Gimmito 450 gal L-shaped display

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

yah they can be greedy little bastages sometimes. Dude your rock is already coloring out nicely. i couldnt get the marco rocks i used last time to color out at all, just turned green lol. then again i didn't take good enough care of that tank.

Any plans to add more lighting or upgrade at all ? thinking 3 250w alone on such a large tank might be a little underpowered for SPS growth but i could be wrong :)

Hey Darth,

Thanks for the compliment. Coraline algae is blessing and a curse (scraping it of the acrylic can be a chore).
Regarding the lights, the ballasts are selectable 250 or 400, so I can bump it up if necessary. I originally planned for 5 reflectors, so I do have another light rack and a couple of reflectors ready to go if I ever need more light.

Yes...that's a good idea. :)

At a suggestion of a friend, I tilted the light right about 5 degrees inward. this accomplished two things, more light in the tank and less algae growth on the front acrylic.

cool. yah i would wait just a tad longer before upping the light anyways. let the rock mature a little more :) then again u have a bunch of tangs going in right ?

fd1c9223.jpg

Picked of a pair of Tiger gobies from the Live Aquaria group buy Patrick put together. The gobies seem to have paired up nicely and are kicking it in my fuge until they are ready to go in the main display.

be7eab31.jpg

d8292fca.jpg

06e50351.jpg

Ed of Aquarium Currents (makers of the Sea Swirl) was kind enough to give me a prototype called the Sea Sweep to try out. It is similiar to the Sea Swirl, but enables you to attatch a Tunze, Controllable Tunze, or Korallia powerhead. Imagine your Tunze or Korallia on steroids !

You can adjust the depth of the Sea Sweep in the tank via the riser tube (which can be cut) and the electrical plug is fished through the tube also...great design feature.

The Sea Sweep should be available in April.

Stay tuned for a video.

wow. what a great tank or should say many tank builds all in one. you have a very nice set up. i am in the middle of a 360 gallon tank build. lots of work up all worth it. keep posting pictures. love your tanks. chad

yes i can. i just took down a 125 gallon tank and a frag tank to put up my 360 gallon tank. i took all of my live rock out of all three tanks to kill off and start fresh. it was really hard to break down my 150 gallon tank. so know my 150 gallon tank looks like a frag tank. no rock in it. frag racks full of sps, and lps coral everywhere. i will need as much live rock to put in the 360 gallon. lots of labor but worth it all.

Thanks Lorrie,

I think it's either a gorilla or stone crab. Either way...I heard it's not reef safe and on the eviction list !

Last edited:
I received some news from Ed regarding the Sea Sweep. The economy model will be $199 and the deluxe model will be $249. The difference is the economy model uses the same motor as the 1" Sea Swirl and the deluxe model uses the same motor as the 1 1/2" model. Having used the deluxe model, I can tell you it's much more stronger and very quite. Well worth the extra 50 bucks IMO.

The Sea Sweep will come out some time in May and can be ordered directly from Aquarium Currents for this special introductory price.

Back