Nana's 40B

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Well didn't know what to do with my Birds Nest so I hung it-lol. Corals seem to be settling in nicely. Going sockless for a couple weeks just to see what this new skimmer will do. Frag swap in two weeks! :)

999ebda0de916453f53d3365d4901acf.jpg

a99c36b21173074f84093e20d98c6168.jpg

87b26ff05070eab8c3f3a8584a3098c5.jpg

Looking good!
I see that with the new light, you can even have corals in the middle of the tank! :)

Haha thanks dude! But changes they are a coming soon.
First of all I'm having a little anxiety about sending my Gen1 in for the upgrade. This means putting my old LED's back up and I'm almost positive it was responsible for my sand bed issue. I'm just beginning to enjoy a white pretty bed. Then there's my corals & the frag swap coming up.

Second concern is, did I screw up my skimmer? I didn't practice very good patients when setting it up. Tried to adjust it from day one. Now almost a week later and it's not pulling much out. I even removed my sock. There is a little buildup in the neck and cap but that's it. So what do I do?

That's another area you need to be patient. It will start producing soon enough. New skimmers are usually slow to start out.
I wouldn't even worry about any nutrients building. They may a little. But nothing to get worried about.
People run skimmerless tanks and do well.
Nothing there to screw up.
Just let it run.
If I had thought about it, I would have mentioned to save some skimate from the old skimmer.
Adding a little skimate to a new skimmer is like planting a seed. lol

To minimize the down time on the Radion, I'd have it boxed up ready to go out early Monday morning.
I think the tank will do ok for a week.

You really think it'll only be a week? It's ground shipping. Now I gotta call them in the morning because the invoice they emailed me instructs me to download shipping info, which I did but it tells me I've exceeded the number of times it can be downloaded. I didn't even download it once-lol.

You really think it'll only be a week? It's ground shipping. Now I gotta call them in the morning because the invoice they emailed me instructs me to download shipping info, which I did but it tells me I've exceeded the number of times it can be downloaded. I didn't even download it once-lol.

I think it took a little longer for me, but I thought because you are closer.
Plus there are expedited shipping options.

Well the Gen1 is all boxed up and ready to go out in the am. Old lights hung back up. Boy it looks huge!! Here's hoping all goes well.
Tanks doing well. Swaps just around the corner, yahoo me! Jimsreef.com will be bringing me a couple Emerald crabs, hoping to help me battle this freaking bubble algae. Craps popping up everywhere. Plan on getting another Cleaner Shrimp, love those guys. A vendor I bought from last year is bringing more Chalices & Monties, pretty stoked for those. I've decided no more sticks for me. Just can't get them to color up. Oh well, who needs the added stress anyways.
I'm thinking of adding a lil more rock. I'm frustrated with my present scape. I love the look but am very limited for coral placement.

Have a great week Reefers!

Bubble algae sucks. The only thing that has ever worked for me is my gold spot rabbit. Its just too bad they can't go in smaller tanks. I'd put one in every tank I have if I could. (they may nip at fleshy stuff, so far, mine has been a model citizen) There is some bubble algae he can't get to behind the rocks... Its just way too awesome to watch him chase it down when I pop it off into the water column. You'd think I'd dropped mysis in the way he chases after it..
Maybe you should re-evaluate on sticks once you get the light back and the skimmer kicking? The longer this goes, the more clear it becomes that your light... well, I would want to throw that old light into Lake Michigan...

Reefers curse. There will ALWAYS be one thing really happy with any change you make... at least it always seems that way to me. The trick is to figure out what about the change made that thing happy....
I would guess that your light intensity changed when you switched. Acans tend to prefer lower light. If the trend continues, when you put the new light back, I'd try moving the acans into the shade a bit...

I'm confused. My old unit is 180w and 27" long. The Radion is 118w and 11" long. Both have 120° optics and hung same height.
How is the Acan getting less light from the old unit? Or is it getting more light? It's in the same spot?

I'm usually confused, so maybe you should stop listening. :)

I guess I'm working under the assumption that the spectrum on the old (current) light is/was outside usable range, or that the diodes had browned or are under driven. Basically that 'bad' light is the same as low light.
Could just be that the acans hadn't had enough time to adjust yet...

Back