Scooties Project "X"

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well after calling Reeflow about my pump, they suggested I go larger on the suction, they seemed to of updated their information as to what size should be used on these pumps. So I went from 1" to 1 1/2" PVC & Ball, all I can say is it is much bigger! :eek: I'm hoping this will make it quieter, they said it should be very quite, If this doesn't work I'll get them to replace it free of charge. I hope to also re-plumb the output later, I just need the time but It may seem that is something that may have to wait for now. I'll post on the effects of this replacement job when the glues is dry & it is running, I hope it works. Other than that, this is a low power pressure rated pump & it does everything that they claim, It is a machine of serious business. I run the return, tee to the chiller & can run a reactor or whatever off one pump & this is with the smaller impeller, I have a larger one is ever necessary. I can crank it down & it will draw less power, as I already tested it with my meter. The service tech. said it should run even quieter now, even less power & less added heat, always a plus. So for now we wait LOL!

Well running the pump, guess what Dhoo!
Larger Pipe equals less restrictions & more flow! Yes It is quieter but now have to choke it back more which does make a slight difference In sound. It is fairly quite compared to all the other things I've got running, so I'm happy, just think If I have the other Impeller on it, man, It would shoot 35 feet straight up easy!:eek: I will increase the outlet size from 3/4" to 1" up to where It Tees off for the Chiller & from there leave it alone, this I think will ease up on the pressure & may help quieten it up more but mainly doing it to make a new route for the plumbing. Talk about flow when I crank it wide open, LOL, it cleans up the tank fast, one hour & the sock is filthy, tank is sparkley!:eek2:

I still may get a replacement, this morning I got a good chance to listen to it quietly, don't know if it will make a difference but worth a try to me.

Well after this morning I sent Reeflow an e-mail, even though I think it helped some going bigger I still think it should be quieter but not sure so she decided to send one tested & use it as a biases to how quite it should be when I get it installed & running.

Hi Scott,
I am glad that you were able to get some of that plumbing changed out. The problem with these UNO series is that since they have the smaller inlet/outlet many people think that the only way for them to function correctly is with the smaller piping. We have been trying to spread the word that they can be run with small piping, but as with any of our pumps, if you can make the piping bigger it will benefit you in flow, watt draw and sometimes noise.
If you have changed the inlet and you are still hearing the pump from a room away, there must be something internally wrong with the motor. i was hoping that since you described the noise as starting the day you plugged in the pump, that it was something with the system making it noisey. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case. I would like to send you are replacement unit so I can be confident that you have a pump that is running at its correct noise level.
I am going to have my repair tech build up a Tarpon for you as a replacement so I know that the pump you will be receiving is as quiet as I know the Uno series to be.
To start the return process, I need the serial number off of the wet end of the pump. I understand that you originally had a wahoo and changed the impeller to a Tarpon, so we will send you a refurb Tarpon. Email me with your full name, shipping address and telephone number. We also require a credit card for this process. The card will not be charged as long as you send the original unit back to us within 30 days. I will have Pauline give you a call for that card number tomorrow morning. This pump will ship out tomorrow.
Please get back to me with that information and sorry for the inconvenience this has caused. Thanks,
Beth Franklin
ReeFlo Inc.

That's nice of them! :) Maybe they should call the people that have been bending me over backwards the last 2 weeks over that part for my car and teach them how to deal with people correctly!

Yea, I've been lucky, the chiller people have sent me two replacements, no cost & now the pump people are doing the same, just because I think It may be too loud! LOL
It may be that the motor is problematic although it runs like mad, it may run quieter, I would like it dead silent but doubtful that it will be any better.

Yea, I've been lucky, the chiller people have sent me two replacements, no cost & now the pump people are doing the same, just because I think It may be too loud! LOL
It may be that the motor is problematic although it runs like mad, it may run quieter, I would like it dead silent but doubtful that it will be any better.

Just turn up the tv or turn down your hearing aid.:) I sure like the way they deal with returns at least your not without.

Don

Hey Scootie,

I know I'm not as social on the boards. But, I do come by all the time to look at everyones progress.

Looks great man! I drop by again when I have time.

No updates lately, I've had order problems with parts for my ATO & control panel I'm building & also I've been hog tied busy lately, I need a break LOL! I'm still holding off on getting the lighting as I research a few things, the only one thing I do know I want is to use the reflux 10k lamps for the MH. If I supplement at all it will probably be with LED strips, probably two blue or one white & one blue for the pre-dawn & night lights & maybe even, not sure If I'll do the T5's but If so that will be later & used as part of the lighting sequence. So far the sequence would be early dawn white LED's, then T5 super whites like one then hour later two, then later one mh, then hour later two mh & off with the T5's but on with actinics. This would then reverse until I get to the dusk LED's & later maybe moon lights at times or on a lunar timer. My thinking is light intensity would slowly ramp up till mid day & then slowly ramp down late in the afternoon until dark again. Somehow my intentions would be to create a full day cycle without just switching it to full brightness to full darkness like on standard timers. Also at any given time the power consumption would never be higher than mid-day MH's at full brightness, otherwise the rest would be low powered lighting just for simulation purposes.

Ok no real progress just some babble:)
I'm writhing or calling different manufactures about ballast now so I need to get information on these electronic ballast before deciding on what I want to buy. I think regardless It will be a toss up & may be a buy & try type thing & hope they do what I need them to do, my choice right now is the Coral-vue dimmable ballast but I'm waiting for more information on them.

Well short update, the ATO is on hold until I can regroup, long story short I almost got hosed from an e-bayer but after almost two months & got refunded money. Not what I had planned & I'll continue with the build eventually but for now It will wait. I do have good news, I have two Icecap ballast on the way & two reeflux 250W mh lamps & LIII Minni's, I'll get the lights in & start selecting a few choice corals, my long term plan is sps & It will be that but not like most, I will keep a sparse tank & let them grow from little puppies:) not going to have a loaded tank, It would hurt too much to loose a large crop after caring for them over several years, If anything would happen like me having to leave during a hurricane or something like that. I do plan on setting up a frag tank & playing around with it as experiments, It will be with the lights I have now & probably a 20g, there are several things I'd like to experiment with.
Ok, by next week I should have a parts list to take some pics. Also If I have enough cash left over later I'd like to get a new camera, It would be nice to really show what I have.

Hey Scooty, how is that tank treating you? Have you noticed any crazing on any of the joints? I wouldn't expect any yet, just curious. It is looking good brother!

Hey Scooty, how is that tank treating you? Have you noticed any crazing on any of the joints? I wouldn't expect any yet, just curious. It is looking good brother!

Hey Tom, tank is still looking New:D I hope I don't have to deal with crazing for some time. I'm very happy with the tank so far, you couldn't ask for better IMO :cool:

Thanks for the update Scooter. Nice light setup and i look forward to pictures of the build. You won't be sorry with the reeflux. My tank has completely changed with them ;)

Well late last night (9pm) UPS dropped off two large boxes. :D
I got the Ice-Cap ballast & other parts, food etc & then Reef Exotics order came in a day early with the reflectors & ReeFlux 10K's! I think the Mini LIII's will work just fine on a 4ft by 2ft tank, 2ft deep.
I assembled one & test fired the ballast, each worked flawlessly, the 10K's are a crisp white with a hint of blue. I know the 12k's are a lot bluer but after having a blue tank for almost a year, this will be a nice change & more PAR.
Look for pics soon! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back