O.K Here it is...Atlantis!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

i can't wait for more pictures dood.
don't forget to take pictures with Mickey and if you can take a picture of Hulk with you :D... please !!! i'd love to see that picture

Great pictures, I want to do a painting based on that lookdown tank.
Have you thought about approaching management at the hotel and seeing if they would give you permission to take photos for Reef Frontiers? You could tell them the limited shots you have gotten have sparked huge interest among us fishophiles and that the photos could easily motivate a few of us to choose to patronize their establishment... it's worth a shot. They might just go for the thought of free advertising, publicity on an international board. Or if you have any experience writing tell them you are doing an article for an online magazine. Coral magazine did an article on this place, it's a lot of fun. The fact that they wouldn't have to put you up might help, and they may even give the backstage tour. Last ditch: Form a "local aquarium club" (group of friends) and ask for a tour by their staff. Works at the Seattle Aquarium.
Kate

Great pictures, I want to do a painting based on that lookdown tank.
Have you thought about approaching management at the hotel and seeing if they would give you permission to take photos for Reef Frontiers? You could tell them the limited shots you have gotten have sparked huge interest among us fishophiles and that the photos could easily motivate a few of us to choose to patronize their establishment... it's worth a shot. They might just go for the thought of free advertising, publicity on an international board. Or if you have any experience writing tell them you are doing an article for an online magazine. Coral magazine did an article on this place, it's a lot of fun. The fact that they wouldn't have to put you up might help, and they may even give the backstage tour. Last ditch: Form a "local aquarium club" (group of friends) and ask for a tour by their staff. Works at the Seattle Aquarium.
Kate

LOL...I know a few people over there and I'm sure I can get access to their tanks from the back (filtration etc.) I've never actually thought of doing that before you mentioned that...Good thinking. I may have to look into it. They won't mind pictures at all though. They love the advertising. Glad you liked the shots! I got a new camera so when I go over to Atlantis again, I'll shoot some more shots and angles of the lookdown tank for you.:)

Thanks! They are not a fish I would go out of my way to keep but I like looking at them... a lot of fish are like that. Far as painting goes, the criteria for what I pick is more based on what I think will look good in the end than what most people would choose, IE I think a large angelfish with bold markings is a popular choice but I like fish with unusual lines and shadows that will look good in paint. It's also good to paint things you can't keep in real life, both because then you still have them in your house and because nobody can compare the picture to the real thing :) I would far rather have a picture of a scorpionfish than the real thing...
I have a lot of experience scamming my way into venues from my days writing music reviews. Got to see bands for free 3 out of 4 times, never got paid for the reviews but it got me a lot of swag and tickets. My boyfriend did it too for another mag as well as booked, so we are up to our ears in band tshirts and promo CD's. Still trying to figure out how I can translate that into getting free skimmers, lights etc from the aquarium industry. What, don't they do product reviews? They should! Course some of em are better off not getting reviewed :)
Kate

Great Pics Krish! That looks like a great place. Also, I'd love to see some photos of the 'behind-the-scenes' equipment etc....Kind of dorky, I know, but sometimes I'm as interested in the hardware as I am in the livestock...:rolleyes:

BTW, my family and I will be in the Bahamas for a few days in early March. Any sights or other things we shouldn't miss?

Thanks the pics!

Great Pics Krish! That looks like a great place. Also, I'd love to see some photos of the 'behind-the-scenes' equipment etc....Kind of dorky, I know, but sometimes I'm as interested in the hardware as I am in the livestock...

BTW, my family and I will be in the Bahamas for a few days in early March. Any sights or other things we shouldn't miss?

Thanks the pics!

Thanks...and yeah, I will try to get some behing the scenes photos. I'm dying to see how it is all setup, but other than divers going in with scuba gear to physically clean the glass, from my understanding they use the ocean as their filtration. They pump in and push out water between the tanks and the ocean. Pretty cool!

Are you coming to Nassau or another island? If it is Nassau, there's quite a bit you can do and see. It will also be spring break time when you come so if you have kids, bring dark shades to cover their eyes(LOL)

krish75 said:
Thanks...and yeah, I will try to get some behing the scenes photos. I'm dying to see how it is all setup, but other than divers going in with scuba gear to physically clean the glass, from my understanding they use the ocean as their filtration. They pump in and push out water between the tanks and the ocean. Pretty cool!
Very cool indeed! I guess that with all that NSW at hand, they could save a lot of money on equipment. It almost seems that things like skimmers would be unnecessary if you're able to do massive water changes daily. But heck! A salwater aquarium with no skimmer??? Where's the fun in that? JK....

