Nana's 40B

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Well it's now been 4 days since removing top layer of SB and 5g WC using IO salt mix.
Usually my SB would be completely covered in diatom looking "stuff" by now. As of today just a few tiny areas exist. I am elated to say the least!

So was it the Reef Crystals causing this issue all along? No other explanation. It is the only thing I've changed.

You can't rule it out, because of your experiment.
But keep a eye on your ca. and alk.

Oh yeah. I've already increased my ALK/Calc dosing by 3ml each daily. The numbers were actually low before switching, I'm even dosing Mag. So now I'm up to 33ml daily.

Guess I spoke to soon. As of 3:30 today it's starting to show again. Although it took longer to show up, it's still there. Dang it anyway ugh!
Hopefully a couple more WC will do it. Then again it might not be a salt mix only issue. Salt mix & lighting issue?

Pic just taken
d744271d5655a4fc1dc6bde6b3012d4c.jpg

Only 2 red diodes. I'm just gonna keep removing sand with each WC until it stops or all the sand is gone-lol.

I pm'd you but it doesn't look as if it went through. Pic of my light stand.
6f6de80ff77cd6779044fb2c733ee6dd.jpg

Oh that's right, I remember when you got the light stand.
You will just need to make a small shelf somewhere to power the large size power supply.

RO/DI reads 0 as do both reservoirs. Tested using old and brand new meter. All 3 test undetectable for Silicates per Salifert.
My next endeavor will be to pre rinse my socks in RO/DI water before using. Can't see them being the cause but it's something I haven't tried yet.
I wash 7-10 at a time, large load, hot water using 1/2 cup bleach, run a second rinse cycle. Let air dry for no less then a week before using.

Remember this has been going on for almost 2yrs. The constants are, water, lights, salt mix, socks, food, BRS 2prt, substrate and rock.

So, the salt change this time seemed to make a difference, until a few days later.
Did you change socks in that time frame?

Here's crazy for ya. My Royal Gramma loves digging and spitting pretty white sand all over my rock. Just for the heck of it instead of blowing it off right away (it's usually covering my Zoas) I just left it alone to see what would happen. Seriously within hours that pretty white sand turned dusty brown right before my eyes!! What the heck is going on? I've never seen anything like this before.
Oh and another thing. Almost 2yrs old and my rock has NO Coralline growth on it at all. Coralline on the glass, overflow box & power head though. I've scraped it off the overflow box thinking it would help seed the rock. Nope.

all i can suggest, is getting a hand held tds meter. Mine was from air water and ice and cost me $25.
I know u said u did a silicate test but theres other things that make up tds such as heavy metals ( i believe ur cuplrate) and proteins and other chemical crap im sure the water company dumps in to clear and clean the drinking or tap water. R u on a well? I cant remember for the life of me. lol
anyways, my .02
-d

well that blows my hypothesis out the window! LOL
If its reading 0 after ur ro/di than ur unit is doing its job...
dang, this is really pondering.
-d

I'm grasping.. but... what is your magnesium at?
Any chance something your dosing is precipitating out to cause the brown stuff? I had calcium precip out once it was white when it was on the glass, but icky brown where I had scraped and not cleaned it up...

Maybe it's that specific sand. Something wrong with it to begin with.
Maybe try and remove a area in one corner, all of it. See if you can find a different type ( smallest bag ) replace in that corner.

The precipitation is possible as I've also got bad clumping of my SB. (Freaking sand bed) But I don't know how to fix that issue. What causes it? I dose BRS 2 part via a doser, hours apart 3x a day. My Mag is at 1400, ALK 9, Calc 420 and PH 8.2 all per RedSea, tested 2 days ago.

I switched my salt from RC to IO. Did a 5g change and removed at least 2-3 cups of sand from the beds surface. Enough so that all the "stuff" was gone. This all done on the 7th. Here it is today.

8ba15fcad64eae8d702cdf35803b396c.jpg

edae72766ffe495f93317d2282746460.jpg

90bbb1a995ffcc7079d6882ae3d018e6.jpg

2e0be161a8bd40369fe5c81c925c6cc0.jpg

If the new salt is lower in calcium than the old, then precip might really have wings. Its bad now, right? How much are you dosing a day? Is it feasible to just stop dosing say for the weekend and see what happens?
My guess when I had precip was that the test goes all screwy when levels are high enough that they are close to precip... It would read low, I would up my dose and it was low or the same the next day. That would also explain the coralline too, because when things are out of balance (say your calcium is high) they aren't real usable.
Again, I'm grasping, but if it were me, I might turn the dosers off for a few days and see what happens...

My Royal Gramma doesn't do that, but my Melanurus Wrasse, Zebra Dartfish and my One Spot Foxface spray sand all over most of the lower corals. The sand doesn't turn brown and the corals seem to be able to rid themselves of the sand that gets on them. I can't figure out what is causing your diatom problem. What kind of salt are you using?

Back