Running a fish tank without arms or legs

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Wow , Brendon great story. Thanks for sharing. I was just talking to someone today about how most of take for granted the ability to use our arms and legs. In Portland, one of the owners of a LFS here is a quadriplegic. I believe from a diving accident as well but I could be wrong. I was always impressed how he was able to get around and take care of everything and remain so positive and upbeat. When he is in the shop alone he simply talks you through catching and bagging up the fish or anything else that needs to be done.

Interesting. Wow. that's quite inspiring to me. That fish tank saved my life.

Dexter to kick off your new year I would like to give you a Purple Hornet to add to your collection. All I ask is to gets some updates on it and a pic here and there if possible.

I don't know why but I was immediatly drawn to you....maybe because you share the name of my son, your avatar being....well...avatar, or the fact that you alone inspire me with your devotion.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Just get with me regarding shipping or meeting up to get it. Figure this would be a nice addition to your collection....plus I saw in previous posts in this thread that you were looking for them.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Yeah. I definitely was that they are way out of my means so thank you very much! Where do you live?

Not very good at all. I'm thinking about selling it right now. It's gone downhill over some time.

Awe man, I'm sorry to hear that Dexter. I wish I was on your side of the world, I would not hesitate to come help you out some. Maybe you need to reach out to the members here that were helping when last I saw. You west coast boy's seem to stick together well enough :)

Oh don't sell it Dexter! This tank looked so great and meant a lot to you. And I bet a lot of people over there will help you to get it healthy again. I sure would if I lived over there.

hey dexter ill be up near lynnwood friday the 15th i can test and change water if need be. post some photos or is it past that point? I know this may sound odd but the more water the less maintenance so maybe its time to upgrade or is it time to move on? I can look into my tank for houers at a time. pm me if i can help

All I want for Christmas is to get my fish is to get my fish tank going again
Hey there reef frontier members. I use to have a thread on your called running a fish tank without arms or legs and it was amazing watching life grow and have a world I was growing myself. Four years ago, I dove into a pool and I broke my neck. I'm paralyzed from the shoulders down and I'm unable to use my hands. Here's a link to my story. STPNS - Tragic turn for skillful swimmer, Edmonds, Washington

I bought a 29 gallon bio cube that flourished and it was so beautiful and amazing. I learned a lot from the very beginning and enjoyed it every single day. This fish tank completely turned my life around. I had a hard time the first year I was paralyzed, but it gave me something beautiful to look at and look forward to. I had so many great and intricate coral in my tank, from zoas to mushrooms and many more. I had a few great fish in there. I had my clown fish, and my blenny and my mandarin dragonet was so fun to look at. I always struggled with diatoms because I had live sand, so I decided to change it to gravel. I made a grave mistake and I did not rinse out the gravel before I put it into the water. All the dirt on the gravel killed the entire tank. It was all over within 2 days, my entire kingdom of life had ceased. I was distraught. I tried to get it running again but within a few weeks there was a power surge and it blew the lights in the tank. I didn't have enough money to replace them so I basically just gave up. I finally decided that I'm going to get my fish tank going again recently. It's been almost 2 years. I've bought the lights and that's the first step. There is live rock but the water needs to be changed and the tank needs to be set up correctly. My mom has given me $150 to get my tank up and going again. I just need a little help getting it set up again. If anybody would be interested in helping out a fellow reefer, please let me know. I can even give you a little of money. email me or pm me. I don't check this often but will try to. [email protected]

I hope everybody is having a merry christmas and happy holidays.

Back