Matt's 100 gallon Rimless OBD system

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

WOW....going to be a super beautiful tank. Wish I had the money to build a take like that, I always have to get used equipment and tanks. Again super nice , love it.

Quick picture of the tank with the blue led's. Nothing but rock, sand, and water so far. Fish coming soon...

img0205ohb.jpg

Speaking of fish, here are some ideas I have. Since I'm pretty new at this (at least this time around) I'm looking for ideas, advice, warnings, etc. I've got an open top, so I'd like to steer clear of jumpers. (I guess I could build a screen top if I had too, but don't really want to). My tank size is 112 gallons - 54" x 24" x 20" high. As far as coral is concerned, I'm leaning toward mostly LPS and softies, with maybe a few SPS. Undecided about anemones yet.

5 or 6 blue-green chromis
2 - 4 pajama or bangaii cardinals
2 snowflake clowns
Yellow tang
Blue hippo tank?
Another tang - Naso, Powder Brown, Kole, something like that - what will work in a 112 gallon tank?
Coral beauty angel
Flame angel
Hawkfish
Royal Gramma
Firefish
gobies, blennies, and other little guys - need ideas

These are some of the ones I like - probably won't get them all, but please let me know what you think. Plus, I'd love to hear some ideas of other people's favorites.

I am planning on having cleaner shrimp, fire shrimp, and other inverts. So no fish that will eat my shrimp allowed!

Are coral banded shrimp ok in a reef tank? Also, what kind of starfish are reef safe?

The fun begins...

The Firefish are jumpers.
The Coral Beauty, and the Flame angle may have issues with each other in that small of tank, They may also eat your corals.

That many Chromis will eventually end up being one or two ( probably within a year or shorter)

Fun indeed....54 inch is probably a little tight for some of the larger tangs...(naso, blue, powder brown). Pygmy angels are gorgeous, luck of the draw on whether they nip at corals. How about anthias? Or heniochus? Love my yasha goby paired with a pistol shrimp.

I like the yasha goby/pistol shrimp idea. How about wrasses? Any good ones? I like moorish idols, I guess heniochus might be the next best thing. How about butterflies, like a long nose?

I would probably get one or the other of the angels, not both.

Does anyone have a preference of pajama vs. banggai cardinals? If I have those, are there others on my list I shouldn't have, since cardinals are pretty docile?

I have a flame and a coral beauty in my softy tank.If I had to pick just one, I'd go for a flame angel.
I see both angels cruise around the tank and on occasion they do nip at corals. They don't really take a bite, more of just a taste of the slime coat.
And they don't go back to the same spot, and I have never seen any damage.
If you really want 2 centropyge's maybe a pair of centropyge argis would work.

I have a flame and a coral beauty in my softy tank.If I had to pick just one, I'd go for a flame angel.
I see both angels cruise around the tank and on occasion they do nip at corals. They don't really take a bite, more of just a taste of the slime coat.
And they don't go back to the same spot, and I have never seen any damage.
If you really want 2 centropyge's maybe a pair of centropyge argis would work.

Is that your 240 or your 50 that you have the 2 angels in? Are they too aggressive for the more docile fish like cardinals? Also, I notice on your build thread that you have a pipefish. Could you tell me about keeping those?

The 2 angels are in my 240. But put one or the other in your tank is completely doable, or IMO 2 of the cherubs.
I don't really see agression from either of the two angels I have, ( to other fish) except occasional flare ups between the 2. And that is usually over very fast and no damage has ever happened to either.
I do have a yellow multibanded pipefish in my 50 gallon tank. ATM it is the only fish in the tank. Since it depends on pods for alot of it's food, I don't want to take a chance with another fish that would compete for food with it.
It does eat hykari mysis and I buy a container of tisbe pods about once a month, locally if it is available. And occasionally I will buy a container of the larger pods.
Definitely a fish for a more mature tank.

I prefer the Banggaii Cardinals. I'm just partial to their coloring. I'll be adding a couple to my 58 in the near future.

Back