Nana's 40B

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

meh, I'm not too picky about Mg either. Just dump some in when it tests low... its often a forgotten thing thing, which is why I asked....

Well I should have known that by cleaning out my fuge, removed the entire substrate that it would lead to issues in my DT. My rock has now developed HA. Yuppers on top of the nasty SB issues I now get to deal with Hair Algae!I mean it's cropping up everywhere, it's even on my Strawberry Conch. Smothering my Zoa's even. WTH is going on inside my tank?! I just wanna cry.....

Are you sure its cleaning the fuge, and not just that the Vibrant dosing has "worn off"?

It's possibly a combination of the two. At the moment I've nothing in my fuge competing with the algae.
I'm wondering if I should start the Vibrant dosing back up? But it will kill the tiny bit of chaeto I do have in the fuge, which isn't the healthiest of Chaeto in the first place.
Think I should start dosing again?

Personally, I'd be tempted to throw the chaeto out, dose until things were clear, and then start 'clean' with new chaeto and no dosing. That of course makes a big assumption that the dosing will clear everything up, but it seems like the dosing gave you your biggest gains...

I dosed for 4wks. 6ml 2x weekly. My tank was getting smothered in red and green cyano, thats why I stopped dosing it. Then once I got that cleared up the Hair Algae has kicked in. Now the makers of Vibrant says not to dose it but to just manually remove the HA and keep up with maintenance. So I don't know what to do really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is pretty cool watching my cuc doing their jobs. Every morning I'm finding very clean areas where HA once had hold. I have a Cowery Snail that is a ferocious eater! I'm still going to have to do some manual cleaning but I'll just suck that up during a WC. The rest I'll be leaving up to da crew-lol.

Slower then I'd like but yeah. I'll just keep at it. Fixing to run a lil GFO for a couple weeks see how that goes.
Thanks for hanging with me spieszak :)

Slow and steady is the only way to reef.
I've had a bunch of problems with my 180 recently, I'm kind of living vicariously through other peoples successes. It may not feel like it all the time, but you have a very successful tank! :)

I have one left, he's about the size of the top of my hand. Its going to be a crappy day when he passes

They never seem to last that long for me or so it seems. I'm not even sure exactly what it is they eat. Are they strictly herbivores?

Fairly certain they are. Mine is a "tiger stripe" turbo.. not sure if that means anything or not, but anytime I've mentioned it, folks always seem to settle down their wondering. I've had him six or seven years now. I shuffle him between tanks when I see him and the lights are on, because that is a sign to me that he isn't finding enough to eat.

Wondering why mine died. Thought for sure there was plenty for him to eat between DT & sump. Can't imagine ever keeping one as long as you have, 6-7yrs wow!
I don't want to get another because to me they're not disposable and if it's something in my tank well I won't risk it.
Hermits, Nass, Conch and a lone Spiny Astarea Star are all doing well. I've even got some bumble bee Snails that are like 3-4yrs old from when I first set up my 26g. Turbos just never live very long for me.

Back