<-- Lighting -->

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jaymz69

OK as a newbie to saltwater hobby and RF I must ask to hear what all of you have to say.

I have a 36 Gallon Bow Front Tank - About 30 lbs of live rock
Right now I am using the florescent coral light (and it is not even close to the watt / gal)

So where is a good place to buy a light that supports the size of my tank on a small budget?

LED, T5, or compact florescent?

Thanks in advanced for your replies....:ranger:

I would look into the classified ads as a good source for lighting. It all really depends on your budget and coral keeping desires. Also the PSAS is a great source for equipment and networking. I don't recommend CF lighting as it is antiquated and hard to find bulbs for anymore. T5 is a good choice as is Metal Halide and LED. It all really depends on your budget.

If course. I just wanted to hear others and what they think as I work my way into a light. CF = compact floresent? That is probably why I see people selling them cheap in CL. Thanks

I also Have Halides with T5 supplement, but my AI Sols are on order right now to upgrade to LEDS.

So what is the general rule for LED then?
If the fluorescent bulbs are 2-3 watts per gallon?

I am not sure of a golden rule when it comes to LED's. I would say that there are plenty of options out there for a do it your self kind of LED set up, and pretty simple to do. I have a lot of different ideas for a 36 bow, but would take to long on here to list all. LED's are definately the way to go. Besides lowering your power consumption, they last for 10 years, to where as you will be replacing a 60 dollar halide every 9 months, and ?x20 dollar T5's at the same interval.

Retro Fit MH's cost as much as a decent T5 or PC setup does but will support LPS, and SPS. I paid $100 for my Fixture (Reef Optix II - Mogul Base), then a 14k bulb ($60) and a Lumatek Selectable Ballast ($130 on Amazon). You just need a way to mount the light.

Retro Fit MH's cost as much as a decent T5 or PC setup does but will support LPS, and SPS. I paid $100 for my Fixture (Reef Optix II - Mogul Base), then a 14k bulb ($60) and a Lumatek Selectable Ballast ($130 on Amazon). You just need a way to mount the light.

True but also add an exponential amount of heat compared to T5's. Then you have to calculate the cooling route you take into your bill. T5 or LED is perfect for a tank of that size. Keep more demanding light corals up top. Besides I give it a 75% chance you will be upgrading within 2 years or less.....especially being nata's friend.

Cool - thanks for all the info. I want to take up on an offer right now for T5s
but I think by tax time I will get into a LED setup...??

So what is the general rule for LED then?
If the fluorescent bulbs are 2-3 watts per gallon?

first off, WELCOME jaymz69!

...the old watts per gallon is a horrible way to calulate light for a reef,
really what you want to be thinking about is;
the amount of par (photosynthetic available radiation) you wish to have as a target,
the amount of water you have to penetrate,
the amount of area you need to cover...

so you might notice some of the led advertising(the good ones) will include ratios like "200 lumens at 24 inches "
and "covers 24x12"
like this for instance:
150w LED Fixture

now you may think, $325 for a fixture isnt very inexpensive, but consider that you dont change bulbs EVER...
for the life of the LED fixture (10 yrs) then calculate in the power savings, and heat savings and you begin to
realize that it is a very inexpensive price to pay for what you get.

also, there are extremely cheap chinese t5 and mh fixtures that you can buy:
Odyssea Metal Halide System

but keep in mind the free bulbs that come with them are utter crap, and you should probably replace them, as most people do.
and, that you will be replacing bulbs every 9 months or so. and they produce alot of heat, so you will need fans or a chiller for summer.

While I agree with Skimmy 100% another reason that LED Par is hard to compare straight across to MH or other lighting is because of PUR. This is one of the reasons that many people burned their corals by adjusting LEDs to the same PAR as previous MH lights.

Perfect, that makes more sense. The price of LED shocked me but when you break it down like that... The ROI is back within a year.

Bulb replacement and electricity costs are always a factor to consider..to me leds on a little tank are a good and easy solution...easy to install to and nice to look at...just a thought..

While I agree with Skimmy 100% another reason that LED Par is hard to compare straight across to MH or other lighting is because of PUR. This is one of the reasons that many people burned their corals by adjusting LEDs to the same PAR as previous MH lights.

excellent point!! one i forgot... Photosynthetic Useable Radiation is going to be different than PAR...
and one good reason to consider coughing up for a LED fixture that is dimmable, so no cooking of corals...
but you can also temporarily mount the light higher or use screens over the tank to cut the light intensity while
acclimating corals from low intensity lighting.

look into this fixture, aqua illumination sol blue, it is only 2w led's but it is upgadeable. From the spec's it sound perfect for your size tank.

I had the same tank and used to run a 250watt MH over it. I bought it used for 150 and while I have upgraded my lighting (tank upgrade) I LOVED that light and my coral thrived.

I don't know that I would spend the money on LEDs for a tank that size.

leds are the **** but expensive. if you have some extra cash then i would put leds on the tank, no heat, no power consuming, no replacing bulbs.plus with 36 gallons you dont need to go crazy with them either, keep us posted!

Back