My New Metal Halides

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I knew you could do it!!! Your ideas sound good Krish. Keep up the vigil, this temp. control ain't that hard!!!

Thanks Charlie! I owe it all to you guys. You'll gave me the directions and I'm just following:)

I NEED A HEATER!!!!:lol:

Well, I got the fan (6 inch) and while I had my stand doors open, the temp dropped! Anyways, here are the photos of the fan which is mounted and is setup to run off of the timer with the lights. If I ran it all the time, my temp would drop too much by the looks of things so we'll see what happens this evening when the lights come on along with the new fan:)

The temperature now after having the stand doors open to put in the fan. It dropped a degree.

The fan

How it is mounted. You can see the small fan mounted behind the phosban reactor as well.:)

Yeah, that looks like it would blow the peel off a banana!!!! Good job!!!

ROFL! It better keep the temperature constant:p Well, I'm going to take my wife out for lunch:D I'll be back in a bit. So far things are looking even better. If I need a little more cooling with the lights on, I've got that covered as well, but we'll see if it will be necessary;)

If you have that fan on a timer with the MH, I don't think you should have any problems. You can always adjust the length of time the fan runs with another timer.

Sounds good...Time will tell:)

Thats the same fan I have on my sump...LOL dont ya love how quiet it is

Yeah! I thought thing wasn't working because I couldn't hear it!:shock: Not bad for $19:)

That's cool Cesar! I see yours is on your tank! Cool man...I just checked the temperature after the MH's had been on for a little over 3 hours and it is at 81F It went up 3 degrees. 3 degrees is still alot, but atleast I'm keeping it lower. I'll try something else now to see if I can get it a bit more stable. We'll see what happens tomorrow when the lights come on:)

You will be surprised the diff in blowing in the water surface of the main tank than in the sump.

I've been in to your shoes. Ive done a lot of things but this one is the most efficient one on mine... Im not saying to all but at least to mine.

Alternatives.

You can schedule your lighting to be 4 hrs left then 4 hrs right and so on. In that way you only have one bulb running in one time. Specially summer is near.

Also another alterntative is to raise your hood a little bit... or keep it open a little bit in the front. Maybe a 2x2 spacer between the hood and the tank. Maybe it will not look good but at least test it, to know if that will fix it..

If you look in to my picture (fan picture)... mine is an ugly DIY hood but with an ajustable height possible because pvc pipes. So winter... lowest notch and then summer highest notch. 3 notch all in all so i have one for spring and fall.

If you can clip the fan in your hood on the left side (extreme left side) then blowing air on the right side.

Reason.
So that the fan is getting new air and not recirculated hot air from within the hood. You can do this even the hood front part is closed. At least I can see that you are open at the back.

If you can try this and let us know.

Thanks

Thanks Cesar! I will see how it goes...I know for sure I don't want to seperate the photo period to have half of light on one side for a few hours and then half on the next for a few hours. I think I will have to vent the air out of the canopy. When the lights are off, my temperature sits between 78-79F with both canopy fans on 24/7. When the lights go on, that's when the big sump fan comes on to help with the heat. I guess my best bet is going to be getting the hot air out of the canopy which I will try with a fan blowing straight out the back, and if that doesn't do the trick, then I'll make plans to put vents in the hood. We shall see...Thanks again:)

I just opened up my doors to my stand to see what the temp will be like when I come home from dinner. If there is a change for the better, I will remove the back off of my stand tomorrow. If no change, then my canopy will be history because I think I'm going to put the hole saw to it :D Well, see...I'll try pushing air out of the canopy tomorrow with 2 more fans and if it doesn't work, then yeah...I'll hack that canopy to pieces:p

Oh yeah...The temp is at 82 now, so it is still climbing some. I may open the canopy when I get home and leave it open for a while to see what that does for the last hour or two before the lights go out, but first I want to see what opening the stand doors does first.

Hehe well it seems like Scott, you and i have the same fan :lol: .
I don't use it anymore though :p .
Well i'm glad your heat issue it's going away ) .... keep it up Krish :D.

i had that fan but after about a year and half the plastic just broke apart. guess the heat from the halides destroyed it. one day i touched it and it just broke into 10 different pieces. so now i don't have any fans. :(

Get ready to see updated photos of my tank in the street!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is getting really rediculous now! I left the canopy lid open while I went out and the temperature still went to 84F! That is 6 degrees since the lights came on! I had to turn them off when I got home...So now, I have to figure out how I will reposition those fans in the canopy, if to add more, or if to cut holes for vents (which I just bought) but honestly, I don't know again...I've got (1) 3 inch fan running in my stand and (1) 6 inch and then (2) 5 inch fans in the canopy and it still can't keep the temperature from going up 6 degrees! No problem getting the temperature to 78-9F when the lights are off, but on is a different story. I'm going to say screw it real soon and just figure out a way to make a chiller fit, because all of these fans are getting rediculous now...

If I remember right, didn't you realized the tank was hot before the mh's came into play?
I agree with charlie, shut off the mag pump and see what happens.

Thanks for the link Bill...I'm afraid to try any DIY's at this point with my luck though...:)

I could shut off the mag's. There are 2 of them (1 on the skimmer and 1 on the closed loop) Both feel relatively ok and wouldn't call them hot. What I don't understand is why would the tank stay at 78-9F throught the night and day with all the pumps on, but jump 6 degrees with the lights? So basically you guys figure if it is a pump, then the fans may do the job "as is" when the lights come on? I just took the whole canopy, lights and fans off of my tank. I've been sitting there for about 30 mins just trying to figure out where they should go...Still not sure.

Last edited:
Back