OCD Reefer's New 50 gallon Tank Thread..

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Yes, more then likely. I want one for sure. (and more then likely two) The only thing is I don't have time to get my tank and stand (and hence the reflectors) tell next week, at the earliest, as I am out of town for work. I am also trying to figure out how to coordinate with Matt on an overflow box. Ideally I would like to make on trip south and get everything in one swoop.

Also can anyone help me (or guide me to someone) who can help me drill my tank once I get it?

i called issaquah glass and they said $25 per hole..... seems a little steep to me. I'll have to hit up Blue Sierra see what they have to say.

I discovered the answer to the question I posed in this thread.
It seems most people prefer the holes to be in the bottom. Why is this?

I filled my tank with water today and tuned the drain and return so there was as little noise as possible. The only noise I hear is water running through the pipes and ball valves between the tank and stand. If the bulkheads lead directly down into the stand my tank would be absolutely silent.

I'm picking up the stand, tank and 40 gallon breeder from Saltybell tomorrow! Hopefully if my buddy (aka truck I'm using) has time I'll get the reflector too. However I'm going to have to come back down south for the overflow box.

Next step: figuring out drilling!

Final got some time to work on the tank, got the glass drilled at perkins. Went to tap plastics and got some pieces cut... here is the results

overflowbox.jpg

tank2.jpg

tank.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Mike... unfortunately after some fresh water tests and simple calculation I have discovered the overflow can handle around 100gph tops........ lame... I might just use a hand drill and try to widen the slights. I know I could tear it down, any suggestion on how to widen my weir without doing this?

So the overflow box is out, my buddy whom has the table saw is out of town for the rest of the month! Anyone want to help a fellow reef cut some teeth into his overflow box???

So the overflow box is out, my buddy whom has the table saw is out of town for the rest of the month! Anyone want to help a fellow reef cut some teeth into his overflow box???

I am booked through Tuesday, if you can't find anyone to help you out sooner let me know and I would be glad to help you out.

Thanks for the offer Braddo! I was able to get the pieces cut out today. Will put it in tonight. Hoping to add water by Friday!

So I purchased a new RO/di unit today and installed it. Tomorrow will be adding water to the tank and finishing the plumbing!

Back