Nana's 40B

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Night time all you can eat buffet! Yup taking pics at 2:45am of my only large Nasarrius snail finishing off my last Turbo, whom I've had for 3yrs :(
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420789558.457897.jpg

Hmmmmm...don't know what to write as a comment here........ 2:45 am eh? Weird? Couldn't sleep? LOL

Haha thanks for the concern guys. But it's all good. My son isn't exactly quiet when he comes in from work. I wake easily and of course once woken I gotta check on the tank-lol.

I'm running an MP10es and a WP10. One at each end, staggered. MP10 is on Reef Crest, speed about half. WP10 is on H3-S2 turned all the way up. Been working all day trying for some semblance of proper amount of flow. Frustrating part, don't know what the heck I'm doing-lol.

2 things I look for when I'm doing flow in a tank.
First, is the sand staying put, with no change anywhere. Might not be enough flow.
Then, does my softies and lps flow and get full polyp extention? Do they look a little beat up? Might be a little too much.

Ok after messing around with the pumps some more, here's what I found. I've been scared to turn my MP10 up!! Keeping it on Reef Crest I've cranked this little bugger up. On Reef Crest it ramps from very calm to very turbulent and everywhere in between. I just needed a higher speed. Sand is still undisturbed but I'm seeing more detritus floating in the water column.
The WP10 I switched to a constant higher flow. I'll see how this goes. But it looks good :)

Your right Marty :) Now wanna tell me how to empty 5g of water from my sump? Lol Got my Python together, new salt mix arrived and I'm ready to do a WC. But how do I measure correctly using the Python?

Multiply the width and the length of the sump and divide by 231 and that will tell you how many gallons of water are in 1" of your sump.
Mark the water level with the pump off and take as many inches out that you need for 5 gallons.

30"x12"=360 divided by 231=1.5g per inch. Does that sound right? Where does the 231 come from? :)

Be sure to measure on the inside of the sump to get a accurate amount.
May take a little experimenting, but the amount should be right.

The 231 figure is just part of the equation to figure out volume inside a container.

My smaller tank measures on the inside, 29-1/4" x 19-1/4" x 20" = 11261.25 divided by 231 = 48.75 gallons

Someone way smarter than me figured the hard part.

Again thank you Marty. Your very generous with your time and I appreciate it very much. Kudos! :)
Couple random pics taken this morning.
d880184331431b3c1167d301e431acd9.jpg

40873cf7b54c174ced2ed16653bc371f.jpg

Last edited:
Onna side note...it's been 22 days since my last 5g water change and my tank has never looked better. This is the longest I've ever gone without having done one. I'm actually fearful to do one because my sand bed is completely cleared of diatoms, for the first time since setting it up. But I changed sediment/carbon filters and DI resin, hopefully it helps.

You know....my tank goes thru that sometimes. I will go 3-4 weeks without a WC and everything looks great. Then I do a WC and I get a diatom bloom, and droopy coral! What gives!!!

Honestly, I think it's shock. So this time I'll be removing/adding water via my sump. Trying to disturb the DT as little as possible. Hopefully getting a better balance/mixture. I'll keep this updated for results.

Honestly, I think it's shock. So this time I'll be removing/adding water via my sump. Trying to disturb the DT as little as possible. Hopefully getting a better balance/mixture. I'll keep this updated for results.

will be waiting to see how that works for you.

Waits over-UGH!!! Why can't things go the way you need them to? I don't have enough pressure in my tap to draw the water from my sump. I'm so freaking bummed!! No where else to hook it up either. I don't have a pump that the tubing will fit well enough to draw either. Had everything ready too. What's worse is I scraped the inside sump walls. So now all that crap is just sitting in the bottom of the fuge area. Tomorrow I'll just remove water from the DT but add back through the sump area.
Guess I'll be investing in a 5g shop vac. <sigh>

Back