Gimmito 450 gal L-shaped display

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

6930cf9a.jpg

Restocking the medicine cabinet.

51ffac89.jpg

The first time recharging my Kati Ani resins. The Kati resins use a diluted mixture of muriatic acid and is slowly dripped for 30-45 minutes via a carboy. The Ani resins use a diluted mixture of sodium hydroxide and is slow dripped the same way. The resins are then flushed until zero TDS is achieved.

05be22b2.jpg

c294f39e.jpg

Some new additions: :D

Sex You Up chalice
Pokerstar
Bali green slimer
Leng Sy cap
Pink setosa
Sunset monti
Blue Idaho tort
Green acro

Last edited:
cbdc35eb.jpg

Update on the 40 gal fuge. I added 2" of Carib Sea Eco Complete Substrate and another couple bags of live sand (total of 5"). Scott Fellman recommended Gulf Coast Ecosystem for seagrass and I'm thinking of trying shoal grass (Halodule Wrightii) and some type of red macroalgae for contrast. Russ at GCE is great to work with an extremely knowledgable. I also picked up a slightly used Aquatic Life 4x39 HO T5 fixture and will use a mp10 for flow.

5304fa01.jpg

Ed at Aquarium Currents updated the motors for my Sea Swirls. It's capable if much more flow now and is whisper quite. Ed also sent me some 1 1/4" couplers that enables the Sea Swirls to sit lower in the water without the need of loclines.

That's awesome Jim. I love your set up. I think I'm going to have to steal some of your ideas and incorporate them into my 180. I'll be breaking it down soon so I can cook the heck out of the rock and while the tank is down do some mods to it. How much does your return pump push?

I like the black tubing you are using for the connections. Is this something special? I am still in the enchantment period with spa flex and look forward to learning about other ways to use money to move water.

LOL. The black vinyl tubing was purchased at a irrigation store called Urban Farmer. I would have preferred black spa flex, but some of the fitting didn't quite fit it.

You're on RA aren't you ? I need to post some new videos on there.

Hi Rhodes,

That's what these threads are for, to pick ideas for our own builds. The water blaster HY-16000 pushes around 4,300 gph. Give Mike at Aquarium Supplies, Equipment, Protein Skimmers, Reef Lighting Accesories a shout. Ask for a discount coupon by the way (plus he gives free shipping over $175).

Why are you breaking down the tank ? Some kind of outbreak ?

Cool beans. Thanks for the info. I've talked with Mike before. I got my BB 3000 from him. I'll ask for a discount coupon next time. :)

I'm breaking the 180 down because I'm tired of fighting algae, particularly bryopsis. I had a nice long talk with Mojo and Frankie and come to the conclusion that my live rock is packed with nutrients and the algae has set up its own environment so no mater what I do to improve my water quality, it won't work. Soooo, I'm pulling out all my live rock (might as well add the lr from the 125 as well), dipping, soaking them in a strong bleach solution to kill everything on the out side, them put them in a darkened container, crank up the heat and cook the heck out of them for 6-8 weeks. That is supposed to allow the bacteria to eat up all the nutrients locked up in the rock, poop it all out and then I'll have nice clean rock. While I have the tank broken down, I'm going to add some mods to it. Mostly plumbing and sump stuff.

LOL!!! Me too. :) I'm planning on starting a thread on it once I get it started. I already have a 40 g up and running for my corals I just need to make a frag rack for it. I have most of the parts but I still need some pvc connectors. I'll get them this weekend. I've started pulling some of the lr out of the 125 and I'll be replacing it with some of my diy rock. I figure if we're cooking some rock, might as well cook all of it. When we're ready to pull the lr, I'll move the fish from the 180 and put them into the 125. When the 180 is back up and running, I'll move all the fish (including the original inhabitants of the 125) back to the 180. This should be an adventure and a learning experience. :)

Back