Nana's 40B

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

i've just been 'there' with tanks, and once i finally did what i was resisting, i wondered why i spent so much time fighting it. *shrug*

there is a secondary benefit of pulling it for a 'bit' before replacing it, which is if you end up with the same stuff on the bare bottom, you can just rinse it real well and put it back in, maybe put that tax time cash to better use...

Well I'm removing a bit at a time with each WC. Doubt I'll go totally bare though. I did order a 50g box of IO, gonna try a couple WC with that, see if it makes any difference.
It's crazy how this stuff behaves. I'll rake the entire SB till its purddy white and within 24hrs even sooner it's all back.
It acts like Cyano in that it recedes with lights out. But as soon as lights come on (blues) it begins again. However it looks exactly like diatoms and is neither slimy nor does it clump. It's not in just one area either. It's everywhere on the SB.

Reefing...it's a state of mind.

Nope no bubbles at all. Just light colored rust looking dust.
0aa45d60e3ad34d156d90c8c092d5f3f.jpg

789f9608cc70c9b13f8809559ba2c88a.jpg

And worse still
7b6c54eae3c9084a0e2c36c1f89946f8.jpg

c6e53501878cbc4d8ab0af0625495a4c.jpg

Reefing...it's a state of mind.

Was there a reason you were asking about different lights?
Is there something wrong with the one you have now?

Yes. So far 2 blue diodes have burned out, 1 red diode never turns off and the time runs 15min fast. I've had to remove 9 optics from the center or everything under that area got bleached. I also believe they're losing something spectrum wise.
Oh and still after almost two years I've still no Coralline on my rock at all.
Being dumb last year I traded my old 4x24w T5HO for corals. Most of which I've since lost. I know it wouldn't have covered all of my tank but at least I could have used it to rule out my SB issue being lighting related.
Tax return can't get here fast enough :) So until then I'm a researching fool! Lol

If you do facebook, there is a group buy/proof group for the "cheap" leds here. I joined it when I was looking at lights, just to see feedback
https://www.facebook.com/groups/603511806434292/

If you do facebook, there is a group buy/proof group for the "cheap" leds here. I joined it when I was looking at lights, just to see feedback
https://www.facebook.com/groups/603511806434292/

yeah there is a sb group. Not sure what the sb is.
there also was a black box group too.

I thought that was was the sb group
They put some of those online custom tuned. https://sbreeflights.com/ - they are sending one to raffle at bob moore.

In addition to that picture I posted on my thread that showed a gen 2 over a 36" long tank with sps near the edges, a couple others said it could be done. I'm thinking that at 12" to 13" over your tank a Radion would work.

Could you do 12" -13" over your tank?

In addition to that picture I posted on my thread that showed a gen 2 over a 36" long tank with sps near the edges, a couple others said it could be done. I'm thinking that at 12" to 13" over your tank a Radion would work.

Could you do 12" -13" over your tank?

12-13" not a problem. Thanks for the help guys! :)

I did a 5g WC using new IO mix (been using RC since beginning) and removed a lot of top layer of the SB.
Looked perfect for the first two days. However today I'm beginning to see signs of this "stuffs" return. Not bad...yet. We'll see. Still much better than it was. Usually after a WC with RC this stuff was massive within 24hrs.

I was thinking that if you moved the powerheads down closer to the sand bed. Just to the point of it starting to move, maybe it might help clear it up a little more.

I was getting something similar in my 233, so I moved the MP40 down a little. It moves the sand ever so slightly over the course of the week, so I have to use a tool to smooth out the mounds and push sand back to the bare spots. But only once a week.

I'm using the Gyre XF-130, pulse mode 40%. At the opposite end where the strongest flow is, the SB looks the same as the rest.
I'm just going to continue using the IO and removing sand each change. Still it looks much better than it has in a long time. Usually within 24hrs after a WC it's almost covered again. So maybe I'm on to something. I'll know for sure in a couple more days.

Well it's now been 4 days since removing top layer of SB and 5g WC using IO salt mix.
Usually my SB would be completely covered in diatom looking "stuff" by now. As of today just a few tiny areas exist. I am elated to say the least!

So was it the Reef Crystals causing this issue all along? No other explanation. It is the only thing I've changed.

Back