The cabinet under the main display:

Cabinet.jpg

Internal DB
DBinside.jpg

Ballasts

Ballasts.jpg

Anthony,

Hou gaan dit?

Can't say I ever was.....My wife is from Fochville though up towards J'berg. Just left there from holiday in March and April. We get over about once a year. She visits and I try to tour, do the Argus(second time), ran the 2 oceans, lots of Cape wine, Kruger, Pilanesberg, and Umhlanga rocks(second time for me and the kids). My photo is from Crocodile bridge.

You have a great place to visit and I have only spent a cumulative year of my life there.

So far we have been lucky. Almost robbed twice, 2 years ago they took down a KNP elephant about 2 meters away from us on a park walk. The family has a lot harder time living there though. Even in the smaller places but I guess it is everywhere. The second night in Umhlanga our neighbor got robbed while they slept. It was on a second story and they left the safety gate open. duhhhhhh. Even on the beach row!!!! Go figure.

Anyway, sorry for the highjack on the thread but SA rocks!!! I make some sense of Afrikaans and it gets really easy once I get there. Mostly english but my oldest can understand very well. I am always open for a try though. Especially when the wife gets pissed!

Take it easy. By the way - is it difficult to get your equipment and frags? My wife did a couple dives down at Umkomas. fabulous. One of the best dives of her life despite the hell of a wind.

mooi bly,
Brian

Hey Brian, dit gaan baie goed, dankie.

Yeah I love it here. I live in Durban which is around the corner from Umhlanga, actually Umhlanga is a suburb of Durban. Umkomaas is about a 45 min drive from me as well. The infamous Aliwal Shoal, the place to go diving with Ragged toothed sharks - lol and maybe catch a Zebrosoma Gemmatum when in season.
Crime is unfortuneatly something we live with, but it still amazes me how naieve the people living here still are. It's about awareness. Don't go walking down a shady part of town at midnight, flashing jewelery and valuables and wonder why you got mugged. Happens all over the world. My garage got broken into a while ago, my own fault - security system all over the house except the garage - Doh. That's changed and I've never had another problem. My brother left SA about 6 years ago. He now lives in Vancouver B.C. I visited about 3 years ago and was amazed to see that everything there is kept under lock and key as well, not any different to here I thought to myself - lol

Cool about the Argus and Two Oceans, I cycle myself but have never been a big runner, and of course Durban is home to the famous Comrades Marathon so there's always pressure to run it at least once in your lifetime, but seriously 90km !!!!! - Don't they know the wheel has been invented !!

Equipment and livestock keeps getting better. The hobby is still quite small here but most of the big European brands are available. Deltec, Tunze, Aquamedic, ATI etc. Also Reef Octopus has recently come in and is creating a stir. Livestock shipments come in via the LFS's from Bali, Indo, Singapore etc.
Or online shopping is easy enough for hardware. I got quite a bit of stuff from premium aquatics.

Cool man, next time you're out here you must give me a shout and I'll introduce you to a couple of the local reefers. Ant Calfo and Steve Pro are hopefully coming out here next year August. We're busy putting together a conference being organised by our loacl reef club and our local board - sareekeeping.com.

Good chatting to you :)

Just a quick update. I've upgraded my IM1000 skimmer to a Reef Octopus DNW-200 Recirc. Just hooked it up today. Here's a pic of it breaking in:
DNW2001.jpg

My old IM1000 standing in front of it:
DNW2002.jpg

The sump slightly re configured. Both skimmers now run externaly:

Sumpcab2.jpg

Im still running the Deltec APF600, but I'm hoping that the Octo will make it redundant so that I can move it onto my frag farm.

Also changed my CA rx to a Reef Octopus CR100.
Octorx3.jpg

Some updated pics.
This tank really has tested my patience. Months of planning, careful setup, paying attention to detail etc etc and this is how the tank looked about 4 months ago:
The Algae outbreak from hell
6.jpg

Diabolical2.jpg

It really got me down and it seemed as if I would never get through it. But I hung in and the tank has finally turned the corner. It also prompted me to make some changes to the scape to maximise flow and lessen the dead spots.

This is how it looks at the moment:

5.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Looks good man:D Nice set up all the way around. It is funny how small the anthias look in that big tank:lol:

Keep up the good work and good pictures:)

-augustus

Okay... I need some aquascape advice/tips! Looks awesome!!! Did you use alot of smaller live rock and pin together?

Thanks guys. Here are some livestock pics. Not so much that they are pretty but because they have been to hell and back with me :)

Favia.jpg

Scolly-1.jpg

Starburst porites - not a great pic

Starburst.jpg

Love the shape of this Monti

Monti.jpg

Last edited:
Nice turn around Anthony. Its tough when the tank isn't looking the way you want it to. Great patience....it really paid off!

Back