Scooties Project "X"

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry to but in but what do you use a pco tank for? At first I though you were talking about a Pico tank :oops:

Ok third time might be a charm:)
This chiller seems to be much quieter (due that the compressor is working properly) & so far has worked great, let time tell but I hope it can go the term & work without more troubles. With this news, I can keep a steadier temp. & go onward. I think the next purchase will either be a 25g round green tank or maybe the 40g tank instead, sorta bigger but I would have plenty of reserve water for when I'm gone.

SSSSSSSounds great Scooty!!! :D Once you get that temp under control the way you want and the chiller proves to be working properly, then it's time for some nice lights!!!! :D

Nice chiller Scooty, I hope this one will work out.

By the way, I love your setup.

Hey Carlos, thanks! I think this chiller is working great:D SO far!

Just an Update!
I have on order a 40g water storage tank for the top off, this should last me a while when gone on trips etc. I will re-plumb a few things & also hope to build a new control panel for the ATO & PLC combining the two to one panel, also I'll replace the cheapy on off switch to a AB industrial switch, It is a cool lighted mushroom head pushbutton & also I Will add a switch for the MBV to manually switch it for testing etc. This project it still huge to go, I still have a list of things to do before I put some sps in there.
1) hammer out the ATO & final plumbing for it.
2) Build a bigger control panel
3) Finish the wood trim for the stand. (wife really wants that done)
4) Set-up the reflectors & hanger system.
5) install ballast & wiring for the basic MH lights.
6) eventually convert the lighting to a schedule to com on & off sequentially by using the PLC.
7) Add the Moon blue & pre Dawn white LED's to the PLC

humm small list but time consuming LOL

Still spending money!

:|:|

Thought I'd post the new RO/DI storage tank, It holds 40 gallons, this should last a while. I have a Mini Jet inside up to a BH on top & from there to the sump BH. It is controlled by the ATO at the moment but I plan on upgrading that soon.

Oh BTW, yes I plan on hiding all that in Oak, or at least make it look better:D

www.plastic-mart.com

I priced a bunch of places, all was very close in price, this one is 18" round, 43" tall, had a super HD 3/4" BH at the bottom & a 5" manhole, also green to minimize algae & is pressure relived, $100 shipped to the door.

Cool storage tank Scooty! Just needs a bit more rinsing out because the water looks green :p

LOL I rinsed it, used dawn, then rinsed more & more then bleached it then rinsed it more & more then dried it, then rinsed in ro/di several more times then drilled a hole up top for the 1/2" bh & cut a slot through the threads from the cord to go through. One day I may just use the bottom 3/4" & use a solenoid for the unit but this just feels safer to me. I like how it is marked in gallons also:D

Are you concerned with drips or spills with that sitting over your chiller?

Nick

Very nice tank Scooty. How often will you have fill it up?

Depends on several things to cause more or less evaporation. If I run the central A/C then It will evap. More water than letting the room sit at 78/80. Also depends on the time of year as to how much as the cooler it is the more it will Evap. sorta backward but think about what an A/C does, It removes humidity/moisture, so the dry air allows the tank to evap. more efficiently.

Are you concerned with drips or spills with that sitting over your chiller?

Nick

Well the little stand isn't quite complete yet but for the most part the structural part is, I stood on it with the tank of water & can handle more weight, the inside is painted with an oil based external paint several coats which will resist water & I sealed all of the seams at the bottom, so like the big stand It basically is a tub If water falls inside. If you haven't noticed, the chiller has a stainless cover & is vertical, the bottom has like 5 rubber feet off the bottom about an inch. The compressor can actually be put outside, not much to really get damaged, most of the wiring & capacitor is all up top & covered In an internal box. Also I have a huge 30g rubber-maid tub on wheels, I use it to fill with RO/DI & just roll it to the tank & pump it up there, I have a hose clip that fits on the threads of the cap & holds the hose tight while filling, I can actually turn it on & leave LOL, I do need to get a bigger pump like a Mag to exceed the head height, the MJ1200 is pushed to it's limits trying to pump it that high but it does. As mentioned, inside the tank I have a Mini Jet with a 1/2" hose clamped on the outlet, the hose goes to the BH inside. On the outside another 1/2" hose (Black) goes to the BH in the sump, not much to leak really, I have a small air line way up top to allow air to suck back in when topping off, It air brakes the water fast. I probably should take a few Pics of the set-up to get a better idea of what is going on here. I will actually hide all of this with Oak as the rest of the stand, excluding a cut-out for the chiller, It should look nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back