My Upgrade to a 265 gallon display.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Dragonfly

Eggcrate Engineer
Hi guy's, thought I would share some pics of my tank upgrade.
Here are some pics of the tank construction:
D2build3.jpg

D2build4.jpg

D2build5.jpg

D2build7.jpg

D2build8.jpg

A friend and I built the tank in my garage at home. Tank is 2m(L) x 0.8m(W) x 0.7m(H). Tank is constructed from 10mm glass with dual corner overflows and a Coast to Coast weir. There are no holes for a closed loop. In tank circulation is from 2 x 6100's and 2 x 6000's on a 7095 multicontroller. The tank is not in wall and just didn't want to battle with plumbing complications and not being able to access it. We also built the sump out of 10mm glass - 1.2m(L) x 0.5m(H) x 0.6m(W).

D2%20stand%20comp.jpg

This is a picture of the stand completed. Built out 40mm tubular steel and galvanised. Excuse the drawings on the ply board. We were playing around with aquascape idea's :lol:

D2Sump2.jpg

Picture of the start of sump construction. Still needed to add the baffles and compartments. Not all those skimmers are mine.. The total system volume with sump will be about 352 gallons.

D2build9.jpg

This is a picture of the tank in place in my lounge. Took 8 of us to carry it up a flight of stairs and place it on the stand.

D2build12.jpg

This is a pic of one of the halide reflectors that I DIY'd. Used 0.7mm mirror finish stainless steel. I also made the hood out of 6mm plywood and stained and varnished to match the cabinet. Lighting will be from 3 x 250w halides driven off Ice Cap ballasts. Supplemental lighting from 2 x 29w and 2 x 54w Geiseman T5 pure actinics.

D2build13.jpg

Picture of the complete hood.

D2build14.jpg

This is a shot of the hood in place. I made up some alumininium brackets that I bolted to the back of the stand. Used adjustable cable hangers to that I can adjust the height of the hood. There is still a facia piece that comes on the front top of that tank that will hide the hood once in place. I didn't do the stand cabinetry myself. Got a retired shop fitter to make it for me.

D2build15.jpg

Another shot of the light hood.

D2build16.jpg

D2build17.jpg

At this point the tank was filled using natural sea water. Flicked the return pump on and ran the system.
Problems... The amount of water cycling through the sump was hectic and loud. After running the one skimmer for a couple of minutes it was even worse. So I started planning ways of quietening the system down. Cutting back the return flow, making mods to the drain lines. Putting silencers on the skimmer etc etc. But I just wasn't happy with that.
My only solution to the problem is to move the sump and elimante the noise factor. I actually don't know why I didn't do this in the first place anyway.
Just off the lounge where the tank is located is a semi enclosed patio area.
The plan was to build a sump cabinet on the patio and house everything in there. I just needed to work out the plumbing because I didn't want to see any of the pipework.

D2build18.jpg

This is a picture from the inside looking out and the start of the sump cabinet.

D2build19.jpg

Picture from the outside looking in.

D2build20.jpg

Another one showing the proximity of the display tank.

D2build21.jpg

The cabinet completed, stained to match the inside cabinet. I then moved the sump into it's new location and replumbed everything. Was a bit of a mission because it involved balancing on ladders but got there in the end :)

D2build22.jpg

Equipment in place with the top lid and front doors open.

D2build23.jpg

D2build24.jpg

And this is where I'm at for the moment. The picture shows the 2 skimmetrs, return and heaters connected. Still need to get my CA and ZEO reactors running as well as other bit's and pieces. The skimmers had only just started up when I took these pics. The Deltec APF600 standing externally is from my old setup and should start performing straight away. The in sump skimmer is an IDOL MARINE (Local) which is new so will need time to break in.
Other equipment is a Dual Chamber IM CA rx, Regal Projects ZEO rx and Ocean Runner 6500 return pump.
It's a relief to have my system up and running at last. The change in plan has put me about 3 weeks behind schedule but I'm glad I did it.
Now I can start with the aquascape and get the lighting sorted out.

I broke my old system down and my livestock is currently sitting in my Frag Farm which I have running in my garage.

Fragfarm1.jpg

The frag farm. Holds about 220 gallons in total.

Cool, will keep you guy's posted on the progress.

WOW!!! Very nice man! Really nice planning and effort looked like it went into things...Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work:)

Hey Krish thanks for the compliments Bud. Yeah it's been a bit of a labour of love and has taken 6 months to get to this point but I'm starting to see light at the end of the tunnel :)
I lost two of my acro colonies in the move from my old tank to the holding facility which I'm pretty bummed about, but other than that the rest of my livestock is holding up well. Should hopefully be able to start restocking this tank in about 2 weeks. All the liverock I will be using is already cured as well as the liverock that was in my old system.
Cool

Welcome to RF !! New setup looks fantastic (so did your old one !)

Its really cool to see so many fellow South Africans popping up on here.{wave}

WAFalconer said:
Its really cool to see so many fellow South Africans popping up on here.{wave}

Cool thanks WAFalconer. Where about is SA were you from ?

Thanks for the comps. again guy's. Hooked up my auto top up last night and tweaked the skimmers a bit. The Deltec is starting to pull some nice dark skimmate out. The Idol Marine is also starting to build some nice consistent foam. The IM is a locally made skimmer based loosely on a Deltec. It's a re circulating type using a OR3000 pump.
I'm waiting for my MH bulbs to arrive. XM 10k's and should hopefully have them before the end of the week.

Very nice set-up, looks like a ton of work but it is looking great!
Can't wait to see it loaded with your old tank!

WAFalconer said:
Unfortunately, I'm a born and raised "Vaalie" lol

Ahh that's too bad... :D lol just kidding. Don't know if you get much rugby coverage there but the Cats have been taking a Hammering in the Super 14. Then again so have the Sharks...

Hey Scooterman, thanks. It's not so much the ton of work, just trying to find the time to do it !! Been burning the midnight oil lately to try and get things done, but hey I suppose it's all those things that make this such a great hobby.

Outstanding! You have done some awesome work on this project. I look forward to the updates!

Your setup looks great, I'm sure I am not the only one who loves to watch other people put in systems like yours to get ideas for my future tanks.

Welcome to RF Dragonfly and joeyjoey1357!!

Tim

Back