Rose bubble anemone care

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

He started looking pretty bad about 24 hours after I put him in the QT. There are several things that could have been the cause:

- That was the really hot day we had and I noticed the temp of the QT was up to 85. I put on a fan in the evening, and the temperature was down to 78 by morning, which is a pretty big shift.

- Could have been the powerhead that got him

- Could have been a bad specimen to start with. He was not attached when I bought him, which I've learned is a bad sign.

- Trouble acclimating?

It's hard to know. But he is starting to show steady improvement and I've learned a lot about anemones in the process which I should have researched before buying this guy.

Here's a bone to toss out for discussion: several people have commented that my tank is too "young" (about 2 months old) for an anemone. While I don't dispute this, what's the reasoning? If all my water parameters are the same, what's the difference chemically between an "aged" tank and a "newer" one?

Here's the latest picture taken today. He seems to be doing ok. His color is not back yet but he is looking better nonetheless. The tentacles are not really "sticky" so I don't think he's ready to take food.

I've been changing about 15% water and swapping out half the carbon every two days. Lights are on 8 hours a day (2x65W PC).

View attachment 14562

Slickdonkey said:
If all my water parameters are the same, what's the difference chemically between an "aged" tank and a "newer" one?

that is a good question, consitering, i had a brittle star in my tank in the rocks b4 i had water in my tank.

i was told by meny people that i have to wait longer the tanks not cycled. mean while the guy at my lFs told me to to wait to long or the rock will start to die off. (very cured) ride it out, and see what happens.

i really dont know anything about anonme's but i plan on geting my self a hammer frag soon, i saw one the other day it was 20 bucks. i just didnt have it.

soon

Slickdonkey said:
Here's the latest picture taken today. He seems to be doing ok. His color is not back yet but he is looking better nonetheless. The tentacles are not really "sticky" so I don't think he's ready to take food.

I've been changing about 15% water and swapping out half the carbon every two days. Lights are on 8 hours a day (2x65W PC).

View attachment 14562

That photo there is a lot better.

Keep on doing what you're doing and it will heal. You see how the mouth has closed?

Do not attempt to feed it yet. I would start feeding in a week with piece(s) of mysis (Hikari brand, as they are small).

Best,
Ilham

Slickdonkey said:
Could have been a bad specimen to start with. He was not attached when I bought him, which I've learned is a bad sign.

Yes, as I mentioned above.

An anemone rolling around in a tank and then bought is an anemone which will most likely die, if not slowly.

Best,
Ilham

For me maturity in a tank is a tank that has stabilized...no small cycles of any kind, no big additions of livestock, supplement dosing is established, and a tank that has been through all of the seasons, as well. For instance...if you set your tank up in the winter, you don't know what will happen when the heat of summer comes. You may experience temperature issues that you need to work out. The same can be said for a tank set up in the summer. You don't really know what will happen with the tank in the winter, not only with heaters but with CO2 build up inside, which would drop the pH. Supplementation/additives to stabilize water parameters are getting played with early on in a tank's life, as well. All of these things can cause shifts in water chemistry and may cause issues. There is also a tendency to change things in a tank when its new. Maybe you change the flow, aquascaping not quite right, or the lights (height, brand, etc.), or play with a skimmer setting, adding fans, etc. With more sensitive livestock, you can see why you want your tank to be "mature".

I was afraid someone would ask...:|

This morning I went out to the QT and found the anemone stuck in the filter intake. I had covered the powerhead but not the filter intake. It looked like it would be difficult to get to and figured he couldn't get himself stuck in it. This just proves these guys can squeeze into the most annoying of places.

The good news is that he's is still alive and doesn't look as bad as he was after I got him, so I'm hopeful I've only delayed the recovery rather than dealt him a death blow.

Henceforward I shall be known as "Slickdonkey: Slayer of Anemones".

i have caught my owen anenomes and bought 4 i have only lost one and that was old lights, anenomes are light sensitive sum need heaps like heriticari but sticky tips just need feedings i have seen the ones in my tank catch floating partickles hermit crabs and fish, i had a bubble tip grow from a rock from nowhere under 4 fluros i do belive u can keep them under 2 fluros sum would disagree but i have seen results,
im also not sure how true clowns damaging anenomes i have not expirences this with eiather Occ. or with my maroon clowns who have seemed to entice the anenome to open to there fullness, im sure elmo has had more expirence and is more then likly correct but thats just my opinon anenomes are fairly hardy and also love to settel right next to xenia
hope everything gose well and dont forget anenomes are a big learnig curve

Update

The RTBA is in the main tank! I would snap a picture but wouldn't you know... as soon as I put him in he crawled right towards the back and is facing where I can hardly see him. From what I can see he appears happy... tentacles all puffed up and enjoying the current from my closed loop.

He just didn't seem to be improving past a certain point in the QT. No doubt this is because of inadequate flow and lighting. I hope within a month or so he will be looking even better. So far my clown has not given him the time of day, but then again my clown prefers the front of the tank. Maybe he can talk him into moving.

Thanks to everyone for their support and advice... especially Elmo18: Grandmaster of Anemones.

WELL DONE DUDE!!!!!!!!!!
As a keeper of WAY too many anemones through the decades, I don't think I have ever seen one soooooo badly folded, that finally recovered.

NOT slayer, HEALER

Yeah this one definitely had a bad case of powerheaditis. Hope he continues to recover in an environment that should be more to his liking!

Update

Ok, two weeks later and he's looking even better. He finally came out from behind the rocks for the first time since I put him in the main tank, so I was able to snap some pictures before he disappeared again. I think I pissed him off because I changed from 10K to 20K bulbs so he's trying to find that sweet spot again.

Anyway I fed him a nice piece of shrimp which he devoured, and then moved to the back of the tank again. He could still look better but it's just a matter of time now.

Let's compare. Yes, it really is the same anemone.

BEFORE:
Fish094.jpg

AFTER:
Fish235.jpg

Fish236.jpg

Hey Brian.

Looks like it is on its way back nicely! IMO/IME feed several smaller pieces, rather than one big piece.

Best,
Ilham

Back