.O.C., or dissolved organic carbon, or dissolved organic material, from building up again and giving rise to more red algae (or other varieties of cyanobacteria).

http://netclub.athiel.com/cyano/cyanos2.htm

Jiddy - can you remind us again exactly how long your tank has been up? Remember that algae is part of a new tank. Also, you haven't done any water changes yet, right? How long are the lights on, what is your phosphate level, what and how much are you feeding?

Regarding the LMB - was it eating? How long did you acclimate the shrimp?

I dont know how long my tank has been up, since middle July i believe, 1 whole month

No water changes yet

Lights are on roughly 8hrs a day, the last 2 out of 3 the lights have been off

Phosphate levels were high, cant rember, will do again later today

Feedin is very little

LMB, never seen him eat, didnt know what they ate until he MIA

Acclimated shrimp for 30mins, he looked good 8hrs after he was intro'd, never seen again

Back