Phosphate Remover Article

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NaH2O said:
hmmm....on my fluidized reactor there is a pad that acts as a barrier prior to the return to the tank (or in my case on the fuge), but nothing on the end of the tube. I was imagining a very small micron - 5 or so at the end of the outflow tube. Maybe the pads are still allowing too much "dust" to pass.

Nikki

If you run it into a filter sock you will see, it continues to turn the sock a rusty color for the life of the material. As you fluidize it its continues to be ground up into smaller particles.
On a side note it also absorbs kalk. If its to close to your kalk drip it will slowly turn white. My question with this being the case does the kalk cause the P to precip back into the tank.

Don

Mike, I do not believe anybody has adequately answered the TN/RP relationship. Lots of theories--iron release, rapid nutrient depletion, pH changes. Don bring up a good point in regards to KW effluent in proximity to RP output. I believe changing alk/pH will cause "P04 pools" to be released back into the water. Bob

One more thing is not to use RP with ozone. The small particles that you cannot see get melted in a skimmer running ozone. This causes the skimmer to turn brown but also creates a build-up on inner skimmer walls. But it does give you a pretty good insight of how much is getting into the tank that were not seeing.

Don

bad things happen when adding rust to the tank...sorry,,,been reading Jerels posts at TRT. :)

I have been using Phosban without real problems I've noticed, but now? :confused:

How many people out there (here) are using this or other Iron based P remover?

And if these iron based removers are turning out bad, then that else will remove phosphates? (not to start a BB vs. DSB discussion here either)

I would love to hear how others are getting phosphates out of their reefs. I know to and use RO DI water, watch how much I feed, bla bla bla. But no matter how care you are (that goes for you BB reefers too) sooner or later P gets into our reefs. So how do you get it out?

mojoreef said:
Remove the detritus

Mike

Now mojo, I knew that would be your answer :lol: ... There has to be other ways to remove P then lack of detritus and what kalk precipitates. Are you using Phosban of Rowaphos?

Remember I am a sand bed guy and detritus is a fact of my life. :D

How else???

bobgoode, I have been following that thread but the jury is still out for me.

maxx; dude, you are funny.

Any other ways besides trying something not proven (JMO) or giving into the dark side?

after a few weeks you wont even realize your barebottom,,,good clean natural...its a way of life.

i think im talking about a reef,,,LOL

Redeye thier is nothing that is better at nutrient removal through detritus removal, nothinng is even close. Also P removal through the use of Kalk is smoke my friend. What happens is that the calcium percipatates P out of the water and forms a solid on the sand or rock. Problem is that bacteria releases it back out with in the next 12 hours.
Redeye just because you have a dsb does not mean you can remove detritus and follow close to the same husbandry say that I do. Your dsb has a very limited ammount of bioload that it can handle, you need to give is a hand. Simple stir the top one inch of the bed and syphon out the detritus that gets suspended from doing this. This will greatly reduce the amount of pressure you ar putting on the system. Do it every three weeks or so and you will greatly extend the life of your bed.

BOB you got stock in Zoevit brother???LOL

Mike

Mike, once one has used this system for a few wks. an experienced eye can "see" differences not present before it's use. Bob

The initial Cost of Zeovit system ...Ouch. Experience is a good teacher, Thanks Mike.
People can listen and learn or they can try to buy something new to fix all. I will wait and learn from someone elses mistake and save money by not making the same. The fear of losing coral is enough for me. I have been visiting lots of forums the past year. I want to see this Zeovit system and learn. I do not see Zeovit everywhere yet. There must be a reason. I have read threads from different forums from years past. I learned That Mike guy(Mojo) has been around. I learned He is trustworthy and has nothing to gain but friendship and I have learned he loves helping people all over(even NC). Sorry, I just think someone needed more respect. I am not mad and I mean no harm to anyone. Can we fix one thing at a time and learn what causes what instead of saying buy this please?.....A few Fish shops have done me wrong with the"buy this oh it fixes all" to me, So I have my guard up on new fix it all things. That is why I visit these forums, go to club meetings, and visit friends that share this hobby. Just my two cents...

Ed, I feel thats a good position to take....I'm right there w/ you. Zeo might be the coolest thing since tickle me elmo, but I'm just gonna hang out a bit and see what the long haul brings regarding this....
Nick

Hi Ed, I certainly respect your viewpoint that is shared by many. I do not want to derail this thread; I was answering RedEye's Q regarding another means to reduce P04's. Bob

Thanks Mojo, your right. I have thought about putting pvc under my rocks and sand, and blast the crap (literally) out of it once or so a day to get the detritus out. Just a thought? I can't remember if I asked you this, but do you use Phosban or Rowapho?

I appreciate everyones input.

Anyone know anything about Caribsea PhosBuster 2 part phosphate removing liquid?

mojoreef said:
Dr B I wouldnt go for the deltec unit, ust way to expensive. Me and Big T put two units together for less then 60 bucks. I think we need to talk someone into starting to make these things. I say we beat on on John at IAP or maybe even Big T, to start pumping out some reasonably priced units.

Mike

DO you have plans for them? I could try nock a couple off and see how it goes.

Steve

Back