Scooties Project "X"

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sequence Impeller Replacement!

Well after talking to Reeflow dept. at sequence pumps, they helped me figure out what I needed. So while I'm still making water to test the difference, I figured I should post the impeller replacement, It was easy!

Well I finally made up enough water to get the sump return working again, this time with the smaller Impeller, made a difference but that is just one heck of a pump, still throttling in back into the sump but this time a lot less, I'll feed the skimmer, carbon/phosphate reactor & when I get a chiller I'll feed it & that should be about right, LOL. I think it is a little louder now but I've made changes to the stand enclosure, It should be ok when all done. I'm using the 1 1/2" Styrofoam Tom used in shipping my tank to insulate the inner walls of the tank, sounds like I'm making a heat chamber but I think actually I'll pump it all out before it becomes a problem, guess we'll see next summer. I still need to do a heat test with the new impeller to see just how much heat will be added to the system, right now it is fairly cool but that will change in the summer. With the closed loop & the SQ Tarpon return pump I'm estimating a current draw of 2.8 amps continuously that will consume the most power but when you add lights & chiller that will equate to about double the power consumption. I'll do a more complete power cost later when I get my new fluke ammeter. At this rate man I hope to have corals by the spring, ok maybe sooner who knows I'm slow these days, at least I have water:)

Ssssounds good Scooty! Take your time man and then you won't have to be like me messing with things:p I can't believe that pump is still putting all that flow out! :eek: Un-real...Well, atleast you got it all figured out:)

I can't believe that pump is still putting all that flow out! :eek: Un-real...Well, atleast you got it all figured out:)

No I like to think I have it all figured out but really man sometimes I think I'm over my head but then I see the stuff DonW does & get re-inspired!:eek: sorta!
I'm just winging it as I go man!:oops:

Salty Water!!

Well I just dumped about 3/4 of a 200g bucket of IO, so now I officially have a salty water tank:eek: !! Working on the front doors, & some insulation in the sump area, new pump Impeller is just right but it is a huge pump for in a main room, so I'll working of closing up the sump area & planing on using fans to pump hot air out that area up into the attic, like on my dryer duct. I'll eventually have to invest in a chiller so for now I'll work on intermediate cooling & see how much will I need to chill later when I get lights etc up, probably by next summer hopefully! I also got the level controller, ATO set-up & adjusted to tank running level, this unit will shut off the main pump in case the display overflows for some reason, also will shut off the ATO if the sump raises too high, really neat equipment, worth the extra cost, later after I get everything running I may look into sonic level controllers If deemed necessary. I will also eventually add some PLC control to shutoff the main pump rather than have it cycle under certain conditions. I hope to soon get the MBV actuator in operation also, th program is running perfectly so all I need is some relay logic, a panel, two 130V MOV's to protect the actuator, & also a few breakers, I'll eventually control the lighting also with the PLC, not to mention everything else one day, I will eventually install cameras & design remote control over the Internet, so wherever I go I can monitor the tank & the entire house:D
Big plans, long way to go!:rolleyes: This weekend I'll continue with the wood work, & will start playing around with the skimmer, I hope the Ehiem Needle wheel comes out so I can upgrade to that, & get this MadDog skimmer recirculating & skimming properly. :confused: Oh boy I need help:lol:

Hey Scooter,

It is looking awesome!!! More pics!

I actually thought I might be getting mine wet before you! I guess not. I am still fiddling with plumbing and pump placement. Stand and canopy are now done except for door mounting.

Scooter,

I know your a ways off on the video, but have you done any research yet?

Don

I looked into the X10 website, you can get these units rather cheap & interface easily. The only other option I was looking into was going through the PLC & with control but that gets expensive from what I've found. I'll have some control somehow just haven't looked into it deep enough yet.

I looked into the X10 website, you can get these units rather cheap & interface easily. The only other option I was looking into was going through the PLC & with control but that gets expensive from what I've found. I'll have some control somehow just haven't looked into it deep enough yet.

Ive got a bucket full of the x10 ones, I'd stay away from them. I was concidering 802.11g but cant find any real info.

Don

Don let me talk to a few of my engineer buddies & see what I could use within a reasonable cost. Where I work at (Chevron business) all of their control systems are monitored by Wonderware with limited control. I think we can find a user friendly version about 10, 20 thousand dollars cheaper:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back