Gimmito 450 gal L-shaped display

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Here's a pic of the truvu 30 gal I'm going to use as a quarantine tank. I'm thinking of painting the sides black as well to better acclimate the fish...Any thoughts ?

photo-2.jpg

Gen came over and finished installing the background and overflow covers via magnets and velcro. I have a buddy in the car painting business who will paint the top and bottom of the background acrylic black. This way you won't notice the 4 vortechs as much. I also will put a led in the middle to simulate more depth. A little trick the steinhart aquarium uses in their aquariums. ')

photo-4.jpg

Thanks Sarang...little by little.

How's your 270 coming along ?

How are you liking those vortechs ?

Yeah take your time and do it right.

The 270 is doing fantastic! Here is a link to the thread.
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49254

I love the Vortechs!!! I took one out though. I was playing around with my flow. I turned off one of the vortechs on the back left corner of my tank and noticed I was getting better flow. I think the flow from the Vortech was clashing too much with the Tunze I have modded on the WS and in turn impeding the flow a bit.

A few things I picked up from Marine Depot:

-(4) 1 1/2" heavy duty bulkheads for the overflows (I can't believe how big those things are).

-Small AccliMate (used it to pick up a magenta dottyback & sixline wrasse from a buddy and acclimation was a breeze...highly recommend it !).

-Eheim 600 pump (for the 2 phosban reactors in the frag tank sump).

-bottle of prime (always good to have around).

-pisces pro acclimator (makes having to uses your mouth to start a siphon a thing of the past).

-Kold Sterile replacement cartridges (for my Kold Filter system...I'm thinking of adding a Kani-Ani system down the line).

photo-5.jpg

you wrote

I was wondering how that is set up.

Since the blue back ground is semi opaque, I can put a small led fixture in the middle (behind the background). It really works with the atinics or moonlights on. It's like when you go scuba diving and you see the light from the sun shining through. My aquascaping will be a canyon effect as opposed to a rock wall effect.

Hope that makes sense.

Since the blue back ground is semi opaque, I can put a small led fixture in the middle (behind the background). It really works with the atinics or moonlights on. It's like when you go scuba diving and you see the light from the sun shining through. My aquascaping will be a canyon effect as opposed to a rock wall effect.

Hope that makes sense.

Defintley looking forward to seeing this. DO you have any examples?

That looks awesome!! I've always liked black backgrounds but I think you may have just changed my mind. Will you be painting the Vortechs blue to match?:D

That looks awesome!! I've always liked black backgrounds but I think you may have just changed my mind. Will you be painting the Vortechs blue to match?:D

Actually just the opposite. I have a friend in the car painting business. He's going to fade in the black paint on top and on the bottom. This way the middle will be blue and the vortechs will blend in to te background. ;)

Hey man nice looking setup. So which LFS would you recondmend down in the bay area im gonna be moving to south san jose here in january and want to start back up. Also the guy who made your tank was he fairly priced, ive been googling and searching for someone that does custom tanks. Also do u have the link for the bay area reefers i might want to get on that site now that ill be down there.

Hey man nice looking setup. So which LFS would you recondmend down in the bay area im gonna be moving to south san jose here in january and want to start back up. Also the guy who made your tank was he fairly priced, ive been googling and searching for someone that does custom tanks. Also do u have the link for the bay area reefers i might want to get on that site now that ill be down there.

Hey Slim,

Welcome to the bay area ! I'm in Millbrae where SFO is. Since you're moving to San Jose, checkout Max at Aquarium Showroom in San Jose and Aquatic Gallery over in near by Milpitas.

You can checkout BARS at www.Bayareareefers.org.

[email protected] was reasonable for a custom tank of that size. How big were you thinking of going ?

Jim

Last edited:
Back