My new "cube"

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Todd,
Dont be too upset if the clam decides it likes somewhere else better. Mine have....every single one I've ever had....
Tank looks great. So does that new coral!

Nick

Thanks Nick,
I have heard that about the clams, hope my spot will be a favorable one. Still going to wait a bit for the clam though, want to learn a little more about them so I can be a well informed keeper ;) Now that things have stabilized it's time to start filling in some of those open spots all over the LR :D

Wow! Great info Nick :exclaim:
I quickly made PDF's out of all those articles for future reference.
Thanks for the help :exclaim: :exclaim:

No problem, glad I could help out. Those are older articles, but most of the them are from Daniel Knop, who is pretty much one of the most knowledgable experts on clams.
Another one is Barry from clams direct. Check out his forum on the the website. Nikki had an issue with her Crocea clams that she was able to identify as "Pinched Mantle" from his forums and treated the clams successfully. Shortly after she posted up pics about it, I noticed mine going through it also...so i treated mine as well. So Barry's website is also a good resource...

Nick

barry will be here to speak this month. that is what they are talking about. We always get great speakers here in the NW.

Yeah,
I pretty much hate you guys for that.....

Nick

So my evap had been increasing pretty steadily over the last week or so but I didn't think anything about it since we were having some good weather. Then I went in this past Thursday to get more DI and Chris (Indoor Reef) asked how my salinity was? It had been pretty steady so I thought nothing of it, later that evening I checked the probe on my salinity monitor and it was encrusted with coralline, so I cleaned it up and checked the calibration...it was off by a bit more that I was comfortable with...so I recalibrated and checked the tank, too low. So that night I slowly increased the salinity with salt water top off and some additional salt in the sump. Still wasn't quite getting into my thick skull...next day at work I called Indoor Reef and asked Chris why the salinty question..."you have a leak" "check your sump area" Ahhhhhhhhh! He was so right! It had probably been leaking for at least a week, and when I just barely moved the sump looking for the source it gave way and sarted poring out.

Luckily I had the foresight to lay down plastic under the sump area before I put it in or I would have had a much larger mess on my hands. Moral of the story...don't use those cheap rubbermaid containers, stock tanks yes, but not the standard roughneck containers so many of us are using. After checking around a bit I heard too many simular stories about them eventually failing around the "feet" that is exactly where mine failed. So the next step was to acquire a real tank, i knew of someone that just got a 75 acrylic and wasn't sure what his plans were with it, got a hold of him up and he said it should make a good sump...sold! Went and got it Saturday and after close inspect at home it was cracked and the seams were split on the bottom, it was patched with silicone, but I really didn't want to take any chances, after what I had already been through. Now the good part, my buddy that was with me (Marine Dreamer) offered his 110g acrylic for a sump...a little larger than what I wanted but I'm not going to look a gift.... So here is the tank in place, just working out the logistics now will get it plumbed tonight. Big thanks to BigT for his help in patching the closed loop holes and making the sump a possibility.

Last edited:
So what are you going to do with all the holes drilled in that soon to bew sump? Man If I wold keep track of just how much water I spilt, leaked etc ofer the past few years, I don't see how everything isn't rotten yet lol!

I know that you can't really tell scoot, but they are already patched w/ 3/8" acrylic on the outside. How is your finger Todd? :D lol. Looks like it will be a winner, when do you plan on getting it online?

Scooterman said:
So what are you going to do with all the holes drilled in that soon to bew sump? Man If I wold keep track of just how much water I spilt, leaked etc ofer the past few years, I don't see how everything isn't rotten yet lol!

BigT took care of those for me, patched 'em all up yesturday...Thanks T!

big t said:
I know that you can't really tell scoot, but they are already patched w/ 3/8" acrylic on the outside. How is your finger Todd? :D lol. Looks like it will be a winner, when do you plan on getting it online?

Tonight! Well at least wet, I don't think I have quite enough water made up yet, will get more tomorrow and get it up to full capacity. Here is a shot of DaBeast for DaCube.

Hey Big T, didn't you know after a while the PBT will also eat your zoos?

LOL ok not but hey you had so much fun catching the Fox~~

Back