My new "cube"

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Kensn said:
Gee Todd the pics look great and all, but I don't think they are doing you justice. I will have to come see for myself...:D
Just let me know when you want to come over, you're always welcome!

krish75 said:
Your tank is looking amazing as always Todd! Really nice! Thanks for sharing the new photos...I wondered what you had been up to lately with the tank and there's my answer. Keep up the good work!:)
Thanks Krish!

maxx said:
I had one in my 58 gallon tank, and shipped him off to Nikki...who started complaining it was leaving scratches in tank.

Nick - I've seen it actively on the acrylic and checked for scratches later...nothing. It was just that one time I told you about. So far, he's been a champ....even though his body is getting close to baseball size :eek:

They do grow quickly....I bought it less than a year ago and its body was as big around as a quarter at the time. So be forwarned Todd and Robert!

Nick

maxx said:
They do grow quickly....I bought it less than a year ago and its body was as big around as a quarter at the time. So be forwarned Todd and Robert!

Nick
I got mine at about the dime size, now they are at least half dollar size.:eek:

Did you go with the dwarf lions (D.zebra) or a different species? I've always loved Radiata lions, but they do poorly in captivity...allegedly there is a store in Oklahoma city that has pretty good luck with them...thats about an 8 hour drive for me, but I'd consider it for a good healthy Radiata...
I wish I lived closer to you, cause I'd definately be pestering you see it.

BTW, have you noticed any issues w/ your OM unit? My 4 way built up some mineral deposits inside the housing, which interfered with the drum rotation. It caused enough friction that the nylon drive shaft between the motor and the rotating drum got stripped. Paul took care of me, but I had another build up two days ago, and was wondering if anyone else has noticed anything similar?

Nick

maxx said:
Did you go with the dwarf lions (D.zebra) or a different species? I've always loved Radiata lions, but they do poorly in captivity...allegedly there is a store in Oklahoma city that has pretty good luck with them...thats about an 8 hour drive for me, but I'd consider it for a good healthy Radiata...
I wish I lived closer to you, cause I'd definately be pestering you see it.

BTW, have you noticed any issues w/ your OM unit? My 4 way built up some mineral deposits inside the housing, which interfered with the drum rotation. It caused enough friction that the nylon drive shaft between the motor and the rotating drum got stripped. Paul took care of me, but I had another build up two days ago, and was wondering if anyone else has noticed anything similar?

Nick
Yeah, I'd love to have radiatas, but I'm going with two zebras and a Fu Manchu, crossing my fingers that they all can get along since the D. lions can be a bit territorial. Fu Manchu lions are very difficult to get to feed in captivity, but the deal made with the LFS was they must be eating frozen foods b/f I take them home, they got some very healthy Volitans from me.

As far as the Oceans Motions, no not a single problem yet (hope I'm not setting myslef up here...fingers crossed) Are you using Kalk to dose your tank? When I was using a bit of Kalk to get my pH up my pumps were having all kinds of trouble, I cut back and the pumps are running great again.

Yeah, I'm dosing Kalk, but oddly enough, Paul feels its Magnesium buildup, as he's seen this before and observed no reaction when he soaked the affected parts in vineager. I poured vineager over my drum once I'd gotten it out of the housing, and saw no reaction either.

I've got a calcium reactor, but just havent set it up yet......once I do, I'll probably just use the Kalk to boost pH.

My wife loves the look of the Volitan Lions, but isnt wild about me setting up the 125 Acrylic tank I have to house thm in. She doesnt believe me when I say they wont be happy in my 58 gallon tank....
I'll keep working on her though...
Nick

I have to say that it was pretty amazing to watch those fish grow from little guys the size of you thumb last year to the monsters they were when we took them into the LFS. The dark ones body was as thick as a baseball bat in the middle. The funny thing is they only eat twice a week. I would say that a minimal tank for these guys would be 200+

Yeah, I agree w/ you Tom. Big, fast growing eating machines....this is a 125 show, 60x18x18, no good as a reef due its design, but great as an FO. I'd really rather have a Radiata or a Sphex again, (Hawaiian variant of the P.antennata, only prettier IMO), but I'd primarily set that tank up as a "cool fisht that arent reef safe, but pretty".....
Ive never seen how a larger lion behaves in a tank with more flow in it, but they dont do a whole lot of active swimming in tanks w/o heavy flow....one volitan might be alright in the 125, as long as the rock work was minimal, and the rest of the bioload was small also....

Nick

Todd, where did you get your oceans motions from? I'd like to read up on them because they seem pretty cool and may be an option for me if I ever go acrylic. Thanks...:)

Hey Todd,
Awesome tank!!! I love those cubes...
I want to know where you got your ocean motion and how much they are?
once again nice tank...

Matt

Ya just order them from the manufacturer @ http://www.oceansmotions.com
My tanks glass and I didnt have any issues with adapting it to my system, so ya dont need acrylic tanks to make them work...

Nick

Ya just order them from the manufacturer @ http://www.oceansmotions.com
My tanks glass and I didnt have any issues with adapting it to my system, so ya dont need acrylic tanks to make them work...

Nick

Thanks Nick! I remember your tank with it hooked up over te back. I could do the same thing, but I'm not a fan of pvc in the tank for suction etc. so that why I said if I went acrylic. If only I wasn't so picky(LOL)

stick you suction side in your overflow to hide it. make sure your overflow can handel that much more flow going over the slits though. i wanted to do that on mine but i didn't have room for it

Lunchbucket

stick you suction side in your overflow to hide it. make sure your overflow can handel that much more flow going over the slits though. i wanted to do that on mine but i didn't have room for it

Thanks for the info Lunchbucket...I had thought about that, but I decided to just order myself the tunze for this tank.:)

krish75 said:
Thanks Nick! I remember your tank with it hooked up over te back. I could do the same thing, but I'm not a fan of pvc in the tank for suction etc. so that why I said if I went acrylic. If only I wasn't so picky(LOL)

You're welcome Krish. There is a thread on RC, (1700 gallon Stingray reef) where the owner made PVC rock racks, and camoflaged them by using "Great Stuff" insulating foam, a 2 part epoxy, and rock rubble, crushed coral, and sand stuck in the wet epoxy....
Eric has seen this tank in person, and he said he couldnt tell it was PVC he as looking at....
Its all in how creative you get.

Nick

You're welcome Krish. There is a thread on RC, (1700 gallon Stingray reef) where the owner made PVC rock racks, and camoflaged them by using "Great Stuff" insulating foam, a 2 part epoxy, and rock rubble, crushed coral, and sand stuck in the wet epoxy....
Eric has seen this tank in person, and he said he couldnt tell it was PVC he as looking at....
Its all in how creative you get.

Nick

Sounds interesting...I always game for trying something creative, but honestly I want an acrylc tank at some point. I'm sure I can get whatever I want to work on my 90 all-glass, but I just have an itch for acrylic:)

Back