Jiddy's 220g MASTERPIECE!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I go to Oregon and you guys talk without me, how rude! :)

You never really know whether something is dead or not unless you find remains; especially with that much rock. Both the shrimp and the LMB can hide rather well. I've thought countless times that something was dead only to find it weeks or even months later doing rather well.

Clayton

I hope they are still alive, but im doubtfal. And your right clayton, we should of waited for you, you should of been around for my 1300th post

Ken, yours must be a camel, Melev's and mine are true pepp's and only come out when you cant see them, lol, its a common mistake, dont worry bud!

Gee I better go get a good look at him....LOL...I really like my cleaner shrimp though. I have 2 and they are always hanging out together, even saw one cleaning one of my Chromis the other day...

Wow...2 days later and 1 1/2 hours of reading, I'm finally caught up....lol.
Nice setup Jiddy!! a couple days ago we lost a damsel my girlfriend had for 4years!!
I didn't know what happened to him. I looked everywhere, up,down,left,right then i finally checked the powerhead and Walah. You might want to check sump and intake's for skeletons. I know it doesn't sound like fun, but worth a shot. Thats how I found our MIA.

Is this Jiddy's masterpiece or Jiddy's novel (LOL) You need to get this thing published. I started reading through it and everytime I clicked on the next page, sure enough there was another. So I decided to click last page and it's on 34! Mudda Sick! (Bahamian slang). I'll have to take vacation next week to read through it LOL. Great progress though. Come to the Bahamas so I can get you some more cool stuff for the tank. You guys are going to be jealous when you see the stuff I'm gonna catch (just rubbing it in a bit). Keep up the good work and I say why not another 34 pages.

Jiddy said:
I dont know how long my tank has been up, since middle July i believe, 1 whole month

No water changes yet

Lights are on roughly 8hrs a day, the last 2 out of 3 the lights have been off

Phosphate levels were high, cant rember, will do again later today

Feedin is very little

LMB, never seen him eat, didnt know what they ate until he MIA

Acclimated shrimp for 30mins, he looked good 8hrs after he was intro'd, never seen again

Jiddy - the sooner you can start the water changes, then the sooner I think you will see positive results. I posted earlier about cyano being a tricky one because it doesn't need nitrogen in the tank to help it grow, and if you are seeing high phosphate levels, then that will contribute to algae growth. Do you know what the phosphate levels are of your premixed salt water?

What condition was the blenny in before puchase...fat, thin? Be sure to see fish eat at the store before you bring them home. If the blenny was already thin, then chances are it wasn't eating. Your tank doesn't seem to have hair algae, so it would be important to make sure a lawnmower blenny is eating prepared foods (a good idea anyway, because once the algae is gone....it still needs to eat).

IMO, the shrimp should have been acclimated for longer than 30 minutes. I'd have to check, as I'm not sure how long a shrimp live when acclimated too quickly. They do stay hidden very well.....half the time I wonder if I even have a peppermint shrimp anymore, then I'll see it after the lights have been off awhile. Check when you get home from work if it is still dark out, you might see it roaming around.

Again - I know I keep repeating myself....your tank is one month old or so....algae is part of new tanks, so have a little bit of patience and get a water change in.

Nasher- Welcome to the Circus (this thread) and thanks for the advice on the damsel. I did find a pile of bones, so i know he died :( I hope it was because my inlet for my mag pump was uncovered (not anymore) but he would of had to swim up the PVC pipe, its not strong enough to suck him up, so who knows! Maybe are damsels are swimmin together in the big sky REEF :)

Krish, actually its funny that you mention that but A.Calfo and I are going to get this thread published. We are just trying to work out the details, seems $5million for a book signing is askin to much :confused: But anyways, yea i want to goto the bahamas, i talked to my FIA (fatherINlaw) and he said that they stayed on Nassau and at a resort called the breeze??? I guess it wasnt to expensive, just the airfare. They said go with an all-inclusive deal that comes with alcohol and food paid for, but what do you think? Heck i could just eat at your house anyways!

Linkii-I know i need to do water change, i just wanted a MagPump which i cant afford until next week, seems the more money i make the more i spend on the reef! I thout i had everythin i needed to get setup but now i have a "i want" list with about 20 things to get. After i toilet-brushed the rocks they havent grown back and the snails are takin over more now. There is still alot of slime on the lower rocks because it is rough terrain but the tank looks better so far. I know a water change will really help. Need to get that old tank water outta there and keep it 100% RO water!

Ill have to check my NSW phos levels, i dont have any idea.

