Nana's 40B

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I fill my food grade bucket to 5g. Slowly add 2 1/2 cups while stirring. Continue stirring until almost clear then add a Koralia 750gph power head. Usually it's less then 24hrs before use. Sometimes 48hrs.
There have been times when I've cleaned the bucket and I'm wiping out a brown residue.
I'm told this residue is nothing more than sediment and harmless. According to Randy Holmes-Farley.

I doubt the residue left over in a mixing bucket from RC has anything to do with anything on the sand.

My sand bed does take on a darker look between water changes too, and I siphon my sand and it's all white for a while.
But on mine I have bigger chunks od arrogonite plus shells that seem to get dark first. I hate it and remove some every once in a while.
Since it seems to come and go when changing lights, than maybe diatoms?

Yeah well for the past few days it's looking terrible :( Whatever it is it reacts with light inna big way. So it's either the lighting, salt mix or a combination of the two.

I was just pondering if it were the same process as described in the thread creating the residue. Total long shot, but sometimes problem solving (for me at least) is more about trying to think about things in a different way, ... can be nearly unrelated honestly, it's just about perspective changes. . Like how they they you if you have writers block, just start typing, or retype the last paragraph. ..
That sand bed crap just doesn't seem to fit anything

Even more frustrating is that the majority of my corals are looking awesome.
Do you think it could be my socks? I wash 5-7 at a time in the washer. Large load, 1/2 cup of bleach and double rinse. Then they air dry for at least 7-10 days before being used.

Last edited:
Even more frustrating is that the majority of my corals are looking awesome.
Do you think it could be my socks? I was 5-7 at a time in the washer. Large load, 1/2 cup of bleach and double rinse. Then they air dry for at least 7-10 days before being used.

I don't think so.

That one?
956e5a8683af52c32afe714ffbfd6b16.jpg

Getting ready for a WC. Gonna try a new bag of RC and filter the new mix through a filter sock while adding it to my tank.
I again wiped out my mixing bucket and again the paper towel came away with brown sediment. @spieszak, wonder if you're correct that maybe this sediment is settling on my SB. But then why is it reacting to light? <sigh>

Just before my WC today I got to see my lil Stomatella Snail spawning! Way cool :)
I find it funny how from the front my Clam looks totally blue but from the top down its blue and teal. Which is what made me choose it in the first place. This pic isn't the greatest but you can see a little of the awesome coloring.
b0c127e39376d772660caf165542cad8.jpg

Getting ready for a WC. Gonna try a new bag of RC and filter the new mix through a filter sock while adding it to my tank.
I again wiped out my mixing bucket and again the paper towel came away with brown sediment.

I clean mine out every few water changes too. Coats my mixing pumps too. I've read about that issue with RC for a while now.

Exactly! I use hot water & vinegar. Still my bucket has been stained from this stuff.
What do you think of adding the salt to a sock and running water through the sock? I mean is this sediment getting into our tanks too?

Exactly! I use hot water & vinegar. Still my bucket has been stained from this stuff.
What do you think of adding the salt to a sock and running water through the sock? I mean is this sediment getting into our tanks too?

Seems like too much bother.
I see people talking about it every once in a while. I think Randy even spoke to the issue a few years ago and I don't think there was a definite conclusion about it. But the general consensus was it was harmless.

I was more thinking along the lines of whatever causes it (like low pH when mixing or things precipitating out) might also be occurring IN the tank. I was just suggesting another angle at trying to determine the cause on the sand bed, rather than meaning to say that it was coming from the actual mix...

It's been 2 days since a 5g WC. Usually by this time my SB is covered in "stuff" lol. However it's looking pretty dang good! No new break out and older "stuff" seems to be going away.
I used the new box of RC and filtered new water through doubled up socks while replacing.

Back