Gimmito 450 gal L-shaped display

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Nice, I like both of those fish. :) Ah, there are so many fish to chose from and so little water to put them in.

I'm hoping to get 40-50 small to medium size fish in there (anthias, wrasses, harem of Pygmy angels, cardinals, & school of tangs). The ones I really want to try is a gold flake angel, blue face angel, & blue throat trigger.

Some of the new species of anthias making it to the market are pretty cool and the prices aren't too bad. They make great dither fish, but need frequent feeding. I'm think of setting up a doser eventually to feed 2-3 times a day. Another trick I heard from the Smithsonian was to have a bunch of peppermint shrimp in a fuge so they will breed and their larvae will feed the main display.

On a side note, the order I introduce these guys and stocking medication is something I'm giving alot of thought.

Last edited:
Yeah, the anthias are definitely colorful. I wouldn't mind having some but the ones I've seen and like cost an arm and a leg. Having to feed them 3 times a day would be difficult for me as well at the moment. Good idea with the peppermint shrimp. I tried to do the same thing in my 180 but they disappeared fairly quickly. I'll have to look at making a fuge. :)

I know some of the deep water anthias can get rather pricey. I believe the borbonous anthias (spotted anthias) still fetch $75-$100 and a school will cost you a pretty penny. If you train the anthias (while in QT) to eat a high quality pellet food (such as spectrum), you can use a automated feeder to feed them a couple of times a day.

I know some of the deep water anthias can get rather pricey. I believe the borbonous anthias (spotted anthias) still fetch $75-$100 and a school will cost you a pretty penny. If you train the anthias (while in QT) to eat a high quality pellet food (such as spectrum), you can use a automated feeder to feed them a couple of times a day.

What kind of fish so you have in your 180 ?

2cb4ed66.jpg

697a6b24.jpg

I had a few hours to work on some plumbing. I added some tru unions to the drains (for further ease of disassembly) and finished the durso drains.

I wanted to fire up the water blaster, but I have a small leak where the bulkhead is in the sump. I'm going to have Gen patch it or I'll swing by Tap plastics and pick up a scrap and glue it myself.

What kind of fish so you have in your 180 ?

That's a good idea. Right now I have 3 occellaris, a blue tang, a 6 line, a Christmas wrasse, a yellow tail damsel, 2 green chromis', and a ywg I moved from my BioCube 14 but I haven’t' seen him in over a week so I'm thinking the worst. I also have a cleaner shrimp and a coral banded shrimp and some snails. I'm looking at transferring a yellow tang, a blue tang, a yellow tail damsel, 3 convict damsels, a maroon clown, and a pencil urchin into the 180 in the near future from my 125. I need to shut it down for now. It was an emergency buy, a friend's parent's house was being foreclosed on and they couldn't keep the 125 and none of the lfs wanted it and they didn't have time to sell it. So, I bought the set up from them and then had to go home and tell the wife. Surprisingly she didn't kill me. LOL. That will pretty well max out my 180 as far as fish go. It will probably be awhile before I can consider getting anthias for a while.

You got keeper if your wife let's you keep a 180 & a 125. Sounds like a nice mix of fish. :)

That's a good idea. Right now I have 3 occellaris, a blue tang, a 6 line, a Christmas wrasse, a yellow tail damsel, 2 green chromis', and a ywg I moved from my BioCube 14 but I haven’t' seen him in over a week so I'm thinking the worst. I also have a cleaner shrimp and a coral banded shrimp and some snails. I'm looking at transferring a yellow tang, a blue tang, a yellow tail damsel, 3 convict damsels, a maroon clown, and a pencil urchin into the 180 in the near future from my 125. I need to shut it down for now. It was an emergency buy, a friend's parent's house was being foreclosed on and they couldn't keep the 125 and none of the lfs wanted it and they didn't have time to sell it. So, I bought the set up from them and then had to go home and tell the wife. Surprisingly she didn't kill me. LOL. That will pretty well max out my 180 as far as fish go. It will probably be awhile before I can consider getting anthias for a while.

Back