Roscoe's 270g build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

that really really sucks man i give you good luck with what ever you decide to do i hope something works out

i dont know if i could glue a tank that big on the bottom even if someone told me it was okay i just wouldnt want to think of all the water on the floor when i come home one day

again man super sorry that sucks and good luck what ever you want to do really wanted to see that beast go up

that really really sucks man i give you good luck with what ever you decide to do i hope something works out

i dont know if i could glue a tank that big on the bottom even if someone told me it was okay i just wouldnt want to think of all the water on the floor when i come home one day

again man super sorry that sucks and good luck what ever you want to do really wanted to see that beast go up

I'm 60/40 on this right now and more towards not setting this up just because it's such a HUGE risk.

Not trying to be a stick in the mud, BUT, if it was me, I wouldn't trust it..

Ask Chad what it's like to come home to a blown out tank.

Let me know If I can help in any way??

I don't know what else to do. There is one or two thing to do. Ditch the tank or take the chance. I know the aquarium is held together with silicone but I don't know about a crack on the bottom being able to hold the integrity of the tank. The crack isn't thick but I can feel it. Would there be enough pressure to possibly blow the bottom of the tank even though it has a solid top stand?

I really hate to say it but unfortunately I wouldn't trust it either. The only way I would be comfy with it would be the replace the glass.

Tom

Not trying to be a stick in the mud, BUT, if it was me, I wouldn't trust it..

Ask Chad what it's like to come home to a blown out tank.

I know he was here. It is scary! I might just have to wait out just a tad bit longer and custom order the same dimension tank since I already have almost everything for it. I should've done that in the 1st place but I couldn't pass on the tank.

I am not an expert or anything close...can you maybe double up the glass on the bottom or top of the crack and attach it with silicone (similar to the way they patch acrylic)? Seems like it would strengthen the area and prevent a spread of the crack.

I'm really sorry to hear this Bud. Really sucks. Another option might be to replace the bottom glass on the tank. People do this as well as some shops. I am really bummed to hear this.

I am not an expert or anything close...can you maybe double up the glass on the bottom or top of the crack and attach it with silicone (similar to the way they patch acrylic)? Seems like it would strengthen the area and prevent a spread of the crack.

I'm really sorry to hear this Bud. Really sucks. Another option might be to replace the bottom glass on the tank. People do this as well as some shops. I am really bummed to hear this.

Yeah it totally sucks! I have no idea who to talk to try to repair it? I know where I can buy the glass sheet but I don't know of anyone or shop that can replace the glass. Do you have any ideas or suggestion on who can possibly fix or replace the bottom?

You could just put the new glass over the old and silicone it in and then drill the back of the tank for your overflow and return???

Sarang ,,so sorryto hear what happened,,i just want to share my experienced from cracked glass i didn't even known:copy from my RC TOTM june 2008

It was 3:00 AM when I heard the noise. BOOM! It was a fateful noise that woke me from my sleep. I wasn’t sure what had happened. I thought a bomb went off or the furnace blew up, so I rushed to the garage (where the tank was temporarily placed) and opened the door. With the first step into the garage I knew where the noise came from. There was water everywhere in the garage! My heart sank because I knew it was my tank that had exploded.

just have to think about it ,,a lot of water presure in 270gals tank??
so sorry about your tank ,man,,,goona get professional fix or get the BN one.

Last edited:
Maybe check with servicky here on RF. Here's the thread where he built his own glass tank. You commented on the thread. Might be able to get some insight/help there. I'll keep looking.

Not cool brother, this is horrible news. I know how much work and money you have put into this project. I will ask around about how to fix it and see what I come up with. Hang in there, all you can do is move forward from here.

rosco, sorry to hear the news. as for any repair to the crack. NO. JUST SAY NO ... LOL> any how its not safe to try and repair. it will either need a new bottom or just replace the whole tank. remember what i told you about glass tanks. I am not a fan of them because of my past experience. once again bro i am so sorry to hear about it. if there is anything I can do let me know.

Maybe check with servicky here on RF. Here's the thread where he built his own glass tank. You commented on the thread. Might be able to get some insight/help there. I'll keep looking.

Oh man Sarang - very sorry to hear. FWIW, I think Reed's advice is what I'd go after. I don't know anyone else who does this. Maybe Barrier or another LFS could recomend another alternative....

Thanks for the help and encourageing words eveyone! I am like in a daze right now. I can't believe it right now. I did a test run and looks like all the leaks were fixed I checked the bottom of the tank to see if anything was leaking and feeling the bottom of the tank and nothing. I had to leave to my Dr. Appt. and I was anxious to get back home to fire the tank up. I got home checked to see if there were any leaks and there were a tiny wet spot. I ran my fingers across the glass and I felt a lip and I looked closer and there it was a clear crack between the BH and one leading from a BH towards the back glass.

Back