Our plan is to spend a couple days on Nassau, and then a day or two on one of the outlying islands. My dad lives in Florida and he'll be bringing his boat over, so we'll be able to cruise around a bit. Would like to do some snorkelling, but am also interested in any other neat places, like Atlantis.

Very cool indeed! I guess that with all that NSW at hand, they could save a lot of money on equipment. It almost seems that things like skimmers would be unnecessary if you're able to do massive water changes daily. But heck! A salwater aquarium with no skimmer??? Where's the fun in that? JK....

LOL...They may use them on the smaller display tanks like the lookdown, jellyfish etc, but not sure about the huge one that takes forever to walk past.

Our plan is to spend a couple days on Nassau, and then a day or two on one of the outlying islands. My dad lives in Florida and he'll be bringing his boat over, so we'll be able to cruise around a bit. Would like to do some snorkelling, but am also interested in any other neat places, like Atlantis.

Well, since you are coming on a boat, then you can pretty much see quite a bit. Nassau is surrounded by a few cays that you could snorkle around and see beautiful reefs that haven't had much human interference. Some parts of the island is depressing to me because you have retarded un-educated bahamians toching the reefs and bleaching them (which is illegal) when looking for crawfish so some reefs in certain areas are pretty much dead! You won't get me in any water here in March though...It's too cold for me(LOL) But I'd go out with you and show you the best spots to dive! Besides diving, there is Blue lagoon island you can spend the day at to relax in hammocks, swim with stingray's or dolphins, listen to live bahamian band, have lunch etc. which you go to by ferry, there's downtown Baystreet where you can walk around the straw markets, and other cool stores etc. But if you really want to see the most amazing water and marine life I've ever seen so far, is to visit the Exuma Cays with is about 1 and a half hours south of Nassau! You'd think you died and went to heaven! Oh yeah, and big game fishing is great there as well...

Thanks Krish; sounds great!

Blue Lagoon island sounds perfect. Swimming with stingrays and dolphins...wow! Wait till my girlfriend hears about that.

Is the Exumas Cays primarily for diving, or is the snorkelling there good as well? None of us are divers so we need to stay in shallower waters.

And yeah, I hear your point about certain people misusing reef areas. Here in Taiwan there are some great reefs, and quite a few of them have people renting Jet-skis directly above the reefs where others are trying to snorkel. Very sad...

Anyway, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. But thank you for the information. And wish you a very happy Year of the Dog. :)

LOL...You can hijack any thread I start. Gabby and I do it to people all the time (shhh she taught me LOL)

The Exuma cays are great for anything to do with water (fishing, diving etc.) I don't scuba. I just use a snorkle, fins and a mask. But you don't need to go deep to see great reefs. You can go a mile or more off of shore and still be in only 10-15ft of water in some areas. Right off of the eastern point of the island, I'd say you'd have about the width of Nassau (7 miles) of reefs one after the other. Sometimes we stop at the first one and just keep swimming alongside the boat reef hopping! It's great! and you can also find reefs of of Rose island (about 10-15 minutes from the mainland Nassau) where you can walk off of the beach and swim around a huge reef in water so shallow that at low tide parts of it stick out of the water! You'll have a great time...

ohh dood, just to read your posts, make me wanna drool !!
i still want more pictures .

You should have been a photographer(LOL) Soon Gabby soon:lol:

Beautiful picture's Kirsh,I Will have to put Atlantis on my Destinations list:):D

Last edited:
Some say heaven is a place on Earth...I have not yet found it..But some of the pic's i see of Spot's like that ......Like you said ...Like you went to heaven

Last edited:
LOL...You can hijack any thread I start. Gabby and I do it to people all the time (shhh she taught me LOL)

hmm who.. me? :lol:

You should have been a photographer(LOL) Soon Gabby soon

yeah but i have bad luck with cameras and places where i move... may be when my kids turn 18, my husband and i will be your neighbours :D .

hmm i didn't know you and bears dood felt so strong about dead.

I am gettin kinda sleppyyy...Sleepy....So i here Hawaii Is another place like that...U know...Heaven...

Back