DaCube Jr...Aquapod 24

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I love your fish! Both the lionfish and the mandarin are awesome. Beautiful corals too, of course. :D

Did you have to train your mandarin to eat other food? How was that?

I love your fish! Both the lionfish and the mandarin are awesome. Beautiful corals too, of course. :D

Did you have to train your mandarin to eat other food? How was that?

He was eating mysis at the LFS, just got him yesturday and last pm he was eating mysis like a champ:cool:

Awesome! What LFS did you buy from?

Indoor Reef, that was the last one they had though. I woud check with one of the LFS closer to you, but make sure they have it for at least a few weeks and that it is taking frozen foods. Most stores will hold it for you and make sure it is eating before you take it home (read reputable LFS);)

i love it Todd. very nice setup.
what is the lighting of that setup?

Its the 150MH setup, the bulb is the one that came with it, I will probably change that out soon. I'm seeing some interesting changes in my coral colors though so I may hold off for a bit before I switch bulbs.

Worst part was that I didn't even loose power, I was just trying to help a fellow reefer, but it was too late for most of his stuff. I just wish I had gotten to him sooner so I could have saved all his stuff and not caused any problems with my livestock. The losses were only a small part in the whole decision to go smaller though, I really just don't have he time right now, and taking a little break without getting completely out was very appealing:)

Arrrghh!!!! The pain, the pain!! Come on pour more salt in the wound. J/K!
Yeah he was trying to save my livestock and ended up losing it all!:cry: I was quite unhappy about the whole thing.......he did save most of my corals though.:) But it sucked he lost his livestock......i am happy he didn't lose the little fuzzy, i would've been wayyyyyy heartbroke!

Arrrghh!!!! The pain, the pain!! Come on pour more salt in the wound. J/K!
Yeah he was trying to save my livestock and ended up losing it all!:cry: I was quite unhappy about the whole thing.......he did save most of my corals though.:) But it sucked he lost his livestock......i am happy he didn't lose the little fuzzy, i would've been wayyyyyy heartbroke!

Hey now, don't feel bad, it's all part of Reefing, gotta help out your fellow reefers no matter what:D Fuzzy is doing great! I may need to get rid of the sixline sooner than later though, he is going crazy in there.

Where did you get that lion?
Someone on RC has a yellow one too.

They are actually pretty rare...in an article about lionfish: The rare yellow form of a dwarf fuzzy lionfish. According to Michaels, this color morph is located in one central location: the straits of Lembah. This fish commanded a $350 USD price tag. Photo by Frank Marini.

I got mine at a LFS, they got very lucky and received it on a regular shipment (read they did not pay any extra for it) so I picked it up much cheaper than the aforementioned price:D They are still fairly rare these days as they ar not allowed to fish in he Straits of Lembah, so they ony show up when they venture out into the open waters.

I did a little search...

http://www.thefishdepot.com/marine-...arf-lionfish---dendrochirus-brachypterus.html

However, you just never know how much yellow these guys will have. I have heard that a lot of them with just some yellow (less than 50%) will loose their color and go red or brown.:doubt: Mine has stayed very yellow so far...fingers crossed.

If those stay mostly yellow that would be great, and what a great price! Good luck!

Last edited:
Very nice setup, I just won one of those tanks in our club's annual raffle. I have very similar visions with mine, including a dwarf lionfish. Good to know the tunze nano skimmer fits the overflow area so nicely very clean looking back there.

Once again looks GREAT!!

Very nice setup, I just won one of those tanks in our club's annual raffle. I have very similar visions with mine, including a dwarf lionfish. Good to know the tunze nano skimmer fits the overflow area so nicely very clean looking back there.

Once again looks GREAT!!
Thanx for the complement:)
Good luck with your nano, post a link to your thread here when you are ready to get it started.

Some updates...
Replaced the stock crap light with Pheonix 14K.
Changed out the Fluval 405 for a new Fluval FX, I will be starting a new thread on this filter soon (using it to feed my chiller and add flow to the tank).
Went to see Salmonslayer today for a frag of purple monti and walked away with a box full of some premium frags:D Huge thanks to salmonslayer for bringing me back to the SPS world again:D

DSC_4765Medium.jpg

Here is the new Fluval FX5, I will be posting more about this later...I am testing it out for Indoor Reef:)
DSC_4763Medium.jpg

Last edited:
NICE JOB, man thats great and your welcome. Had a good time with you and rick, lots of lol. Hope everything grows like mad and ya come on by and catch some pods I have more than enough. Talk to ya soon. Chow

SWEET LIGHTING
Can you use a cannister instead of a sump for extra water? I am afraid with a sump I will overflow the darn house!!!!! Or would it make a difference? I mean could I still flood the place?

Thanks in advance for your answers

Back