Peppie's 180 Reef-Room

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Thats gonna be SWEET! Why do you keep calling your tank a 180 when the conventional dimensions say its like a 250!!!!!!! c'mon man, stop it. ITS A 250DD!!!

I think inwalls are so awesome. I've always wanted one, but never had the house that would work.
My first wife and I talked about one in our first house in 1973, but other things happened.

I was wondering about when you watch TV, is the tank going to be a distraction, or the other way around?

I think inwalls are so awesome. I've always wanted one, but never had the house that would work.
My first wife and I talked about one in our first house in 1973, but other things happened.

I was wondering about when you watch TV, is the tank going to be a distraction, or the other way around?

I am looking forward to having an in-wall.
To convince my wife it needed to be an in-wall, I put blue tape on the floor were the tank would sit. It took up more floor space than the TV stand.
As for the tank distracting from the TV, or the other way around. I am sure we will get use to it very quickly.

Thats gonna be SWEET! Why do you keep calling your tank a 180 when the conventional dimensions say its like a 250!!!!!!! c'mon man, stop it. ITS A 250DD!!!

I wish,
At best 49 X 38 X 24 = 193.454545454545454545454545454545454545454545454545454545454545454545454545454545454545454545454545454545454

Didnt want to say it was a 200gal. Someone may call BS.
180, 200 ,210 splitting hairs!!!
Alls I know it is bigger than what I have, and will serve me well for a long time.

I wish,
At best 49 X 38 X 24 = 193.454545454545454545454545454545454545454545454545454545454545454545454545454545454545454545454545454545454

Didnt want to say it was a 200gal. Someone may call BS.
180, 200 ,210 splitting hairs!!!
Alls I know it is bigger than what I have, and will serve me well for a long time.

Find a 107 gallon sump. Then you can call it a 300gallon system.:)

Find a 107 gallon sump. Then you can call it a 300gallon system.:)

The sump I intend to use is 126gal, if I run it 3/4 full that is another 93 gal, + a 60 gal separate fuge. Lets see..... thats 153+193= 366 gal system. I DID IT

You can buy a clear primer product now. WeldOn has one.

Since you cut a hole in the water barrel a float valve is as simple as drilling a hole and tighting a nut.
I quit using primer on PVC pipe years ago. If you ask around, a lot of LFS don't use it when plumbing tanks either.
peppie said:
thats 153+193= 366 gal system. I DID IT
You did what, exactly?

O come on when i was his age................well i don't remember......what were we talking about:faint2:

Wish i had a reef bud makes things fun when 2 minds are working together:) Well in your case 1 1/2 minds...........

I quit using primer on PVC pipe years ago. If you ask around, a lot of LFS don't use it when plumbing tanks either.

You did what, exactly?

I was trying to get get my total water volume in my system to over 300 gal, by adding in the tank, sump and fuge.

But as Lorie pointed out, I cant even add two numbers correctly! LOL Now I am wondering if I even have a 75 gal DT.

O come on when i was his age................well i don't remember......what were we talking about:faint2:

Wish i had a reef bud makes things fun when 2 minds are working together:) Well in your case 1 1/2 minds...........

I does make it a lot more fun when you have a reefer friend that lives so close by.It has helped me rethink my build many many times.

I does make it a lot more fun when you have a reefer friend that lives so close by.It has helped me rethink my build many many times.

you have more than one close by reefer friend, but assuming you speak of me....man you are the one that has me re-think everything( for the better of course) sometime I don't want to make a single move without consulting with you first no matter how simple the task!

you have more than one close by reefer friend, but assuming you speak of me....man you are the one that has me re-think everything( for the better of course) sometime I don't want to make a single move without consulting with you first no matter how simple the task!

I have come to realize that there is someone else in this hobby that over-thinks things way more than I do. LOL
That can be a good thing or it can be a hindrance. It could make a big difference, and a huge amount of extra work and expense. Would it be worth all that?

Being so new to this hobby makes some of us question EVERYTHING. How it works? Why it works? Why it dont work?

You can be successful in this hobby with so many different approaches it is mind boggling. I think that is one of the most appealing aspects to this hobby.

Now on with the boring (for some) construction part of my reefroom.
Todays project. Frame half a hole in this wall.

Now that all of the parts, and stand are cleared out you can see I have made a full scale drawing on the wall. I only get one shot at placing this hole in the right spot. I dont want to have to tell the boss I need to do extra drywall, and paint work on the livingroom side of the wall. (bad news)

Drywall off and insulation removed. The hole is overcut(size wise) so I can frame in the sill and header

Studs cut out. This was the tricky part. I got the studs out of the wall without leaving a mark, dimple, or sawcut on the other side of the wall.

Framed in the hole.

Add some drywall and a couple pans of hot mud,and call it a day.

Tomorrow I will primer,paint, and maybe glue some plastic to the wall.

Wow, thats a lot of work in one day.

It wasnt to bad, Had about 5 hours wrapped up in it. Had a few of visitors during the day. M-grunt stopped by to make sure I was making good progress.
Kevin stopped to bail me out on some 12-3 wire. ( I ran out ) Thanks Kevin. Then Matt, ( Craztfish) stopped by, needed to barrow the fishtrap.

Was a good day all in all.

Oh yea, and a trip to HD for electrical boxes.

Yes could i have two blondes and a bucket of chicken please.......WHAT oh i am sorry i thought this was a drive up window:)
Looks great and gonna be nice!

Looking good! Are you building an access door on the living room side of the tank?

Also, regarding your over thinking comment. IMO with a built in like this, a lot of planning is a good thing. Outlets, and access doors are pretty permanent. With a small set up I tend to just whip them out now days. I just plumbed in a 180 and set up the lights in four hours yesterday. Another hour and a half this morning and it will be done. A tank can be simple or very complicated and still work. One thing to keep in mind with a large set up though, if its too complicated even your reefing friends will be overwhelmed if you ask them to watch the tank when you go on vacation.

Last edited:
Back