Nana's 40B

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Not much to do here but wait!
7e3arezy.jpg

ynybype5.jpg

eha5e6em.jpg

6a7uva2u.jpg

Didn't test for nitrites 7 days ago. Been dosing bacteria every day so I expected low to 0 readings. Exactly what happened with my 26g. No die off from dry rock. Used live sand. Cycling this way is very different then what is considered the norm. Oh and I also pre-soaked my rock for over 2 weeks, adding bacteria to that also.
Plenty of live bacteria present means low to 0 of the 3. I don't take this as my tank being ready for live stock but I could do so safely yet lightly. I also have a fuge full of Chaeto :)

This way worked wonderfully with my 26g so I did it again.

Getting my light stand and hanging my lights. About another week. Then as long as the 3 remain at 0 I'll start transferring my live stock. I've only got 1 fish so the bio-load will be at a minimum :)

Question for you. Never having a sump before what's the method used for water changes? :) I'm trying to get a vision in my head-lol.

Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.

What I would do is turn off the return pump. Let the water settle in the tank ( and sump).
Bring your container that you plan on using for mixing water for water changes and drain the tank until you fill the container.
Then using a sharpie or other permanent marker, put a mark on the edge of the back pane of glass where the water level is.
Replace the water and turn the pump back on.
That's all I do.

Then on water change day, mix the appropriate amount of water, turn off pumps, drain and refill.

Maybe weekly.

I've always done bigger water changes than some. I've always done about 20%.

What percentage do you do on your other tank?

Well it's silly I know but the containers I have are all 5g. Just trying to keep from having to spend more $$.
I've been doing 5g every 10 days on my 26. I'd like to do at least 10-15g bi-weekly on the 40.

I would think that a 8-10 gallon water change every 2 weeks would be plenty.

And no, I don't think it's silly to try and save money and reuse equipment we already have.
I guess it would be more about convenience.

OMG!! My light stand arrived this morning!!! I'm actually laughing right now. So filled with joy!!
LMK what ya'll think.
12 1/2" from water surface. Great coverage! Whites @45 & blues @65
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402418211.711806.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402418235.767014.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.

That's great!!

Are the corals in the other tank under leds?

If not, I would start the light acclimation lower, with a average of 40% to 45%.

Not much at all but noticeable. These lights are kick a$$! Lol. I look over at my T5's and wow what a difference!! The LED's are so crisp looking, and the shimmer is sweet!

I'm sure you have seen all the threads about how powerful the intensity is.
Go slow when going up in intensity and I don't think I would go about a 65% total intensity.
If you went all high light demanding corals, then you could go higher.
I think one of the biggest problems with leds is people don't give the corals time to adjust and end up bleaching them.

Someone once told me blue leds can burn too.
So if it were me I'd turn them down as well.
One thing,,,, I don't have that brand of led lighting so I'm just guessing on what I'd do with mine.

When I moved from T5 on my 50, I went at about 40% total intensity, with a particular blue color program I have with my lights, that gave me about a 20k look.
The program I have moved the intensity from 40% to 65% over 4-5 weeks.

Back