Nana's 40B

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I think time & the Conch turning things up just right :)

As for the light, I will take pics but I just might clean the fuge out a bit before I add it. Don't want any sudden die off of the cyano and other algaes in there to affect my DT. Do you think that's possible?
All's I wanna do is pull the rock, scrape the glass and then siphon it all out. Without disturbing the SB of course.

As long as your return pump is off, I don't see how it could possibly affect the display tank.

I've had to do it a few times myself in the past and I didn't see any problems, except a cleaner sump/refugium.

Do you need some more chaeto?
I have plenty to spare.

I'll let you know on the Chaeto. See if what I have grows better with the new light.
I'm really keeping in mind that my tank is still very young.
I wish I could sell my old lights & skimmer. Would love to add a couple lil critters in there. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412217338.926979.jpg

I'll let you know on the Chaeto. See if what I have grows better with the new light.
I'm really keeping in mind that my tank is still very young.
I wish I could sell my old lights & skimmer. Would love to add a couple lil critters in there. View attachment 45502

Maybe it's time to get to know that other place again. Their sales forum is national.

I don't know how to price things-lol. IMO I see peps over pricing, its crazy! Never seen used items cost so much!
Do I get the money from buyer first then ship?

I usually look at the brand of the item and then the condition. If is a brand such as Tunze and the condition is like new, I think roughly 3/4 of the original cost. If it's older, then maybe a little less.
Less popular brands I start pricing at 50% if it's in good shape. Then less as is needed.
As on "American Pickers", be ready to bundle. ( combine items and lower price).
Always, always, get a zip code and get a accurate shipping quote before giving a final price, unless you can get the item in a flat rate box. Then add the cost of the flat rate box.
Say in the ad, the item is " $50 plus actual shipping". You would be surprised at the cost to ship to some small communities. I have been bitten bad by not checking a firm shipping quote before. Take pictures of the item and keep them, Don't delete them once the item is shipped. If shipping fragile items always over pack and take pictures for insurance reasons.
Paypal in advance. Plus even though you tell people they need to accept the paypal fee, many don't. So if you can adjust the sale price to include the fee, all the better.
In my area, shipping via USPS is usually cheapest, ( but I do check FedEx and UPS) and paying for postage online is the cheaper way to go.
It helps to have a good scale.
This is just for shipping dry goods.
Livestock is another thing. lol

It is kind of a pain, but when you don't have a lot of local reefers, it's a necessity.

The first thing I do when I'm going to sell something is look in the classifieds on RC and see if I can see what other people are selling like items for.
That also helps in figuring a price. Also, there may be some counter offers ( low ball offers), you should figure out in advance just how low you will go.

Then look for a good sturdy box to ship in and find the necessary packing materials. I absolutely love giving away my collection of peanuts. I end up with so many, there are like a plague.
Everybody is in a big drive to end the use of plastic grocery bags ( I agree), I think the next thing should be packing peanuts.

Then it's just wording your ad so it sounds like a good deal to someone else.

Above all be truthful about it and don't be afraid to show the scratches or dings.
People get a little crazy over a $10 item that has a ding you didn't mention.
I had someone accuse me of trying to pull a fast one.
I sold and shipped him a sea-swirl and it had a little piece of duct tape on the back side, that originally was holding a temp probe wire. I forgot to remove the duct tape when I shipped it.
The idiot made a post in my ad claiming I sent him a cracked sea-swirl, cause it had a piece of duct tape on it.
I told the dumb-ass to peel off the tape and look.

I had 3 other items for sale in that ad that hadn't sold yet and didn't sell after that.

Had to start a new ad because that one had negative posts in it.
Placed a new ad and everything sold in a week.

People can be jerks sometimes.

Roflmao!! Your too funny!! Well I'll get a box together for the skimmer. The lights fit perfectly in my LED box so that's a plus :)
Stupid me put the skimmer up for sale before I even had a box for it. AHDAH! I'll keep you posted how it goes. Maybe you can help me pick out some new corals with the funds :) Oh and I got a nice styrofoam box for your Favia :) the one on the left is yours!!
ynebu5ar.jpg

Pretty nice growth on the birdsnest.
Looks like it has color to me.

Why is it called a Strawberry Conch?

Those scarlett hermits are the only kind I trust around corals.

Great growth...color from the camera+ LED lol.

Scientific Name Strombus luhuanus aka Strawberry Conch. Maybe because the inside of its shell is a pretty red? Lol

I love my lil Hermit :)

Great growth...color from the camera+ LED lol.

Scientific Name Strombus luhuanus aka Strawberry Conch. Maybe because the inside of its shell is a pretty red? Lol

I love my lil Hermit :)

I did a google search on Strombus luhuanus and the pictures do show the red color on the inside of the shell.
Learn something new everyday. :)

21wks old tomorrow! Nothing really new happening. All corals doing great! Lots of new growth. Fish are doing great as well. Been thinking of a new addition, just not sure what-lol.
Although I love the minimalist look of my rock work, I'm beginning to wonder if it was/is such a good idea. Mainly because of the lack of living quarters for critters.
My new Reef Radiance DM-5e LED fuge lamp seems to be working quite well. In that I no longer am growing cyano-lol. Chaeto seems to be growing now! Funny thing is the lamp is only 5w. 2x white, 1x red, 1x blue and 1x violet. You would think that this would be no where near enough light to grow anything.
That's about it for now. :)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414158176.052298.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414158191.803179.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414158205.888907.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414158224.489161.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414158251.341503.jpg

Thank you Blue Lip! I'm pretty pleased ATM :) Especially now that my Birds Nest seems to be coloring up. Skelton not so much white anymore. Thinking I may have found the sweat spot with lighting. Only took me 21wks-lol. It just might become the Purple it's supposed to be!!

30a1d0aa94ec7719b61ec880a50ee2cd.jpg

9175c5e2076a6976cc88222c140bff44.jpg

4e21a060c96bbb6593540ffa3724b438.jpg

Back