My New Metal Halides

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ok after the reading, i'm glad your temperature dropped .
About the lights, i'm sure they will warm up the tank a little, but i don't think it'll be that much.
When my lights are off my tank goes to 75 and when the lights are on it goes to 78 so for sure it get warm a little and i dont' even have a heater on .

Well, we shall see:) I'm thinking positively today;)

Sounds like success is just around the corner Krish!!!

one note: for those thinking of running their canopy fans exhausing air out of the canopy....there is plenty of real life experience out there showing that you will dramatically shorten the life of your fans. Salt air and moving parts don't mesh well together.

Keep the chin up Bud! i think you have the ticket in those 5" fans though. If it lowered the temp that fast with only one, I think you'll be set with two. Some time down the road you can always get a controller of some sort and use it to turn fans on or off based on temp. This is what I do with mine. I use the aquacontroller to turn on/off heaters, fans, and on extreme days, MHs, based on tank temp.

IME, blowing fan on the water is better that blowing it on the bulb or anywhere else.

Also you have to keep in mind about the "cross ventilation" approach.
Meaning that in theory that you should be able to move the air out of the hood and replace it with new ones. And NOT JUST CIRCULATE IT... It would be nice that the wind will be thru and thru. If you have the fans on the front and blowing to the back where in you have an open back... then you have a winner.

Or

You can have the hans on one side and a vent on the other side.

Also think about PASSIVE COOLING also.

Hot air is always on top of cold air. Thats why smoke goes up and not down.

So if you want to vent hot air, the vent should be on the top part of your hood.

I hope you good luck.

Thanks for the replies Reed and Caesar:) The fan I had in there that would have made it 3, I had mounted to the top of the canopy blowing the air out of the tank. I will have to get another one and see how it works. As for the fans now, yeah, they are blowing directly at the water and not right at the bulbs. We'll see what happens when I get home:)

:oops: The temp went up to 83...with the lighting on. The lights have been on for 5 hours now. No biggie...I knocked off 6 degrees so far without the lighting on, so what's 3-4 more degrees when the lighting is on. Piece of cake;) I will think it through about what I want to do next and tackle it this weekend, but for now, I need some rest...:)

Krish you're fine, what you do need to look at is at that big swing between nite and day you don't want a 6 degree swing between the 2.

I live in Puerto Rico which as you know, has basically the same weather as the Bahamas. My tank at nite goes down to 80 degs. and during the day it goes as high as a whooping 82.5 ;) corals and fish couldn't care less. It is in a non-A/C room, no chiller, all there is is a fan blowing across the water surface. All I do is replenish evap water daily which I do with Kalkwasser so I take care of 2 things at once. Get the aquacontroller and you'll be golden. :) I'm glad your worries are less now than when you were posting last nite. FWIW I also have MH over my tank just 6 inches from the surface.

Krish you're fine, what you do need to look at is at that big swing between nite and day you don't want a 6 degree swing between the 2.

I live in Puerto Rico which as you know, has basically the same weather as the Bahamas. My tank at nite goes down to 80 degs. and during the day it goes as high as a whooping 82.5 corals and fish couldn't care less. It is in a non-A/C room, no chiller, all there is is a fan blowing across the water surface. All I do is replenish evap water daily which I do with Kalkwasser so I take care of 2 things at once. Get the aquacontroller and you'll be golden. I'm glad your worries are less now than when you were posting last nite. FWIW I also have MH over my tank just 6 inches from the surface.

Thanks for the reply man...And yes, I'm more positive today;) I'm always positive except for last night because I had a bad bay:p I will look into an aquacontroller...Sounds good. I will see what I can come up with over the weekend to cut down the swings a bit and go from there. I just needed something to work with and now I have the numbers. We shall see what happens...Thanks again :)

man, your threads seem to go from page 1 to page 50 overnight. I like your lighting choice when all said and done you will be realy happy with the halides. I must say, now that you have more light I can see all that detritus building up. you know that detritus is a hair algae generator dont you. I think you do not have enough flow and should add 4 more tunzes, an ampmaster 3000 and 6 maxi jets and then you shouldnt see any more detritus.

man, your threads seem to go from page 1 to page 50 overnight. I like your lighting choice when all said and done you will be realy happy with the halides.

Thanks for the reply here Steve...And yeah, I'm loving those halides:)

Now about this....

I must say, now that you have more light I can see all that detritus building up. you know that detritus is a hair algae generator dont you. I think you do not have enough flow and should add 4 more tunzes, an ampmaster 3000 and 6 maxi jets and then you shouldnt see any more detritus.

HA! don't tempt me! I am over 6,000 posts now though and if I remember correctly, I'm supposed to keep my flow rate in sync with my posts:p

that thing is gonna be like one of those swim in place lap pools for fish.....lol

Hey krish,your tank does look great, hey if you dont figure out your heating problem, iam going to make a diy chiller for a friend of mine using a small dorm type refrigerator, i can keep you posted if you like...

Hey krish,your tank does look great, hey if you dont figure out your heating problem, iam going to make a diy chiller for a friend of mine using a small dorm type refrigerator, i can keep you posted if you like...

Thanks man...Sounds great! I'll see what happens with things by the end of the weekend. I've been given some really great ideas to build upon:)

that thing is gonna be like one of those swim in place lap pools for fish.....lol

LMBO!!! it already is :lol: :lol: .

. I think you do not have enough flow and should add 4 more tunzes, an ampmaster 3000 and 6 maxi jets and then you shouldnt see any more detritus.

you forgot to say... and after that you send half to me and half to Gaby :lol: :D

gman0526 said:

I was going to say the same thing. If you can get your temp swing alittle lower, then that is less stress on the livestock. Once you get the back off the stand, and add another fan down there, let's see how your temp does.

I was going to say the same thing. If you can get your temp swing alittle lower, then that is less stress on the livestock. Once you get the back off the stand, and add another fan down there, let's see how your temp does.

Thanks Nikki:) I checked the temperature this morning and it is right on the money with the 2 fans running all night in the canopy (79.2F) So, I'm thinking I just need to setup some sort of fan/s to run on the same timer as my lights are on, to keep the temperature as close as possible to the 79. Shouldn't be hard at all IMO. I may just setup a bigger fan to blow on my sump when the lights are on and maybe on more fan in my canopy that will blow the hot air our of the back. I'm hoping that should do it.

K...Going to look for a fan:)

Back