OCD Reefer's New 50 gallon Tank Thread..

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

OCDreefer

So I'm upgrading from my small wimpy tank to a slightly less small and slightly less wimpy tank. Think it will be fun to keep a record of things to see where it goes.

Tank: will be a 50 gallon 36*18*19 (its a slightly taller 40 gallon breeder)
All Black MH canopy and stand: Saltybell will be making this for me.
Sump: 20 gallon tank
Skimmer: NW-150
Flow: vortech mp40 and maybe one or two k1
Overflow: Still deciding, I'm thinking about keeping the current setup i have which is a CPR overflow. It only takes up like 4*6*2 inches in my tank.... might go with a built in overflow and if so go with the 'Herbie' style method.
ATO: probably a 10 gallon tank
Lighting: Undecided...... thinking: 2*150watt MH with 14k phoenix bulbs. And 2*39watt T-5's (Would like to make some reflectors that would work for 150watts DE been seeing some relly great DYI reflectors on this site!)
Chiller: Pacific Coast Import Mini

If your still trying to decide on the overflow and lighting, my personal suggestions would be:

Go with an external overflow. The CPR overflow is certainly the easiest overflow to install, but they have reliability problems long term. All it takes is one minor flood to make it not worth it. Save yourself some piece of mind and put ina real external overflow from the get-go. You wont be sorry. Something like an external wier would provide a ton of surface skimming and would be far more beneficial then a cpr siphon style.

A tank of that depth is a good candidate for T5 only lighting. This will make chilling much easier, and will lower your electricity bills. Depending on the climate in your house, you may not need a chiller at all. Just make sure you get a fixture with individual parabolic reflectors.

Other suggestion: Have some back up power equipment. This is one of the single most important pieces of equipment, yet I see very few people planning for it. A generator is best, but a simple power inverter that you can hook up to your car, or one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E6LEI2 (this is one of the few back up power supply's that will run powerheads).
A temperature controller is also another piece of vital equipment. Failed heaters are one of the leading causes of tank disasters. Ranco makes good barebones temperature controllers( https://diyreef.authsecure.com/shop/index.php?cPath=68_135&osCsid=8b2060f8b8adb17e178679a50d74e7f6 )

Peace,
Jesse

Thanks for the great input.... love to get more recommendations/comments

How do you get an external overflow any thread links on one of these?.... as for the CPR I've had one running for 2 years now and never had an issue.

OCD hopefully you don't mind me jumping in on your thread with a question of my own. I think it relates to the overflow suggestion being proposed.

We've been considering upgrading to a 40 breeder ourselves. Today we were at Blue Sierra and they had the 40B and the 50 gallon side by side. I liked the few additional inches in height the 50 provided but the bottom of the 50 is tempered glass. If I wanted an internal overflow I would have to drill the holes in the back glass. It seems most people prefer the holes to be in the bottom. Why is this? Is this just to get better flow rates by not having to use 90 degree elbows?

NO worries about jumping in, I hope that's a reason for doing these threads! I also like that 50 gallon, was going to go with the 40 breeder but seeing them next to each other made me want to go with the 50. Down side to the 50 tempered bottom and a center brace. This is one of the reasons I'm going with two 150's MH instead of just one 250 MH. As for the overflow I've asked several experienced reefers and none said there would be a problem with going from the back of the tank.

Whoo hoo can't wait to see the build on this :) I agree 2x150's is better then 1 250 those center braces are a pain grrr. Whoo hoo you went with Salty to make your stand :)

It seems most people prefer the holes to be in the bottom. Why is this? Is this just to get better flow rates by not having to use 90 degree elbows?

If you already have a tank made, its much much easier to do an internal overflow, which is what most people use. To make an internal overflow you have to drill the bottom.
Normal internal bottom drilled overflow: http://www.dursostandpipes.com/

Here is an external surface skimming overflow being installed ina 50gallon tank that is already made:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=444094

As you can see, it would be much easier to have that style of overflow built in to the tank initially. Still looking for a pic of one sorry.

I get the concept of internal and external overflow boxes. I am just trying to figure out what the drawbacks of making an internal overflow where I would have to mount the bulkheads in the back glass instead of the bottom. I assumed since I would have to make a "Z" shape with elbows (see below) it would cut down on flow or maybe lead to other problems I hadn't thought of.

overflow.png

That's a good question. A reduction of flow and possibly a little more noise are the only downsides I can think of.

Peace

I get the concept of internal and external overflow boxes. I am just trying to figure out what the drawbacks of making an internal overflow where I would have to mount the bulkheads in the back glass instead of the bottom. I assumed since I would have to make a "Z" shape with elbows (see below) it would cut down on flow or maybe lead to other problems I hadn't thought of.

overflow.png

Don't forget your backup drain ;)

Check this overflow out.... pretty amazing. Guessing this was a special made tank, Found this on the PSAS website, anyone know how he did this? Tank is a 40 gallon breeder.

Overflowdream.jpg

So my small tank flooded (about six gallons) and I pulled the carpet up to help dry. This got me thinking. my new tank is going on the 2nd floor over the garage. I know nothing of construction, should I be worried about the floor and house supporting the larger (50 gallon tank?)

Well i also have my 120, 55, and 40 gallon 2nd floor all above my garage.... dont get me wrong im nervous as hell, but there is no way to say how it will fair in your house without an engineer of some kind for assistance.

Last edited:
Hey stand and canopy is looking great !!!

Where you still wanting two reflectors i have two made already with you name on them.

Back