Urgent Lighting question Please help fast

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

You got 1 400w mh for a tank that is 18 or 24.5 inches deep? I think we need to discuss this. Can you please list what you have as for as equipment & what are your intentions with this tank, etc type of corals, fish, sorry I'm on meds. so I didn't re-read everything because it seems like your plans may of changed slightly, we want to help you the best we can so I must ask that you give this some though, lets plan this upfront & it will help give you better direction to get what you want or even better.
I just purchased a 58 show tank from Oceanic, 36" Long. 19" Wide & 21 inches tall, it is beautiful man, I will take pictures & post them in my tank thread as soon as I can move around better, I paid $119 NEW WITH A 5 YEAR WARRANTY! Now get this, if you specify that all you want is the tank, no hood, equipment nothing but glass box, it is super cheaper for any tank. I will loose the warranty because I'm making it a sump, I'll drill it & I'll use my own stand not theres, but I figure any tank with a standard warranty is a very well made tank. They want you to put the tank on a level & solid stand which is very important, so that is why the insist on their stands. So lets talk while I'm down & have time, take your time & explain to me your goals & I'll try & help with as much information I can, then we'll let Krish jump in:)

Well I want to keep all types of coral, mostly sps and lps and Zoa's

fish I have helfrichi firefish, black reidi seahorse, and lubbocks fairy wrasse.
want to ass one more helfrichi Fire, and a yellow reidi sea horse maybe a hi fin shrimp goby

inverts 3 peppermint shrimp 3 camelback shrimp and clean up crew
if add shrimp goby want to get a small barber pole pistol

I have both tanks, a Sump (live rock) and a refugium in sump) and have a Predator Skimmer. Kalkwasser mix with a kangroo dosing pump, and a phosphate reactor.

Hmm.....I am having a hard time following this thread :eek: but hell I'm on meds myself :cool: 5,6,7 or 8 back operations will do that to a guy ;)

I am jsut asking will that light be ok? I know it will be hotttttttttt so I am having fans installed in the canopy (BIG FANS) thanks to Class Clowns Idea with using bathroom fans in the canopy I will be doing that.

JR

To answer your question in direct, you must be careful not to put everything into shock by just turning on that lamp. There are several ideas how a acclimated to new lighting, some people suggest screens to reduce light penetration others say lower your stock as far down as you can in the tank, & also shorten the lighting period. Yes keep it cool and be very careful not to overdo it, I would do a combinations of these to make sure your not cranking out too much all at once. One thing you can do is look at your lamp par & ballast combination, some combinations produce a ton more output than others, so start off slowly, and watch your tank closely, temps etc. Personally I think in a shallow tank it is too much but in a tall hood & careful eye I think you could prevent from damage until you can get something better or different or a bigger tank one day:) that is always my favorite LOL Maybe we can get some others that tried something like this to also chime in, In my Opinion, be careful.

PS yes I had wisdom teeth removed today, little painful but ok.

Two 250 watters are easier wot work with than one 400 watter, also I think your missing the reasoning behind getting two 250's over one 400 watter. On a 36" tank one 400 watter wound shove all that power in approximately a 24" x 24" square in your tank, leaving spots with minimal lighting or shadows. Also you don't need that much power to penetrate the depths of your tank, 250 w will do a 24: deep tank well. Now on a 44 corner, you still need to consider depth, & area, so not necessary 400w is good for that either. If your wanting to keep sps & other corals you can do it this way but planning to put the sps under the mh light & spread out the other lower light needing corals outward from the point source light. You can supplement a tank & use only one mh & design the supplemental lighting to cover whatever isn't lit enough.

Doubt it, but it would be a start..

Sorry man. Don't want to be a downer but a single 400 is going to be to much IMO. I know it's free but sometimes free isn't always the best. I've gotten free stuff only later to wish I had just spent the money and bought something else.

I think so.. Again that's just my opinon.. How deep is the corner? You might be better off with a single 250.. The concern is the 400 is to much light for the depth of the tank.

Just for prosepctive.. I have a 18" deep 75g with 2-175's on it. I also suppliment with 4-VHO attnics for color.

Well I would be supplementing with 55-65 w PC's
I am not positive how deep I will find out tomorrow from guy I am geting from. I just want there to be enough light around tank

pc's only be on for dawn and dusk pretty much

JR

Depending on the canopy you might be hard pressed for space. Depending on the depth I would go with a single 250. and then suppliment with the PC's.

Back