DaCube Jr...Aquapod 24

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SWEET LIGHTING
Can you use a cannister instead of a sump for extra water? I am afraid with a sump I will overflow the darn house!!!!! Or would it make a difference? I mean could I still flood the place?

Thanks in advance for your answers

I was using a Fluval 405 to feed my chiller and give a bit more flow, but this new filter is almost too much. The Pacific Coast chiller needs 500+ so I wanted a more powerful filter, nice for flow, plus the ability to add carbon as needed. I do have the stock sponge on the filter which I will be cleaning every few days.

SWEET LIGHTING
Can you use a cannister instead of a sump for extra water? I am afraid with a sump I will overflow the darn house!!!!! Or would it make a difference? I mean could I still flood the place?

Thanks in advance for your answers

As for adding more water to the system, well this unit is a monster...holds more than 5 gal of water but that really isn't very much compaired to a sump. How big is the tank your looking to add volume to? The only reason I am using a cannister filter is to feed my chiller filtered water and add flow to the aquapod, and it is doing a good job for that. Using the cannister filter allows me to throw on some carbon or run phosban/rowaphos as needed.

Last edited:
It is a 55 gal. what someone refered to as a mono tank. I inhereted it 12 years ago and it was at least 7 years old then. It has a 3 stage section in the back built in with a mini-sump in the middle(it used to have a trickle or drip tray in there but I got rid of that) so I have just that and the extra water in my cpr(modified)bakpak and it is hard to fit carbon, the heater, the in and outs of the skimmer all in that small area but I am still way to inexperienced to have a sump that I set up LOL. That is why I was asking 5 gal. would maybe help alot if I could put carbon in there and sometimes some sort of phosphate remover pad. What do you think?

Thanks in advance,

It is a 55 gal. what someone refered to as a mono tank. I inhereted it 12 years ago and it was at least 7 years old then. It has a 3 stage section in the back built in with a mini-sump in the middle(it used to have a trickle or drip tray in there but I got rid of that) so I have just that and the extra water in my cpr(modified)bakpak and it is hard to fit carbon, the heater, the in and outs of the skimmer all in that small area but I am still way to inexperienced to have a sump that I set up LOL. That is why I was asking 5 gal. would maybe help alot if I could put carbon in there and sometimes some sort of phosphate remover pad. What do you think?

Thanks in advance,

So far I'm really impressed with the Fluval FX5 for flow and being able to run carbon or phosphate remover when needed. However, I did try to hook it up to my chiller today (had a fluval 405 running prior) and it was a complete flop. So I hooked up the fluval 405 again (running just fine) and I'm keeping the fluval FX5 as a carbon or phosphate remover filter. I think for my situation with the nano and yours with a tank you don't want to run a sump off of it will work quite nicely, lots of people would disagree on the cannister filters but I have used them for chillers before and as long as you keep up the cleaning of the sponges its all good.

Went to see Salmonslayer today for a frag of purple monti and walked away with a box full of some premium frags:D Huge thanks to salmonslayer for bringing me back to the SPS world again:D

Hey Todd
Since you've gone back to the land of "STONE" don't forget where you can throw those softies!!!! :D :D :D Need to have you and Tracy over for some ideas on the 300g. Good meeting you.
Rick

Went to see Salmonslayer today for a frag of purple monti and walked away with a box full of some premium frags:D Huge thanks to salmonslayer for bringing me back to the SPS world again:D

Hey Todd
Since you've gone back to the land of "STONE" don't forget where you can throw those softies!!!! :D :D :D Need to have you and Tracy over for some ideas on the 300g. Good meeting you.
Rick

Pleasure meeting you as well. The closest I've been to softies lately are some LPS (frogspawn and canycane) and some zoos...those softies are weeds don't ya know:lol:
I would be happy to come see your setup and try to brainstorm for some ideas on the 300g.

Nice, I would like to see how it looks once you get it all set up. I want to get something hooked up to my little aquapod.

The float switch is great!!!! It's compact, simple, really affordable and has two float swithes. How do you spell REEEEDUNNNNNNNDANT!! You ever notice how Don builds backups into everthing he designs? Can't wait till the keyhole and twistlock flanges come out. Thanks again for throwing me that direction. OK Todd, what do you know about peristaltic pumps? :D :D :D

The float switch is great!!!! It's compact, simple, really affordable and has two float swithes. How do you spell REEEEDUNNNNNNNDANT!! You ever notice how Don builds backups into everthing he designs? Can't wait till the keyhole and twistlock flanges come out. Thanks again for throwing me that direction. OK Todd, what do you know about peristaltic pumps? :D :D :D

What kind of information are you looking for on paristaltic pumps?

Back