<-- Lighting -->

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ai Sol's

us 75watts at full power...LEDs produce a ton of heat it just doesn't radiate to the tank but rather into the heatsink....and bulbs need replaced every 5 years ;)

i would go with leds. less heat less electricity. im changing all my halides out to leds. i have a 150w halide over my refugium im going to change out with leds.

I dont know if this will help you... But if you are going to go with LED....

Here is my 2 cents.

How to compute how many leds are needed... (DIY method)
Measure the surface area of the tank. ie: 75 gallon = 48x18 = 864 sq in

then factor in this numbers if you are going to make your own DIY LED.

10 sq in / 3 watt (high power) led = Hard Core Light. Very Deep Tank
15 sq in = SPS (most people use)
20 sq in = LPS, Softies
25 sq in = Softies

or these numbers if you are going to buy ready made ones???

3.3 sq in / 1 watt led = Hard Core Light. Very Deep Tank
5 sq in = SPS (most people use)
7 sq in = LPS, Softies
8 sq in = Softies

Most of the time they will tell you how many watt the fixture has on a LED fixture... most of them have 1 watt per emitter, and some are using high watter emitters... just figure out the total watts and multiply it with the numbers above. Hope this make sense.

If you go with the DIY route... just a rough estimate....
$10 per emitter.... It includes the heatsink, cree's, wires, dimmable driver and misc items. This does not include the controller to make it dim down or up. Just a simple mechanical timer will do.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Ai Sol's

us 75watts at full power...LEDs produce a ton of heat it just doesn't radiate to the tank but rather into the heatsink....and bulbs need replaced every 5 years ;)

Im not sure if this true with the ready made ones... but from what I researched on the CREE ones, they can be useful for at least 50k hours.

On the same note you also won't get near the features on a DIY that you will on a AI or Acan lighting LED. Well at least you won't without the use of dimmable meanwell drivers and an apex VDM module or a good base of knowledge in Arduino.

DIY is nice,but you'll never match what I can do with the Ai Sol. I have 3 individually controllable channels. W B and Royal blue. All controllable in 1% increments for a perfect custom color. Ramp up, Ramp down, up to 14 timers sets, Gimmicky thunderstorms, and all in one tiny package without have to have 1238945786591234719 drivers....

No offense DIY guys But there have been very few clean builds out there.

If a controller is present in the system already, an ALC (advanced light controller) for either the DA or Neptune can control your lighting and ramp it up and down from 0 - 100 and back down. As far as the simulation of weather, never been a fan of it. As far as a clean build if it is going into a clean hood, then let be as DIY'er as it needs to be. If it is going to be a stand alone then there are ways to make them look clean. But one thing that a DIY does not come with and that is a warranty. If it is wired in wrong or temp is not stable and a LED goes out then you are on your own.

The only thing I see in what your wrote above is the BIG IF....IF a controller is present and IF you used dimmable ballasts and IF you use a Neptune VDM (or DA) equivalent then yes you can dim....but the coding is usually a little complicated.

So if you don't have a controller and buy AI Sols 2 modules w/ controller can be found for 1107 shipped.

If you DIY depending on the LEDs you use for similar coverage you are probably looking at at least 500 bucks give or take. Plus the 470 for a apex and another 120 for a VDM module.....

So really about equal in cost if starting from scratch and one option leaves you with no warranty. BUT THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH DIY AT ALL.

AI Sols 2 modules w/ controller can be found for 1107 shipped.

IF I have that money....I wish..... maybe If I win lotto? I had mine for $400 including arduino that can be programmed to whatever.... No need for expensive reef controller to attached to. Now, it boils down to, if I want to pay $600 for the clean look... hmmm... this will be subjective, and will solely depend on the user.

I consider you one of the fortunate ones who will ba able to understand arduino language and interface. I have to ask however how you will package teh arduino interface? Will you have turn knobs/lcd/etc or will it strictly be programmed via the firmware code?

Yes an all in one is the way to go, IF you have the funds to afford such a luxury. Arduino is nice and would work well, for those that do not program an ALC added to any controller would work just as good. And if you have the money to spend on a PREBUILT led set up and do not have a controller, then I would say that priorities should be established. With a controller all of your basics are covered and control of the actual system is established. I would put that as a priority before I need to simulate the weather at 21°18′32″N 157°49′34″W / 21.30889°N 157.82611°W / 21.30889.

Also I am sure that the AI SOL covers a 24" area for 629.00
http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/li...ion/aqua-illumination-12-1-modular-led-light-

In order to cover even a 75 gallon 2 of these would be needed. This is going to cost 1200 dollars. I am sure that Kathupoy's lights for a 75 gallon cost a 1/4 of that. And have the same output. Just my opinion but I will be next in line to win that lottery ticket.

i have a 36bow...i went with a cheap oddsyea fixture....4 bulb....single reflector....crap bulbs!
Ive replaced the bulbs with ATI ones and it help a lot but now about a year later i will be building a DIY kit from rapids and it is something i should have done in the beggining...i just didnt know about it! I could have saved a lot of money if i wouldnt have made the mistakes or bought the crappy equipment!

Back