The beast is dead!! long live the Newer Beast??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Well I can fit in it, so that makes it big enough for sure, lol I have a 170 behind it as the sump also, so it will be forgiving. Got to push off the rockwork for the weekend as the shelf rock got stuck in transit, but I will tear out the sump and do some retro work on it.

Mojo

+1

450 gals is huge!! Just the simple the fact that it looks like he can still use his old stand etc means it's a monster! :eek:

Well I can fit in it, so that makes it big enough for sure, lol I have a 170 behind it as the sump also, so it will be forgiving. Got to push off the rockwork for the weekend as the shelf rock got stuck in transit, but I will tear out the sump and do some retro work on it.

Mojo

IIRC, your L shaped tank (Beast V1.0) was a 750 gallon display tank. By that comparison, Beast V2.0 is smaller, but still a BIG tank. Personally, I like the new tank shape better. I assume it will be easier to manage and plan for aquascaping and flow patterns.

Besides, with Mike getting old and fragile like he is, easier is definately better for him...

Sniper.gif

Snipin' at ya from the grassy knoll........:D

Nick

Besides, with Mike getting old and fragile like he is, easier is definately better for him...

I think your looking for a "Occupy Nicks House" demonstration???? Just picture a bunch of OFR's marching through your living room???? lol

Mojo

You dont wanna occupy my house....

Wife and dogs are mean, and my system's not as nice as yours will be.
I'm cranky and usually armed...and my secret weapon:

Our two kids are a hybrid of Puerto Rican & Irish....all hostile, all the time...

Zuccotti park is safer....(not nearly as clean, but probably safer).

Nick

Ok little update. While I am waiting for the last of the rock I decided to look around the fish room and see how things were looking, so I take a peek at my sump and its bowed like 2.5 inches in the middle all the baffles have broken off and its kind of warping up the sides????

IMG_20111105_113122.jpg

So I ripped it out and with the good graces of my buddy Peppie, we brought it to his shop. We decided to just reenforced the corners with some triangles and then scribed in some new baffles.
IMG_20111105_1133401.jpg

Peppie making some snow
IMG_20111105_113346.jpg

and then gluing them in.
IMG_20111106_095731.jpg

mojo

Nice stuff Mojo. Dave definitely has the knack for "just do it" when it comes to these projects. I think our tank might still be sitting in the garage if it weren't for his generosity in time, tools and ability.

You know Mojo I get royalties every time a pic of me is posted on this sight.
I thought you took some pics of the reactor also. Or is your design Top Secret ?

This is my Mojo look alike pic
110_2186.jpg

Should have the sump all patched up by this weekend

You know Mojo I get royalties every time a pic of me is posted on this sight.
I thought you took some pics of the reactor also. Or is your design Top Secret ?

This is my Mojo look alike pic
110_2186.jpg

Should have the sump all patched up by this weekend

snow came early this year

Now thats dedication Dave!!!

Yea Kev I just never know when enough is enough I guess, lol

No I still got the pictures, I was going to start an other thread for it. I dont want to admit how long it took me to figure out how to get the pics off my phone, lol

Mojo

Ok so we finely started on the rockwork, so not much talking just lots of pics. Big thanks to Matt, Dave, and Eric for coming over and helping me make it happen.

Gathered up some of the tools of the trade.
0026.JPG

0015.JPG

Time for some cutting!!

0044.JPG

0052.JPG

Not sure why we started with an arch but we had to get the creative stuff out of the way, lol
0062.JPG

Ok time for some walls

0082.JPG

Caulking some of the flats

009.JPG

0103.JPG

drilling for some zipties

0111.JPG

and then trying to find the hole you just drilled

012.JPG

then snugging them tight

0141.JPG

Very nice looking so far. Do you plan on using the hydraulic cement on the rockwork structures? Use that to join two rocks and make formations?

Cheers,
Alex

Only about half of the tank done Tony, that I tried for a picture but for some reason I am having issues??

Alex thats the plan, along with some pond foam (which is working real good) and then silicone for the flat back pieces.

Mojo

The pics dont do those rocks (boulders) Justis. I could barely grip up my coffee mug the next day!!!
Wait till you guys, and gals see his 80lbs+ Bosnia (sp)

Mike,
What kind of caulk did you use on the rocks to get them attached to the overflow/tank walls?

Nick

Back