Nana's 40B

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I'm not liking running no sock. I can already see detritus collecting in the return/overflow chambers :( Granted it may not be in the tank, but it's harder to remove from the sump.
I need to figure an easy way to remove this stuff or I'm going back to using a sock.

home depot sells a shop vac type thing that sits on top a 5 gallon bucket.... works really well for that, you can even use the crevice attachment things....

Turkey baster. No power needed. Lol
good to c u around here speizak.
Fwiw I dont run socks and I know its not common but sponge in between my baffles seems to work for me... also a dark sump so It can all die off and fall to the sump where I turkey baster it out.
Hths
d

I'm wondering if I'll ever be able to keep SPS of any kind. My new Green Pavona isn't looking to good. Almost 2wks in my tank and today I notice a big reduction in PE. I had it sitting low in the tank for the first week. Moved it up on Monday about 3-4" No other changes., except for the removal of the sock. This is supposed to be a high light needy coral, with moderate, turbulent flow. I'm just bummed :( Today I moved it back down, about 4" above the SB.

I'm not liking running no sock. I can already see detritus collecting in the return/overflow chambers :( Granted it may not be in the tank, but it's harder to remove from the sump.
I need to figure an easy way to remove this stuff or I'm going back to using a sock.

as suggested, a cheap shop vac, or what I do.
I use ( and have used for 20+ years) a python water change hose.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=848

http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Aquar...2&cadevice=c&gclid=CMKWttqZ9MICFUdefgodGbQA3w

Once you find the correct fittings for your faucet it's a breeze.

thanks D.
Nana - is any of the sps you've tried coming from fellow reefers? when i was first trying it in my tank, stuff from other folks was much hardier than the stuff from the stores...i think its just survived more crap, ya know? it was much easier to 'learn' with. (apologize if thats already been covered.)

All my new corals came from a reefer/vendor friend of mine. Don't have a store that sells corals worth buying-lol.

@mfinn-I got a python!! Been using one for 15yrs. Wow!! Talk about brain dead me-omg!!

All my new corals came from a reefer/vendor friend of mine. Don't have a store that sells corals worth buying-lol.

@mfinn-I got a python!! Been using one for 15yrs. Wow!! Talk about brain dead me-omg!!

I actually have different attachments for my python hose that I use plastic quick disconnects with.
One is a filler attachment that hooks over a barrel or tank, that I use to suck the water out with. Another has the gravel vac on it that I can pull the big tube off and use it to suck detritus from my sump.
I also have another filler utube that has a screen over it to use when I'm doing a water change on my qt tank. That one stays back by the qt tank and isn't used for any other purpose.

Well I was gonna do a WC tonight but the salt mix I bought from our LFS is crap! Ugh! Bought a small 25g box to hold me over. Got home only to find it was solid as a brick, with a date of 08/08. Broke it up using a hammer, then stepping on it-lmao-added 3cups to get an SG of 1.025 and after 4hrs of mixing it's very cloudy and still has undissolved salt on the bottom. Needless to say, I'm not using it! Taking it back tomorrow. Hopefully Pet Smart has some.

Last edited:
Well I was gonna do a WC tonight but the salt mix I bought from our LFS is crap! Ugh! Bought a small 25g box to hold me over. Got home only to find it was solid as a brick, with a date of 08/08. Broke it up using a hammer, then stepping on it-lmao-added 3cups to get an SG of 1.025 and after 4hrs of mixing it's very cloudy and still has undissolved salt on the bottom. Needless to say, I'm not using it! Taking it back tomorrow. Hopefully Pet Smart has some.

I usually buy my salt from Dr Foster & Smith or Petsolutions. It is so much cheaper in the long run.

I'm an oceanic in stand ocean simple kinda guy. I'll add or buffer watever I need to. Lately I've used the instant ocean 50th anniversary packages. The salt is individual packaged in plastic and wats disheartening is the yellow residue on the plastic prob from the anmonia used to clean the salt...
I've had murky wcs and usually use it anyway.
D

Well I took it back. Got a couple smaller boxes that weren't bricks-lol. Making it tonight so we'll see.
@mfinn- I always buy from DFS also. $52.00 delivered to my door, can't beat it! :)

Well I took it back. Got a couple smaller boxes that weren't bricks-lol. Making it tonight so we'll see.
@mfinn- I always buy from DFS also. $52.00 delivered to my door, can't beat it! :)

It's good you were able to exchange it.

Before your next salt order, checkout the price at Petsolutions too. Sometimes they have really good sales.
I switched to Kent Marine and DRF&S had it on sale for $38+ ( change) for the 200 gallon box, delivered, just after Thanksgiving.

Ugh!! Just made new water using replacement salt. Same freaking results!! Half the bag was hard as a brick. So I broke it up again and got the same results. After stirring it for 20min this is how it looks. Thats salt on the bottom.
I ordered from DFS already Marty, thanks anyways :)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420247524.082063.jpg

Don't use it!! Actually I should have just gotten 2 tubes of Aquarium silicon Sealant. Didn't use half of the silicon I bought and the gun was a waste of money too as it was to big.
Michelle-is this for sump baffles?

It is for a corner overflow, glass tank, glass overflow. So as you can imagine I really need to get the right stuff, and it needs to have good strength

Back