Running a fish tank without arms or legs

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

It has been forever since I've been on here. I've had some troubles over the last few months and it's taken me a long time to play catchup. I've been very low on money so I haven't been able to do too many updates. BUT... I now have a protein skimmer coming in the mail. I am super excited. I just got a camera back as well so I'm going to post some pictures very soon.

I'm sorry to hear about your accident, but I find it admirable how you've pushed on! Makes for a great role model for anyone! You have an amazing tank as well! Good luck with it all! :)

Well, it has had its ups and downs. But it is a work in progress. I definitely need to do some maintenance right now but need some extra hands to do so.

Okay, time for an update.

It's been quite a while since I've done one.

I just bought a new protein skimmer. Now I am going to install that and Hopefully it will clear up a lot of my cyano problems.

Okay! Here are some pictures that I took the other day. Check it out and tell me what you think.

SANY0006-1.jpg

SANY0007.jpg

SANY0008-1.jpg

SANY0009-2.jpg

SANY0011-1.jpg

SANY0013-1.jpg

SANY0016.jpg

SANY0018-1.jpg

SANY0023.jpg

SANY0024.jpg

SANY0032-1.jpg

SANY0048.jpg

We're about to do a full change of sand and add extra to the tank. Wish me luck!

Good luck Brendon!
Sorry to miss the thread for so long. The pictures are very good. :)
Why are you changing out the sand bed now? I see you have some cyano on the sand bed but that can be fixed.

Well, adding live sand will only impact the water parameters in a negative way on an established aquarium. From observation and reading of others doing this, live sand tends to leave deposits that are the root cause of cyanobacteria. Dead sand would not cause this. Also it would be a welcome source for added elements such as calcium and Magnesium.

The chances of your bag of live sand bought at a local fish store actually "being live" are slim. This said sand is after all sealed in a plastic bag, starved of oxygen and subjected to many temperature changes. It is doubtful there is anything left alive in there by the time it gets to the hobbyists hands.
So your adding to your tank most likely sand that has been soaking in high nitrates, P04 and ammonia from the die off within it.

Well, adding live sand will only impact the water parameters in a negative way on an established aquarium. From observation and reading of others doing this, live sand tends to leave deposits that are the root cause of cyanobacteria. Dead sand would not cause this. Also it would be a welcome source for added elements such as calcium and Magnesium.

The chances of your bag of live sand bought at a local fish store actually "being live" are slim. This said sand is after all sealed in a plastic bag, starved of oxygen and subjected to many temperature changes. It is doubtful there is anything left alive in there by the time it gets to the hobbyists hands.
So your adding to your tank most likely sand that has been soaking in high nitrates, P04 and ammonia from the die off within it.

Really? What would you use?

I agree with Frankie on adding "live sand" to an established aquarium. You don't know how it will affect things. Safer bet would be to go with dry sand and let your creent sandbed seed it from there.

Good luck! :)

The one thing I don't like about that is that it doesn't look very good. Is there something else you would recommend?
I don't know Dexter, the stuff looked pretty cool in my reef:
006-15.jpg

I think your just being stubborn ;)
It's doesn't matter anyhow as long as your using dry dead sand you should be ok. I recommend this stuff because it is free of silicates and has good texture for sand sifters and sand dwelling creatures.

I don't know Dexter, the stuff looked pretty cool in my reef:
006-15.jpg

I think your just being stubborn ;)
It's doesn't matter anyhow as long as your using dry dead sand you should be ok. I recommend this stuff because it is free of silicates and has good texture for sand sifters and sand dwelling creatures.

Okay. I took your advise. Gravel it is going to be!

Back