See the blennie wasnt fat when i bought him, but he was bone-skinny like some mandarins ive seen at the LFS, and i thout they ate algae so i didnt ask to feed before i buy, i did see my other LFS had one that was very personable and ate flake food, i was going to buy it, but i dont think i deserve it :cry:

About the shrimp, i know i should of acc him longer then 30mins, especially after a overnite from FL, but honestly i was up for 26hrs waitin for that package and was totally out of it when it finally got here, its no excuse but its a lesson learned i suppose. If you acc somethin bad/wrong will it be okay for a few hours before it dies?

Hopefully knockin out my WC will really help, im sure it will, my skimmer is pullin out green mud nasty smellin stuff, so its workin good! :)

Well man here are some helps for the problems your having. When having livestock shipped in I always have it held at the fedex facility and get there myself. I am much more concerned with my livestock than the fedex delievery dude. So I get my stuff as soon as they open. I always open it there and look at it just to check and see. Its done two things for me. I know its alive when I get it, and the people that work there now all know me and come to see what I get and because they get to see the stuff they are concerned about its welfare too.
Accept that you are going to loose some livestock. It is a part of learning. It sucks I dont like it, but it happens. I know that consevation is important and the dollar is too. The fact is if the fish had been eaten on the reef it would be normal and life would go on.
For me the best place to get stuff shipped from is CA my reasoning behind this is they its 9 pm here when they get delivered to the shipper. Its 8 am here when I get them. I feel comfortable with that much time in the bag. If your shrimp had been shipped to you for a long time in the bag, then jounced around in a truck most of the day. It was not in great shape when you got it. Also from testing bag water for salinity at the LFS most of the time these guys ( very sensitive to salinity changes) were shipped the the same salinity as the fish. very low. So its already stressed when it get there.
Dude if you had seen the fish store in Evansville Indiana I saw over the weekend you would know you that a healthy fish deseves you. You care, your trying to do it right. Its a learning process and you will do great.

Thanks Steve! I def want to start pickin up my FedEx orders, do you tell the shipper or FedEx?

I understand that you will lose some livestock from time to time, but it should be for reasons of starvation or acclimation. Its a lesson learned thou, stuff like that doesnt happen commonly in the FW world im accustomed to.

Your CA reasonin doesnt make any sense thou. If it takes X hours to get to your state, and Y hours to sit at FedEx (either warehouse or truck) then whats the differance? I suppose you like the night travel and early pickup?

Thanks for the encouragment Steve! You've been there since day one, and i do have you quoting me how great sand was!

stuff like that doesnt happen commonly in the FW world im accustomed to

It can with certain species, but not most of the livestock we normally see. Even the freshwater inverts can handle a great deal more than their saltwater cousins. My Mom's planted tank recently tested a nitrate level of 60ppm, and it has several species of snails that are thriving; even breeding. Discus on the other hand are more like saltwater fish; extremely sensitive to water conditions and acclimation.

The best thing right now is to just let your snails do their job. Normally at this point I wouldn't have a single fish in the tank. Your case is different of course since they sort of landed on your doorstep. I like to go really slow; letting the tank completely cycle through the ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, algae blooms and so on before adding anything more than cleaner crews.

Clayton

LOl...Yeah you could eat at my house Jiddy. If you want to play "Be the creature" you could share some of my fish food. (LOL) The hotel you were talking about is called Breezes and it's pretty nice. It is about 20 mins from Atlantis on a long stip with a bunch of other hotels and restaurants. You'd like it.

Do you know what the cheapest/best all-inclusive package would be there? I think they said they paid roughly $2000 for both of them to go Thurs-Mon, thats airfare and everything. They liked breezes, but said the food was kind of gangster.

Clayton are you trying to imply i added stuff to quickly? lol! As far as the FW world thing goes, i wasnt as fancy as you with your planted discus breeding upsidown adventure tanks. I just had tetras!

I'd never imply anything bad about you Jid, lol

I think I probably have the luckiest Tetras around. All my freshwater tanks get RO/DI water changes once a week; plus weekly tests of nitrates, pH, GH and KH; and monthly tests for ammonia. All the parameters are kept perfect from week to week. Why? Not a clue, lol. Actually my African Cichlid tank tested a (gasp) 8ppm of nitrate. Still not too bad though. I blame it on her pet Plecostomus. My indoor pond uses a massive filtration system, but it's also home to some rather massive fish.

Clayton

Yeah, i don't think their food is the best...not compared to Atlantis. I'd say maybe stay at the hotel (Breezes) and eat along the strip. They've got a lot to choose from with great atmospheres like Johnny Canoe, Reggae Cafe etc. all of which have live bands and a little Junkanoo exhibition.

Back