Ok I'm still hooked DD911's 60 cube build...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Looks great so far.
Going to do a refugium in the middle compartment in the sump?

Thank you! Yep that section will be used for a refugium. I tried to make that section as big as I could to maximize the filtering capabilities of a fuge although it probably doesn't matter that much haha.

Wish I would have seen this sooner...I have many plumbing parts and misc supplies left over from my 300g build if you need anything. I am also in Bonney Lake/Buckley...off 234th by hwy gas.

Wish I would have seen this sooner...I have many plumbing parts and misc supplies left over from my 300g build if you need anything. I am also in Bonney Lake/Buckley...off 234th by hwy gas.

Ouch! I should of posted a thread just for plumbing and what I needed. I almost did ;( thank you anyway I have some leftover as well haha

Thank you! Yep that section will be used for a refugium. I tried to make that section as big as I could to maximize the filtering capabilities of a fuge although it probably doesn't matter that much haha.

I like to make my refugium as big as possible. It is a tool to use. Might as well make the best of it.

So I have good news and bad news...good news is the tank itself and sump can hold water without any leaks. The bad news it the drain bulkhead is leaking. ;( I felt like crying and thought I'd tighten it up but that didn't work. So I inspected and realized I forgot I had chipped the glass when I drilled it and I'm 99% sure this is the source of the leaks. So without ripping everything apart I decided to drain the tank about halfway and silicone around the gaps and in the chipped area. I then tightened everything up and now I wait. So tomorrow evening I'll give it another go and hope I stopped the leak.
Look for an update tomorrow hope its a good one ;)

So I have good news and bad news...good news is the tank itself and sump can hold water without any leaks. The bad news it the drain bulkhead is leaking. ;( I felt like crying and thought I'd tighten it up but that didn't work. So I inspected and realized I forgot I had chipped the glass when I drilled it and I'm 99% sure this is the source of the leaks. So without ripping everything apart I decided to drain the tank about halfway and silicone around the gaps and in the chipped area. I then tightened everything up and now I wait. So tomorrow evening I'll give it another go and hope I stopped the leak.
Look for an update tomorrow hope its a good one ;)

If it isn't one thing,, it's another.
Hopefully the silicone will work.

I had that problem in the past on a tank.....the silicone worked in my case. I don't see why it wouldn't in your case!

Thanks guys it worked great no leaks! However now I have another leak in the same place on the return side! I didn't notice it before so not sure why I have a leak there now? :( So I drained the tank and did the same thing I did on the drain bulkhead. Now I wait another 24 hrs for it to cure :( I also made a couple adjustments to the system. I had to build a stand for my skimmer to raise it about 3 inches. I still can't turn my skimmer on though without it overflowing! Must be because of the new plumbing, dirty water and being new. Hopefully after running some carbon for a day or so will help.

I know this question is a dumb one, but I'm gonna anyway.

You do have the gasket on the water side don't you?

I know this question is a dumb one, but I'm gonna anyway.

You do have the gasket on the water side don't you?

Yes...but not a dumb question as it would make sense if I did because I had leaks on both sides. I think it was due to the small chips I created when drilling the holes. Now zero leaks anywhere which is a prayer answered haha.

Yes...but not a dumb question as it would make sense if I did because I had leaks on both sides. I think it was due to the small chips I created when drilling the holes. Now zero leaks anywhere which is a prayer answered haha.

I'm glad it worked out.
I just helped a friend set up a tank that had 4 bulkheads pre-installed in the bottom and I noticed, just before filling with water that the gaskets were on the outside.

A couple things that came up while I was getting the tank ready for water again. It's pretty tough aquascaping in a cube lol. I just couldn't seem to find the right combo with the rocks I was given and utilize all 40 lbs of it. So my last tank I basically used smaller pieces and lots of rubble rock 1-6" or so. I decided to do the same and chiseled all of the rock into small pieces. I then created the island using this method and I'm very happy with the results. Lots of open space and lots of mini caves, holes and openings for fish to hide and explore. Also coral placement will be easy and I plan to eventually do more sps so lots of room for colonies to grow out. Second thing I discovered is my 20g sump will not hold all the water if the pump shuts off :( short by about 2 gallons. My fault as I drilled the return hole the same height as the drain for looks rather than function. So I'll be picking up a check valve and also coming up with some sort of return nozzle that I can extend upward and then out. Probably use an a couple elbows and a reducer to strengthen the flow.

Back